With all these new, fancy toys on the market, do dogs still love a good old ball toy? The answer is yes! A ball toy never goes out of fashion and most dogs still love a great game of fetch. We’ll take a look at 5 of the best ball dog toys, comparing durability, breed suitability, entertainment value, and price.
The Best Ball Dog Toys
More Detailed Ball Dog Toy Reviews
Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy review
- Best all-rounder
- Durable and long-lasting
- Bounces and floats
The Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy is 1 of the best ball dog toys on the market, providing plenty of durability with a tough rubber core designed to stand up to tough chewers. These balls bounce, float, and can even be thrown from a launcher, all to provide the ultimate game of fetch.
I found that these balls bounce better than most other balls I’ve tried with my dogs. I also liked that the bright colors make these balls easy to find if, like my spaniel, your dog gets distracted and forgets to fetch the ball. These balls are available in a range of sizes to suit all breeds, with this listing providing options for small and medium breeds.
Best of all for owners, these balls come at a very reasonable low price. You even get 2 in a pack so, in my opinion, they’re great value for money.
- Most owners found these balls highly durable, saying they stood up to their dog's tough chewing
- Owners liked that the ball was free of fuzz, as their dogs had managed to chew off and swallow pieces of the fuzzy exterior on tennis balls
- Many said that these balls are a favorite in their home for both dog and owner
- Owners felt that the balls were a reasonable price and that getting 2 in the pack made them great value
- Many found the balls very bouncy and said they were excellent for games of fetch
- These balls float which makes them perfect for play in all environments, both indoors and outdoors
- Some determined dogs were able to chew through these balls when left unsupervised
- Some owners wished there were a wider range of sizes available, feeling they couldn’t quite get the right size for their dog
- Size guide can be misleading, with some owners ending up with a ball too small for their dog
- Some owners felt that these balls weren’t good value for money
KONG Squeakair Balls Packs Dog Toy review
- Best tennis ball
- Durable yet soft
- Squeaky and bouncy
If your dog prefers a more traditional ‘tennis ball’, then the KONG Squeakair Balls Packs Dog Toy may be the 1 for you. Designed like a normal tennis ball but finished with a softer, non-abrasive material, this ball is designed to last but be gentle on your dog’s mouth. This ball even squeaks to provide plenty of stimulation for your dog and keep them engaged in games of fetch.
I found these balls really bouncy, and my dogs loved them. They come in a range of sizes to suit all breeds. These balls come in a 2 or 3 pack depending on the size of ball and are an amazingly low price.
- Owners appreciated the wide size range, feeling they could get a ball that was a perfect size for their dog, in particular, those with small breeds who usually struggle to get a ball small enough
- Many said these balls are an absolute favorite in their house for dogs and owners alike
- Squeaker keeps dogs engaged in fetch games, even for those who usually lose interest
- Owners generally found these balls very durable and long-lasting, even standing up to regular rough play or moderate chewing
- Many felt that these balls were great value for money, especially given the multi-pack
- Some owners found the size guide confusing and ended up with a ball that was smaller than they expected
- Some dogs were able to chew through these balls when left unsupervised
- Outer cover can be prone to splitting or peeling and coming off the inner ball
- Some felt that these balls weren’t as good quality as they expected, and therefore weren’t good value
- After a period of regular play, the squeaker can sometimes stop working which owners and dogs found disappointing
KONG Jumbler Ball Dog Toy, Color Varies review
- Best for large and giant breeds
- Sizes to specifically suit bigger breeds
- Highly engaging and stimulating
The KONG Jumbler Ball Dog Toy provides plenty of fun and stimulation, with an interior tennis ball encased in a large, durable plastic ball with handles. The tennis ball rolls around inside during play which I found kept my dog interested in the game for longer. You can use this toy for games of fetch or utilize the 2 handles to play tug.
I found that the handles made it easy for my dog to pick up the toy and run around with it in her mouth, which she loved. This ball even squeaks to enhance playtime and excite your dog. It comes in 2 sizes to suit medium to giant breeds and while it’s slightly more pricey than other options, I feel its uniqueness and engaging features make it great value.
- Many owners said that this toy was highly durable, even for large and giant breeds who usually destroy other toys
- Inner ball is engaging for dogs, with owners saying it was great for both interactive and solo play
- Owners found that the squeaking aspect of the toy was exciting for their dog and kept their attention for longer
- Many owners felt that this toy was high quality and worth the price
- 2 handles make the toy great for games of tug, with owners saying it was easy for both themselves and their dog to get a good grip
- Lots of owners said that this was their dogs’ favorite toy, and they would repurchase it when needed, as well as recommend it to other owners
- Some owners found that their power chewers were able to chew through this toy after a period of use
- Some dogs weren’t interested in this toy and didn’t want to play with it
- Plastic outer ball can melt if left outdoors in the heat for long periods
- Some owners found that if their dog tore a section of the toy, the squeaker stopped working
- Some felt his toy wasn’t good value for money or as high-quality as they expected, especially when compared to other KONG toys they had tried
Starmark Treat Dispensing Chew Ball Tough Dog Toy review
- Best treat dispensing ball
- Great for fetch or holding treats
- Designed for tough chewers
On your hunt for the best ball dog toys, the Starmark Treat Dispensing Chew Ball Tough Dog Toy should be a firm contender. This ball is designed to be highly durable and stand up to tough chewers, while also being flexible and soft on your dog’s mouth. The ball rolls, bounces, and floats for an amazing game of fetch.
This toy also doubles a treat dispenser, with holes to fill with treats or your dog’s kibble. I found that this option kept my dog engaged in play for longer and was even a great way to make mealtimes more fun. This ball is available in a range of sizes to suit small to large breeds and is a very reasonable price.
- Many owners said this ball was extremely durable and lasting months or even years of regular play
- Stands up to tough chewing, even with large breed dogs
- Lightweight and very bouncy, making games of fetch comfortable and engaging
- When used as a treat dispenser, owners found this ball could keep their dog busy for long periods
- Owners generally felt this ball was both physically and mentally engaging for their dog
- Ball can have a chemical smell when first purchased, which some owners found concerning
- Some struggled to find the right sized treats for the ball, finding they were either too big and therefore hard for their dog to access, or too small and fell out of the toy too easily
- Some dogs were able to chew through this toy when left unsupervised
- Some owners stated the outside of the ball felt ‘greasy’ or ‘slippery’ which was off-putting
- Size description can be misleading, with some owners ending up with a toy that was the wrong size for their dog
JW Pet Hol-ee Roller Dog Toy, Color Varies review
- Best for multiple uses
- Lots of ways to play
- Durable and flexible
If you want a ball with multiple play options, the JW Pet Hol-ee Roller Dog Toy is an excellent choice. It bounces and rolls for games of fetch, while its honeycomb shape means it can also be chewed, stretched during tug, or filled with treats! Made from durable rubber, this ball is designed to last and stand up to most chewers.
I found the multiple ways to play with this ball kept my dogs interested for longer, in particular when combining the treat-filled ball with a game of fetch. This ball is available in a range of sizes to suit all breeds and comes at a very reasonable price.
- Many owners said that this was their dog’s favorite toy, and they would keep coming back to it, even when other toys were on offer
- Owners liked that the toy was lightweight, making it easy to throw for them and carry around for their dogs
- Most owners said that this ball was very durable but not designed for unsupervised chewing
- Owners loved the multiple ways to use this toy, feeling it was very engaging for their dog
- Ball is suitable for indoor and outdoor play, which owners found very useful
- Since the ball is lightweight, it makes indoor games of fetch safer and less likely to be destructive to the home even when play is rough
- Power chewers may be able to chew through this ball when left unsupervised due to its shape and hollow center
- Some owners said that the ball had a strange scent when it first arrived, which they were concerned about
- Some felt that the toy was not good quality and therefore, wasn’t good value for money
- Due to the size of the holes not all treats will stay in the ball, so it can take some trial and error to figure out which treats work to use the ball as a treat dispenser
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 2 December, 2022
Things to Look for in a Ball Dog Toy
On your hunt for the best ball dog toy, you should consider the following factors to help you make the best choice:
It’s always a good idea to look for a durable ball. How durable you need the ball to be will depend on your dog. If they’re a power chewer, you’ll need a ball that’s highly durable and made from strong materials.
If they’re a light chewer or older, a softer, more flexible ball may be more suitable. Look at the description for an indicator of the chew strength the ball will stand up to, along with the reviews.
A ball made from high-quality materials is likely to last longer and ensure your dog gets the best quality ball possible. Avoid products with include harmful chemicals such as BPA for your dog’s safety.
Correct Size for Your Dog
Finding a ball that’s the right size for your dog is crucial for their safety and comfort. The ball should be small enough to fit in their mouth comfortably, yet big enough that it doesn’t pose a choking risk.
Suitable Weight for You and Your Dog
The ball’s weight is almost as important as its size to ensure your dog (and you) can play with it comfortably. Smaller dogs will need a lighter ball, while larger dogs may be better suited to a heavier, more sturdy ball. The ball’s weight will also impact how far you can throw it.
Type of Ball
There are so many different types of ball with different finishes, purposes, and features. Take your time to think about what you’ll use the ball for and what type of ball your dog might prefer. For example, a more traditional ‘tennis ball’ might be better suited for games of fetch, while a sturdier rubber ball can be great for dogs who love to chew.
Why Dogs Love Balls
So, the question is, why do dogs love balls so much? Their ancestors were bred to work, with many being trained to hunt, chase, catch, and bring prey back to their owners. Therefore, our dogs today have that instinct to chase, catch, and fetch built into them innately.
Playing fetch with a ball fulfills this desire and mimics that past behavior. It naturally feels good to your dog, with the game exciting them and leaving them feeling fulfilled afterwards. Aside from that, balls are easy to play with, often make fun sounds, and even bounce: playing fetch is downright fun for your dog.
To a dog, their owner is their whole world so playing any game with you brings them joy. Playing ball with your best pal is an excellent bonding experience for you both.
The Benefits of Playing With a Ball Toy
As well as being fun and allowing you to bond, playing with a ball has lots of benefits for your dog including:
- Providing exercise which promotes better all-round health and reduces the risk of future health issues
- Improving your dog’s agility and reflexes
- Strengthening their muscles, joints, and bones
- Providing all-important mental stimulation
- Tackling boredom, frustration, and behavioral issues
- Building trust between you and your dog
- Helping your dog to maintain a healthy weight
- Building your dog’s confidence
- Teaching your dog to listen, respond, and come back to you, which therefore aids with training
- Fulfilling their natural urge to chase in a healthy, safe way
Overall, playing fetch (as well as other games with your dog) help to keep your dog happier and healthier!
Ball Dog Toy Safety Advice
Always choose a ball that is the right size and chew strength for your dog. When possible, supervise your dog during playtime to ensure their safety.
Ball Dog Toy FAQ
How long should you play fetch with your dog?
How long your game of fetch should last depends on many factors including your dog’s size, age, and health. In general, around 30 minutes to an hour is long enough. Keep a close eye on your pup for signs of fatigue: they will usually let you know when the game is over.
Is playing ball bad for dogs?
No, when done correctly and without overexerting your dog, playing ball is not bad for your dog. In fact, it has many benefits.
The right ball can provide hours of fun for you and your pup! You can both make the most of playtime together.