German Shepherds are strong, intelligent dogs bred to work, so it’s crucial to keep them engaged mentally and physically. A big part of this is playtime, and the right chew toy can help to keep them entertained and happy. It’s important that the chew toy you choose can stand up to their large, powerful mouth. We’ll look at 5 of the best chew toys for German Shepherds, comparing strength, entertainment value, and durability.
The Best Chew Toys for German Shepherds
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Chew Toys for German Shepherds
KONG Extreme Dog Toy review
- Best overall
- Highly durable
- Can be filled with treats
The KONG Extreme Dog Toy is an excellent choice, designed to stand up to the toughest of chewers. It’s made from ultra-durable, all-natural rubber to ensure it’s highly durable. It can be used as a chew toy or can be filled with treats and used as a treat dispenser.
The unique shape means the KONG has an erratic bounce, so you can even use it to play games of fetch! The KONG is well known among dog owners, trainers, and vets, with good reason. We love the KONG toys, they’re well used in our household: they keep our dogs entertained for long periods and have lasted for well over a year.
- Most owners found that this toy was highly durable, standing up to tough chewers even with dogs who had previously destroyed other toys
- Owners loved that they could fill this toy with treats, feeling it made playtime more engaging for their dog
- Many found that this toy kept their dog occupied for long periods of time, mentioning this was useful when their dog was in their crate or when their owner was otherwise occupied
- Owners liked that they could freeze the KONG with treats inside to make playtime last even longer
- Many owners found that this toy helped with behaviour issues, such as destructive chewing and separation anxiety
- Most owners said that their dog loved this toy, and they would repurchase when needed
- Some owners found that their dog could chew through this toy and felt it wasn’t durable enough
- Some found that their dog didn’t like this toy and wouldn’t play with it
- Some found that the toy had a strong rubber or ‘chemical’ smell at first which was off putting
- Some found the sizing confusing and couldn’t get the right sized toy for their dog
- Some felt this toy wasn’t good quality and were unhappy with their purchase
KONG Tires Dog Toy review
- Best for playtime
- Highly durable
- Fun bounce
It’s worth considering the KONG Tires Dog Toy when you’re looking for the best chew toy for a German Shepherd. Made from the well-known, highly durable KONG rubber, it’s designed to last and stand up to tough chewing. The tire shape makes it perfect for a chewing session or for games of fetch.
You can even fill the inner tire with treats to make playtime more stimulating for your pup. I loved this toy and so did my spaniel! I found it has a great bounce and is very engaging for both interactive and solo playtime.
- Most owners found that this toy lasted a long time and stood up to tough chewers, even those who usually chew through their toys
- Owners liked that this toy rolled and bounced, making playtime fun for their dog
- Many liked that you could put treats inside this toy, which they felt made playtime more exciting for their dog
- Most owners said their dog loved this toy, with some saying it was their dog’s favourite and they would carry it around everywhere
- Owners found this toy kept their dog engaged for long periods, both with solo and interactive play
- Many said this was both theirs and their dog’s favourite toy and they would highly recommend it
- Some found that their dog could chew through this toy after a few days or weeks
- Some owners got the wrong size toy for their dog, stating it was hard to choose the right size, in particular mentioning the toy was smaller than they expected
- Some stated that their dog didn’t like this toy and didn’t find it engaging
- Can be a strong rubber smell at first due to the rubber construction, which some owners didn’t like
Nylabone DuraChew Power Chew Bacon Flavored Dog Chew Toy review
- Best for flavor
- Bacon flavor
- Tough and durable
The Nylabone DuraChew Power Chew Bacon Flavored Dog Chew Toy is a great option, with a bacon flavor to keep your dog coming back for more. The tough nylon material is designed to stand up to wear and is perfect for tough chewers. It even has ridges and raised nubs to help clean your dog’s teeth as they chew.
My dogs loved this toy and it kept them busy for long periods (I think the flavor played a big part in this). The shape was easy for them to hold, and it was very durable, lasting well over time. I felt the toy was high-quality and liked that it was good for my dog’s dental hygiene.
- Owners typically found this chew toy was long lasting even with regular, heavy chewing
- Most owners found that their dog loved this chew, with some saying it was their dog’s favourite toy
- Owners liked that this toy helped with dental hygiene, with some even finding it helped with teething puppies
- Owners felt that the bacon flavor kept their dog coming back for more, with some also mentioning they liked that it didn’t have a strong smell
- Many owners found that this toy kept their dog busy for long periods of time
- Some found that this toy helped to redirect destructive chewing
- Can become sharp after a long period of chewing, which some owners worried was a safety hazard
- Some found that their dog didn’t like this chew and wouldn’t play with it
- Some felt that this chew was too hard for their dog and worried it would hurt their teeth
- Some found that pieces of the toy would break off during chewing which they had to regularly clean up
- Some felt this toy didn’t have enough smell or flavor to attract their dog
Benebone Bacon Flavor Dental Tough Dog Chew Toy review
- Best for dental benefits
- Grooves clean teeth during chewing
- Easy to hold shape
The Benebone Bacon Flavor Dental Tough Dog Chew Toy is an absolute favorite in our house, and I would highly recommend it. Flavored with 100% real bacon, it keeps dogs coming back for more. The unique shape allows your pup to hold the toy easily, ensuring they can get a good grip while they’re chewing.
The nylon construction makes this toy very durable for tough chewers, and I’ve found that ours has lasted for months so far. I love that the shape, grooves, and ridges on this toy clean my dog’s teeth as she chews. As an added bonus, a portion of all Benebone sales is donated to animal support organizations.
- Most owners found their dogs loved this chew, including owners of German Shepherds
- Most owners found this toy lasted for a long period of time, standing up to tough chewers, especially when owners regularly trimmed, sanded, or shaved rough edges
- Owners loved that this chew helped to clean their dog’s teeth, with some owners even saying they had noticed a positive difference in their dog’s teeth since using the toy
- Many said that the unique shape made it easier for their dog to hold the toy, as well as making playtime more interesting
- Many said this was their dog’s favourite toy and they would repurchase when needed
- Owners found that this toy kept their pup mentally engaged, helping to redirect destructive behavior
- Some owners found that their dog wasn’t interested in this toy and wouldn’t play with it
- Some found that after a period of chewing, small pieces of the toy would break off or sharp edges were left, so they had to take the toy away from their dog
- Some owners found the shape of the toy could get stuck on their dog’s mouth and recommended supervised play
- Some felt that this toy was too hard and heavy for their dog, worrying it was too harsh for their teeth
GoughNuts Ring Dog Toy review
- Best for safety
- Red warning layer
- Highly durable
When it comes to durability, the GoughNuts Ring Dog Toy is excellent quality, made with natural rubber and designed to stand up to tough chewers. This ring bounces, rolls, and floats so it can be used for exciting games of fetch in any environment as well as for chewing. The GoughNuts toy has 2 layers: an outer layer in a choice of 3 colors, and an inner red layer to warn you that it’s time to end playtime.
I loved that this warning system let me know when it was time to take the toy away, feeling it increased safety during playtime. I found the toy was durable and lasted a long time. My dogs loved playing with it, and I liked that it could even float so we could use it in water.
- Many owners and dogs loved this toy, finding they preferred it to other brands of chew toy
- Owners liked that the toy could be thrown and could bounce and float, feeling it made for a very fun playtime for their dog
- Most owners found that this toy was very durable, lasting a long time even with tough chewers
- Owners liked the red warning layer, feeling it made playtime safer and gave a clear indication of when they should throw the toy out
- Many owners found this toy kept their dog occupied for long periods of time
- Can have a strong rubber smell at first, which some owners didn’t like
- Several owners found that their dog had no interest in this toy and wouldn’t play with it
- Some found that their dog could chew through the inner core of the toy quickly
- Some owners found that the toy was too big and heavy for their dog
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 2 December, 2022
Things to Look for in a Chew Toy for a German Shepherd
It’s a good idea to look for the following when you’re on the hunt for the best chew toy for German Shepherds:
Correct Size for Your Dog
Getting the right is key with any toy, but especially when it comes to a chew toy. A toy that’s too small could be a choking hazard and may not last as long with heavy chewing. A toy that’s too big might be too difficult for your dog to fit comfortably in their mouth.
Check the size guide and reviews for guidance. It’s sometimes helpful to compare the sizing against your dog’s existing toys.
A toy made from high-quality materials ensures your dog is getting the best and is likely to last longer. When it comes to a chew toy, high-quality materials ensure your dog’s safety, as you don’t want them to be putting anything in their mouth that isn’t safe.
As we mentioned, the quality of materials will have an impact on durability. You can look for materials that are particularly durable, such as strong rubber and nylon.
Physical and Mental Stimulation
You want your dog to be both physically and mentally stimulated so look for toys that are really going to engage them. Often chew toys will have different flavors, shapes, and other features (such as being able to add treats or play fetch with the toy) that make them really interesting for your dog.
Strong Chew Strength
German Shepherds are large, powerful dogs with strong jaws, so they will need a toy with a strong chew strength. Look for indications in the description that the toy stands up to tough or extreme chewers. You can always check the reviews for indications of this too.
A lot of chew toys will offer additional benefits, such as being able to clean your dog’s teeth and stimulate their gums as they chew. This is always worth keeping an eye out for.
Benefits of a Chew Toy for Your German Shepherd
There are so many benefits to giving your dog a chew toy including:
- Allowing them to fulfill their natural instincts
Dogs are drawn to chewing by nature, it’s in their genes. Giving them a chew toy provides a safe, fun way for them to fulfill these instincts.
- Redirecting destructive behavior
As mentioned, chewing is a natural behavior and if you don’t provide your dog with that outlet, they might start chewing on things around the home. This is both annoying for you and unsafe for them. Giving your dog a chew toy can help to redirect destructive chewing.
- Keeping them occupied
Providing them with a chew toy gives them something to keep them occupied while you’re busy, for example if you’re cleaning the house or trying to get some work done
- Dental health
Many chew toys are good for your dog’s dental health, helping to clean their teeth and stimulate their gums as they chew. They can even soothe sore gums during teething if you have a puppy.
- Mental and physical stimulation
Playtime is crucial to keep your dog healthy and happy, especially with an intelligent, high-energy breed like the German Shepherd. Providing a toy keeps them mentally stimulated and gives them an outlet for some of their energy.
When dogs are anxious, they often turn to chewing or licking to try to soothe themselves. A chew toy allows them to self-soothe safely whenever they need to.
- It’s fun!
Chew toys are fun for your dog: they taste good, they have fun shapes, and they give them something to do.
Chew Toy Safety Advice
Never let your dog chew rawhide or bones, as these can pose choking and blockage hazards. Always ensure you choose the right size and strength of chew toy for your dog’s safety. Supervision is advised, especially if it’s a new toy your dog is trying for the first time.
German Shepherd Chew Toy FAQ
How do you stop your German Shepherd from getting bored?
German Shepherds are active, intelligent breeds so you need to provide plenty of mental and physical stimulation to stop them getting bored. Ensure they’re getting plenty of exercise. Try a variety of toy types, for example chew toys, puzzle toys, and treat dispensers, as well as interactive play with you.
A chew toy can keep your German Shepherd entertained and happy. It can also protect your furniture from destructive chewing and help to tackle boredom.
What is the Best Chew Toy for German Shepherd?
- Top Pick: KONG Extreme Dog Toy
- Second best: KONG Tires Dog Toy
- Third best: Nylabone DuraChew Power Chew Bacon Flavored Dog Chew Toy
- Recommended: Benebone Bacon Flavor Dental Tough Dog Chew Toy
- Recommended: GoughNuts Ring Dog Toy