Breed Advisor only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
What is the Best Brush for Havanese?
- Top Pick: Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Dogs
- Second best: Li’l Pals Coated Tips Dog Slicker Brush
- Third best: Safari Wire Pin Brush for Dogs
- Recommended: Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush
- Recommended: Li’l Pals Double-Sided Dog Comb
Comparing the Best Brush for Havanese
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Brushes for the Havanese
Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Dogs review
- Best self-cleaning slicker brush
- Pins retract for cleaning
- Comfort grip handle
When you’re looking for the best brush for a Havanese, it’s definitely worth considering the Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Dogs. The stainless-steel pins work to detangle your dog’s coat without being harsh on their skin. The pins retract at the touch of a button, allowing you to remove the hair easily, making cleaning a breeze.
I loved that this brush had a comfort grip handle which I found was both comfortable to hold and gave me plenty of control during grooming. It’s available in a small size, perfect to get to all those hard-to-reach areas of your pup’s little body.
- Most owners found the self-cleaning aspect of this brush very useful
- Owners typically found this brush was effective at removing loose hair and dirt from their dog’s coat
- Comfort-grip handle makes the brush easy and comfortable to hold
- Many said this brush was durable and they felt it would stand up to wear over time
- Some said their dog enjoyed being groomed with this brush, even those who usually don’t like grooming
- Some found the self-cleaning mechanism was prone to breakage after a while
- Some owners of dogs with thick coats found the brush pins weren’t strong enough
- Some felt the pins were too sharp and worried they were harsh on their dog’s skin and coat
- Some found the brush didn’t remove as much loose hair as other brushes they’d tried
Li’l Pals Coated Tips Dog Slicker Brush review
- Best slicker brush
- Small size
- Flexible wire pins
The Li’l Pals Coated Tips Dog Slicker Brush is another great option for a slicker brush, made in a small size specifically for small breed dogs. The flexible wire pins work to detangle your dog’s coat, while also removing dirt and loose fur. There are plastic tips on the bristles to ensure it’s gentle on your dog’s coat.
I found that the small size was perfect for my toy breed, and the pins weren’t scratchy on their skin. I found this brush easy to use and comfortable to hold.
- Owners of small and toy breeds, as well as puppies, found this brush was small enough to brush their dog thoroughly, including in hard-to-reach areas and around their little face
- Most owners felt this brush was gentle on their dog’s skin, even for those with sensitive skin
- Many owners found this brush was effective at removing tangles and mats
- Many found the brush helped to remove loose hair and reduce shedding
- Some owners said their dog liked being groomed with this brush
- Owners of medium and large breed dogs found this brush was too small for their dog
- Some owners of long-haired breeds found this brush wasn’t effective enough
- Some felt this brush was too harsh, stating it pulled at their dog’s hair or scratched their skin
- Some owners found the handle was too small, making it difficult to hold
Safari Wire Pin Brush for Dogs review
- Best wire pin brush
- Ideal for daily brushing
- Durable handle
If you’re looking for a pin brush, the Safari Wire Pin Brush for Dogs is an excellent option, with soft pins designed for daily brushing. This brush gently removes loose hair and dirt from your dog’s coat, leaving it looking smooth and healthy. It can be used alongside other tools to tackle tangles and mats.
The high-quality handle is designed to be both comfortable to hold and durable. It’s available in a range of sizes, including a small size, to suit your dog. I felt this brush was high-quality and perfect for daily grooming.
- Owners typically found this brush was great for tackling tangles, mats, and removing loose hair and dirt from their dog’s coat
- Flexible pins are gentle on dog’s coat and skin, with many owners feeling they didn’t pull, scratch, or tug
- Many owners felt this brush was good quality, stating it was durable and well-made
- Many said this brush left their dog’s coat in great condition
- Owners generally found the handle was easy and comfortable to hold
- Some felt the brush was too harsh on their dog’s skin and coat
- Some found the handle cracked or the pins became loose after a period of use
- Some owners of thick-coated dogs found the brush didn’t go through their dog’s coat as well as they’d hoped
- Some felt this brush wasn’t as high-quality as they expected
Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush review
- Best combo brush
- Pin brush and bristle brush in 1
- Perfect for daily brushing
The Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush is both great value and very convenient, with 2 brush types in 1. 1 side is a pin brush, with stainless steel pins and rounded tips, ideal for daily brushing. The other is a bristle brush, with nylon bristles to help you redistribute your dog’s natural oils as you brush, leaving their coat soft and shiny.
I found that the ergonomic handle made holding the brush and getting good control easy. I loved that you got 2 brushes in 1 and for such a low price, and in general I felt this was a high-quality option for daily grooming.
- Owners found this brush was effective at removing loose hair and dirt, as well as tackling tangles
- Owners felt getting 2 brushes in 1 was both handy for grooming and made the brush excellent value
- Many owners said this brush was comfortable to hold and easy to use
- Many said this brush made their dog’s coat soft and shiny, leaving it looking healthy
- Owners of dogs with long or thick coats found this brush moved through their dog’s coat with little effort
- Some found the brush wasn’t as effective as they hoped, finding it didn’t remove tangles and mats well
- Some owners of short-haired breeds felt the brush was too harsh for their dog
- Some found the brush broke after a brief period of use
- Some owners found this brush hard to clean especially when their dog was heavily shedding
Li’l Pals Double-Sided Dog Comb review
- Best comb
- Small size for small dogs
- Great addition to grooming kit
While it’s not a brush, the Li’l Pals Double-Sided Dog Comb deserves a mention as it can be an essential piece of grooming kit for your Havanese. This little comb is excellent for helping to remove tangles and stubborn mats, as well as for grooming your dog’s delicate little face. It can even be helpful to remove dirt and debris gently and quickly from your dog’s fur.
1 side of the comb has 32 closely spaced stainless-steel teeth and the other has 17 teeth spaced further apart, allowing you to alternate sides for different uses. It comes in a small size specially designed for small and toy breed dogs. I found this comb was very handy, especially for my dog’s face, and it was easy to use.
- Owners found this comb was very useful for removing dirt, debris, and loose hair from their dog’s coat, especially around the face
- Most owners felt the comb was gentle on their dog’s skin and coat
- Owners of toy and small breeds found this little comb was the perfect size for their dog
- 2 sides make the brush more versatile during grooming which owners appreciated
- Many found the comb was comfortable to hold and easy to use
- Some owners found the comb was too small for their dog
- Some experienced breakage, especially with the pins breaking after a period of use
- Some owners found the handle too small to hold comfortably
Things to Look for in a Brush for a Havanese
When you’re looking for the best brush for a Havanese, you can look for the following:
Choosing the right type of brush will help you to groom your dog effectively. Typically, a slicker brush, pin brush, and comb are the best choices for a Havanese.
A brush made with high-quality materials is more likely to do a better job during grooming, be safer for your dog, and be more durable.
As mentioned, quality materials are key for durability. You can also check the reviews for indications of whether other owners find the brush stands up to wear. This is even more important with a Havanese because they usually require daily brushing so the brush will be used frequently.
Comfortable to Hold
Since you’ll be grooming your dog a lot, it’s important you’re comfortable. Choose a handle that is comfy to hold and easy to grip, so you have plenty of control during grooming. Many handles will state they are ergonomic or have easy-grip areas.
Easy to Clean
A brush that’s easy to clean will make your life easier. Some will even be self-cleaning, which can be useful if you often struggle to get hair out of your dog’s brushes.
While a brush that’s larger will help you to cover more surface area of your dog’s coat quickly, since your dog is so small it’s important the brush is small enough to get into all areas of their body safely and comfortably.
Havanese Coat Basics
Havanese have a silky, double coat, meaning they have 2 layers: an undercoat and that beautiful, silky outer coat. They naturally have a very long coat which is high maintenance, requiring daily brushing. Some owners choose to cut the coat short, making it easier to maintain.
Owners can choose to cord their dog’s coat, which means it forms into cord like mats, similar to dreadlocks. However, this style also takes a lot of maintenance. No matter how you choose to keep your pup’s coat, they’re going to look adorable.
It’s important you get your Havanese used to grooming as early on as possible to reduce stress and teach them what you expect. Grooming keeps their coat free of mats, tangles, and dirt, and ensures it looks and feels healthy.
Grooming provides an excellent opportunity to keep an eye on your dog’s health, allowing you to notice any skin irritations or lumps early and deal with them promptly. It’s also an excellent bonding experience, building trust between you and your dog.
How to Brush Your Havanese
You should brush your Havanese daily if you keep their coat long, or 2 or 3 times a week if it’s kept short. When you’re brushing, ensure you get right down the undercoat as this is where mats tend to form. Separate your dog’s coat into sections so that you can be thorough.
Before you brush each section, lightly mist your dog’s coat with water, water mixed with dog conditioner, or a conditioning spray. Misting the coat helps to prevent breakage and keeps your dog’s coat in good condition.
Brush with firm, even strokes and take your time (you’ll get used the amount of pressure needed to be thorough yet not too harsh for your dog). Give your dog breaks as needed and be sure to keep things fun by giving them plenty of praise, attention, and treats!
As well as brushing, your Havanese will also need to be bathed now and then to keep them clean, healthy, and smelling fresh. Use a high-quality dog shampoo and bathe them once every 3 or 4 weeks, or more frequently if needed. In general, a conditioning shampoo is best, or you can follow up the shampoo with a conditioner.
Your dog’s coat may need regular trims or cuts, depending on how long you keep it. You can choose to do this yourself or take your dog to a professional groomer. You should also regularly trim their nails to ensure they’re comfortable while walking.
Clean your dog’s eyes and ears with a specific cleaning solution designed for the area, or gentle, dog-safe wipes. Your pup should also have a regular oral hygiene routine to keep their teeth and gums healthy, including brushing their teeth.
Havanese Brush FAQs
What kind of brush should you use on your Havanese?
A pin brush, slicker brush, and comb are typically the most suitable to groom your Havanese.
How often should a Havanese be brushed?
If you keep your dog’s coat long, daily brushing is essential to keep their coat healthy. If it’s shorter, 2 or 3 times a week might be enough.
With regular brushing and the right brush, your Havanese will be looking their best and showing off that distinctive coat wherever you go.