If your dog struggles with anxiety, it can be really upsetting for both you and them. As owners, we love our dogs dearly and want them to be healthy and happy. There are lots of ways to calm your dog’s anxiety and help them feel more at ease. Calming dog beds can be a great way to help your anxious pup, providing them with a safe, cozy space to rest and relax. We’ll look at 5 of the best calming beds, comparing calming features, material quality, breed suitability, and price.
The Best Calming Dog Beds
More Detailed Calming Dog Bed Reviews
Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed review
- Best donut bed
- Round shape with bolstered edge
- Self-warming for extra comfort
If you need the best calming bed for a dog, the Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed is an excellent option, providing plenty of comfort and support. The bed is a soft, plush material designed to feel cozy, comfortable, and reassuring for your pup. The donut shape combined with the raised bolster edge encircles your dog like a little nest, letting them feel safely enclosed and snuggled up.
A special insulation layer within the bed radiates your dog’s heat back to them, making the bed self-heating. My chihuahua loved this feature and I felt that it provided extra comfort both physically and emotionally. The bed is made from high-quality nylon and faux fur, designed to be easy to clean and durable.
This bed comes in a range of sizes to suit all breeds and is a very reasonable price considering its calming features.
- Many owners said their dog absolutely loved this bed and would choose it over other sleeping spots in the home
- Soothing and calming for anxious dogs, elderly dogs, and those with health issues
- Owners felt that the bed was generally durable and long-lasting
- Many owners said that their dog sleeps much better in this bed, which also means they as owners sleep more peacefully
- Several owners stated that the bed is easy to wash and dry, and to generally keep clean
- Good value for money, with owners saying it was high-quality and impressive for the price
- Can be slippery on wood floors, with owners saying it can slide around a bit when their dog is getting in and out of the bed
- Some owners found the bed broke or became worn when in the washing machine
- Some found that the bottom of the bed wasn’t as padded as they expected, and therefore didn’t give their dog the support they needed
- Some owners felt that the bed wasn’t good quality, finding it didn’t wear well
FurHaven Quilted Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover review
- Best orthopedic bed
- Medical grade orthopedic foam
- Provides comfort and support
The FurHaven Quilted Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover is 1 of the best calming dog beds, providing luxury comfort and orthopedic support for your dog. Medical grade orthopedic foam combined with a quilted sleeping surface supports your dog’s joints and distributes their weight evenly, helping them to feel relaxed and comfortable. I found the 3 bolstered sides created that cozy enclosed feeling for my dogs, as well as providing neck and head support.
The bed is made from high-quality materials, designed to be durable and easy to clean. I found my dogs loved this bed and felt it provided them with extra support. A range of sizes are available to suit all breeds and it even comes at a very affordable price.
- Most owners said that this bed was very comfortable and relaxing for their dog
- Especially useful for elderly dogs or those with health issues, with owners saying it eased their dog’s joint pain and helped them to sleep restfully
- Affordable and high-quality, with many owners saying they felt the bed was great value especially when compared with other similar beds
- Bed is lightweight even in bigger sizes which owners found handy as it was easy to move around the home when needed
- Easy to keep clean with a removable cover which can be washed or quickly wiped down
- Some owners felt the bed wasn’t as high-quality as it should have been for the price
- Some found that the mattress was thinner than they expected, which they felt wasn’t supportive enough, particularly for large breed dogs
- Several owners found that the bed didn’t stand up to wear as well as they had hoped, finding the mattress sagged or the cover became torn after a period of use
- Not designed to stand up to chewing, with some owners finding their dog chewed through the bed when left unsupervised
Aspen Pet Self-Warming Bolster Cat & Dog Bed, Warm Spice/Cream review
- Best self-warming bed
- Insulating layer creates warmth
- Cozy and soft for relaxation
The Aspen Pet Self-Warming Bolster Cat & Dog Bed is 1 of the best dog beds for anxiety, with raised sides to create a snuggly, enclosed feeling to make your dog feel safe. The interior is made from faux lamb’s wool, so it’s super soft and comfortable for your pup. The exterior of the bed is high-quality corduroy and polyester, designed to be durable and wear well.
An insulating layer captures your dog’s heat, making the bed self-warming. This feature is particularly comforting for anxious dogs, helping them to relax and sleep more peacefully. My smaller breed dogs particularly enjoyed this feature, and it helped them to feel cozy and safe.
The bed comes in a range of sizes to suit toy to large breeds. Best of all for owners, the bed comes at a very affordable price.
- Many said this bed helps to keep their dog cozy and calm, aiding them in sleeping more peacefully
- Durable and designed to last, with many owners saying the bed wore well even when their dog did some digging in the bed to ‘make their nest’
- Owners enjoyed the self-warming feature, saying they found it highly effective, and it added to their dog’s comfort
- Older pets, those with joint issues, and rescue dogs who were nervous found this bed soothing
- Many said they felt this bed was great value and they were very happy with their purchase
- Some owners found this bed wasn’t as durable as they hoped, stating it became worn after a few months of regular use
- Several owners found that the bed didn’t wash and dry well
- Not designed for rough play, chewing, or digging, with some owners finding their pet was able to destroy the bed easily when left unsupervised
- Some owners found that with regular use the sides of the bed became flattened, making the bed less ‘nest-like’
Frisco Cave Covered Cat & Dog Bed review
- Best cave bed
- Creates an enclosed, safe space
- Soft, high-quality materials
If you need the best dog bed for dogs with anxiety, the Frisco Cave Covered Cat & Dog Bed is a wonderful choice, providing a soft cozy cave for your dog to snuggle up in. The cave-like shape provides your dog with a safe space they can retreat to when they feel anxious. High-quality, super soft fabric with fluffy filling is used for the interior of the bed to create that cozy feeling, while the exterior is made from durable faux suede.
My rescue chihuahua loves this bed and will choose it over others in the home (especially when I add in a blanket). This bed is suitable for toy and extra small breeds and comes at an amazingly low price.
- Many owners felt that this cave was cozy and snuggly for their pet, aiding them with peaceful sleep
- Owners felt this bed kept their dog warmer on chilly nights since their dog was enclosed within the cave-like structure
- Some stated that the bed was durable and sturdy, yet lightweight enough to move around easily or travel with
- Several owners stated that the inner cushion was very soft and supportive for their dog
- Some found that the bed was easy to clean, with the cushion being safe to wash and the outer cave being suitable for wiping down
- Owners with rescue pets or those who are particularly anxious found this bed made their pet feel more secure and relaxed
- Some owners found that the entrance of the cave bed was too small for their pet to get inside
- Inner cushion was thinner and less supportive than some owners expected
- Some owners found that their pets didn’t like the cave and preferred to sleep elsewhere
- Not designed to stand up to rough digging or chewing, with some owners finding their dog could rip up the bed when left unsupervised
- Some found that the cave roof was prone to collapse, especially during playtime
Frisco Tent Covered Cat & Dog Bed, Sandy Beige review
- Best tent bed
- Creates an enclosed, safe space
- Soft yet durable
If your dog loves that enclosed feeling, the Frisco Tent Covered Cat & Dog Bed is a wonderful choice, providing a cozy, enclosed space for your dog. A removable, cushioned pillow creates a comfortable surface for your dog to snuggle up on, while the plush, polyester tent fabric is designed to be both soft and durable. The material is high-quality and can be popped in the washing machine for easy cleaning.
I found that my small dogs both loved this tent and would retreat there when they wanted their own space from other dogs and people in the home. The tent is suitable for toy and small dogs and comes at a great low price.
- Many owners felt this tent was very cozy and calming, especially for rescue dogs or those who were particularly anxious
- Several said this bed was high-quality and well-made, stating that the material was very soft
- Owners said that their pets loved this bed and would choose it over other places to sleep in the home
- The strap on top of the tent combined with it being lightweight makes it very easy to move around the home and travel with
- Inner cushion is very fluffy, thick, and soft, with owners saying they felt it was comfortable and supportive for their dog
- Many found that the tent and inner cushion was easy to clean and generally durable
- Some owners found that the tent was too small for their pet, and felt the sizing on the product description was misleading
- Some found that the inner cushion became misshapen or broken after being in the washing machine
- Some owners found the color of the tent misleading, finding it darker in person than in the pictures which they were frustrated about
- Some found that the tent was more flimsy than they hoped, leading them to feel it wouldn’t be very durable
FurHaven Faux Sheepskin Snuggery Orthopedic Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover review
- Best snuggle bed
- Attached layer to snuggle under
- Orthopedic mattress with ultra-soft cover
If your dog loves to snuggle up under a blanket, the FurHaven Faux Sheepskin Snuggery Orthopedic Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover could be the perfect choice for you. A high-quality, orthopedic mattress provides support, while a faux-sheepskin cover provides the ultimate comfort. This bed has an attached layer which your dog can snuggle underneath like a blanket, or you can use the plastic attachment to create a calming cave-like space.
The bed is suitable for small to large breeds and is a reasonable mid-range price. I found that my chihuahua who loves to burrow underneath blankets really enjoyed this combined blanket and bed, finding it calming and comfortable.
- Very comfortable and relaxing, even for dogs with anxiety, additional health issues, or elderly dogs
- Owners liked the multiple ways to use this bed: their dogs could lie on top of the bed, snuggle underneath the blanket section, or they could use the additional plastic hoop to create a ‘cave’
- High-quality, with many owners saying it was well made, and that the mattress was very thick and supportive
- Range of sizes means even bigger dogs can find a bed big enough to snuggle up into and stretch out fully
- Some owners felt the bed helped to keep their dog warm during cold weather
- Several owners felt that this bed was affordable and good value for money
- Bed isn’t designed to stand up to chewing, rough digging, or rough play, with some owners finding their dog was able to break the bed when left unsupervised
- Some felt the bed wasn’t as high-quality or durable as they expected
- Size description can be misleading, with some owners ending up with the wrong sized bed for their dog
- Some owners found that they had better experiences with other similar beds, and so felt that this bed wasn’t good value for money
- Plastic hoop attachment can be flimsy and fall over easily, with some owners saying it was also hard to set up
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 1 December, 2022
Things to Look for in a Calming Dog Bed
We’ll go over some of the most important features to keep in mind when looking for a calming dog bed:
Correct Size for Your Dog
Getting a bed that is the right size for your pup ensures they’re able to stretch out fully and feel comfortable. However, for an anxious dog it’s crucial the bed isn’t too big. It should be just the right size so they can snuggle up and have that calming feeling of being slightly enclosed.
A bed made from high-quality materials is likely to be more durable, to last longer, and ensure your dog gets the best quality overall.
The shape of the bed will affect how calming it is. Flat, open-sided beds don’t give much of a sense of protection. Beds that are great for calming will have raised sides with a lower middle to help your dog feel enclosed, such as bolster beds and donut beds.
Some calming beds will have a cave or den-like shape so that your pup has their own little enclosed, safe space.
Material Type and Texture
Materials that are soft and fluffy tend to be most effective for calming, as they help your dog to feel comfortable and relaxed. You should also look for supportive, comfortable bases. Some beds will come with fluffy cushioning for your pup to sink into, while others will feature orthopedic mattresses.
Orthopedic mattresses provide extra support for your dog’s joints, which is great for older dogs or those with joint issues. They shape around your dog’s body to help them feel more secure, often aiding in relaxation. Some beds will have an insulating layer which makes the bed self-warming: this feature can really aid with calming.
Ease of Cleaning
Dogs are prone to making messes and of course, most dogs shed leaving their hair all over their bed. Anxious dogs can be more likely to have accidents. Therefore, choosing a bed that is easy to clean makes your life easier and keeps things more hygienic.
Common Signs Of Anxiety in a Dog
Just like anxiety in humans, there are a wide range of causes and types of anxiety for dogs. This means that the symptoms will differ depending on the dog’s individual circumstances. However, there are some common symptoms an anxious dog might display which are included below:
- Panting excessively
- Pacing around or appearing restless
- Vocalizing: barking, howling, and whining
- Shaking or trembling
- Having their ears back and their tail tucked in
- Destructive behavior: chewing, digging, and destroying items in the home
- Going to the toilet in the home
- Trying to hide under things or sitting/lying curled up in a corner
- Lack of appetite
- Trying to escape their environment
- Excessively licking themselves, their owners, or items in the environment
It’s important to note that these can be symptoms of other health or behavioral issues. If you are unsure or your dog is suddenly displaying a number of these behaviors, it’s always best to get them checked by a vet.
How a Calming Dog Bed Can Help With Your Dog’s Anxiety
Calming beds can help your dog to feel safer and more relaxed. Your dog’s ancestors would naturally seek out a den to rest in, so beds that create an enclosed den-like or nest-like feeling can be very settling for a dog. Soft materials can also help them to feel more comfortable and soothe their anxiety.
Self-warming beds can help to calm your dog’s nervous system and make them feel at ease. Orthopedic mattresses shape around your dog to relieve joint pressure, as well as making them feel more secure, so they’re likely to have a more restful sleep.
Essentially, a calming dog bed creates a space in the home that your dog feels is safe and comforting. They can retreat to this safe space when they feel anxious, allowing them to self-soothe. As an added bonus, when your dog is sleeping more restfully their brain and body have time to rest from their anxiety, so they’ll wake up feeling refreshed and less stressed!
Other Ways to Calm An Anxious Dog
While a calming bed can be a fantastic way to help your dog feel more at ease, it isn’t a magic solution to your dog’s anxiety. Fundamentally, you need to get to the root of the problem to figure out what’s causing your dog’s anxiety and work on training to overcome the issue. If you are unsure how to do this, contacting a vet, a professional dog behaviorist or a dog trainer will be best.
Aside from calming beds, there are lots of other ways you can help your dog to deal with their anxiety:
Exercise: Exercise helps to release your dog’s excess energy in a healthy way, making them feel more settled and helping them to sleep better. Like humans, when a dog exercises, ‘feel-good’ hormones are released which makes them feel calmer and happier.
Creating a safe space: A calming bed is a big part of creating a safe space. Some dogs also benefit from crate-training or having a pen, so that they have an area of the home that is theirs. They can retreat to this safe space when they need some quiet time. A calming bed can also be very useful if you’re using a heavier duty dog crate, and want to keep your dog calm and happy.
Calming music: Some dogs benefit from calming music, particularly when their owners aren’t home.
Mental stimulation and distraction: Providing your dog with long-lasting treats, chews, toys, and puzzle games helps to keep their mind engaged in a healthy way. This can distract them from their anxiety and focus their attention on something more positive.
Physical contact: Most dogs love cuddling with their owners, but did you know the physical contact is also really calming for them? Some dogs even benefit from a doggy massage to promote relaxation.
Calming supplements: Some owners find all-natural, calming supplements are beneficial for their dogs.
Calming blankets: Calming blankets tend to be slightly weighted to provide pressure, making your dog feel like they’re getting a cuddle and helping them to feel calmer. Some blankets may be heated to promote that sense of calm.
Calming jacket: Calming jackets are fitted tightly to your dog’s body and work in a similar way to swaddling a baby. The gentle pressure calms their nervous system and often helps dogs to feel more at ease.
Calming Dog Bed FAQ
Do calming dog beds really work?
Yes, the right bed can really help to soothe your anxious dog and improve their sleep quality.
Anxiety in dogs is common but the right training paired with a snuggly, calming bed can help your precious pup to feel more at ease again. Before you know it, they’ll be fast asleep and dreaming of chasing squirrels!
What is the Best Calming Dog Bed?
- Top Pick: Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed
- Second best: FurHaven Quilted Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover
- Third best: Aspen Pet Self-Warming Bolster Cat & Dog Bed, Warm Spice/Cream
- Recommended: Frisco Cave Covered Cat & Dog Bed
- Recommended: Frisco Tent Covered Cat & Dog Bed, Sandy Beige
- Recommended: FurHaven Faux Sheepskin Snuggery Orthopedic Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover