Crate training can be a positive experience for both you and your dog. However, for some owners, a solid, heavy crate isn’t suitable for their lifestyle. Collapsible dog crates allow you to have the extra flexibility and portability you need, while still getting all the advantages of crate training your pup.
The Best Collapsible Dog Crates
More Detailed Collapsible Dog Crate Reviews
Frisco Fold & Carry Double Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate review
- Best collapsible wire crate
- Sturdy construction
- Folds down easily
The Frisco Fold & Carry Double Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate is 1 of the best collapsible dog crates, made from coated steel wire to provide a good amount of strength and security. While this crate isn’t particularly lightweight, it folds down easily and has carry handles to make transportation a breeze. The crate is also quick to reassemble, which I’ve always found to be an important feature when traveling with dogs.
This crate comes in a range of sizes to suit all breeds and is a fantastic low price.
- Many owners felt that the crate was made with good quality materials
- Most owners found this crate sturdy and secure for their dog
- Easy to fold down and put back up, making it easy to transport
- Fairly lightweight considering the security the crate provides
- Most owners felt this crate was great value for money
- 2 doors provide easy accessibility and easier placement in the home or during travel
- Some owners found this crate was not strong enough for their dog, and they kept escaping
- Not suitable for dogs who are escape artists or aren’t crate trained
- Some found that over time the latches become misshapen, making it hard to lock the crate
- The divider panel can be fiddly to install, which some owners found frustrating
Frisco Heavy Duty Fold & Carry Single Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate review
- Best heavy-duty collapsible crate
- Strong, sturdy wire construction
- Folds flat with carrying handles
If you need a heavy-duty option but still want that portability, the Frisco Heavy Duty Fold & Carry Single Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate is a great choice. Constructed from thicker and heavier wiring than other Frisco crates, it provides extra security and strength. Although, this does mean it’s heavier to carry.
The crate folds flat and has carrying handles to make transportation easier, which in my experience makes a big difference when moving a wire crate. It reassembles easily with no tools required. With a range of sizes available this crate is suitable for all breeds and comes at a very reasonable price.
- Provides enough room for dogs to move around and lie down comfortably
- Good quality crate made with sturdy materials
- Many owners felt the crate was great value for money considering all of its features
- Some owners found that their escape artist pups were safely confined in this crate, and couldn’t get out even when they tried
- Most owners felt the crate was easy to assemble
- Some owners found putting the crate together more difficult than expected
- Some found it wasn’t heavy-duty enough for their dog and they were able to escape or damage the crate
- After a few months, some owners found the crate was broken or didn’t wear as well as they had hoped
- Not suitable for power chewers
Frisco Indoor & Outdoor 3-Door Collapsible Soft-Sided Dog Crate review
- Best soft-sided collapsible crate
- Sturdy frame and lightweight material
- Easily folds and reassembles
The Frisco Indoor & Outdoor 3-Door Collapsible Soft-Sided Dog Crate is an excellent option if you need something very lightweight. This soft-sided crate easily and quickly folds down and back up, as well as featuring carrying handles both when folded down and when assembled. With a sturdy steel frame, water-resistant material, and locking clips on mesh doors, the crate will stand up to wear and is great for non-destructive dogs.
I found the easy portability makes this crate great for traveling with your dog. A range of sizes are available to suit all breeds and it comes at an affordable price. I feel this crate is excellent value for money.
- Great for car travel due to its portability and comfort
- Perfect for use as a bedroom for your dog when you take them on holiday
- Creates a cozy, dark cave that is calming for both adult dogs and puppies
- Mesh provides ventilation which also keeps bugs away when using the crate outdoors
- Most owners found it was very easy to assemble
- Some stated that the crate was not secure enough for escape artists
- Some owners found the zippers weren’t as strong as they expected and were easily broken
- Not suitable for dogs who are prone to chewing or digging
- Some felt that the material of the crate was not as high-quality as they had expected
Go Pet Club Double Door Collapsible Soft-Sided Dog Crate review
- Best collapsible carrier crate
- Lightweight and foldable
- Doubles as both a crate and carrier
The Go Pet Club Double Door Collapsible Soft-Sided Dog Crate is a wonderful option for small and toy breeds, providing a small cozy crate and carrier in 1. I found that carrying my dog was a breeze while they’re in the crate with the 2 sturdy carry handles. It can also fold down quickly and easily for portability.
It’s extremely lightweight, yet does provide some strength with a sturdy steel frame. This crate comes at a very low price, which given all its features I feel is a bargain.
- Good for car travel, keeping your dog comfortable and safe
- Lightweight and easy to assemble, making this crate great for travel
- The carrier aspect of the crate makes it handy for vet visits, particularly for dogs who are usually anxious
- Most owners found that this crate was excellent for their small dogs or puppies
- Additional pockets are handy for treats, poop bags, and other belongings during travel
- Not strong enough for dogs who try to escape
- Some found the crate tore if their dog moved around a lot or tried to play while inside the crate
- Not suitable for dogs who are prone to chewing
- Some owners found that the mesh wasn’t strong enough and was easily broken by their dog
- Several owners felt this crate was harder to assemble than other models they have tried
Etna Pop-Open Single Door Collapsible Soft-Sided Dog Crate, Black & White, 33 inch review
- Best pop-up crate
- Very lightweight
- Folds down and pops up easily
The Etna Pop-Open Single Door Collapsible Soft-Sided Dog Crate is an extremely lightweight option, made from mesh panels and polyester. This crate doesn’t provide much strength or security, but in my experience, it’s great for smaller, non-destructive dogs to lounge in. It folds down and pops back up to make assembly as easy as possible.
This crate is a great bargain option, coming in at a very low price.
- Very lightweight, making it easy to carry even for those with mobility issues
- Handy for travel in the car, providing a cozy space for your dog
- Great for easy assembly when you’re away from home with your dog
- Mesh allows dogs to see out from all angles and provides great ventilation
- Owners enjoyed the cute, pawprint design
- Not suitable for bigger or destructive dogs, as they can get out of the crate easily or chew it up
- Not as strong or durable as other crates
- Can be easily tipped over by a playful dog or puppy
- Material is thin and not sturdy like with some other crates
- Care required during ‘pop-up’ as it pops up quickly
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 29 November, 2022
Things to Look for in a Collapsible Dog Crate
When you’re on the search for the best collapsible dog crate for your pup, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
Correct Size for Your Dog
You need a crate that is the right size for your dog. They should always be able to stand up, stretch out, and turn around comfortably, but the crate shouldn’t be big enough that they can walk around freely. This ensures that your dog is safe and comfortable.
Ease of Collapsing and Assembling
Of course, you need a crate that collapses and reassembles easily. A lot of crates will fold down flat and then unfold quite easily. Check the description, pictures, and videos to see how easy the process is.
Choosing a crate made from high-quality materials means it’s more likely to last longer, as well as be safer and more comfortable for your pup.
Right Type of Crate for Your Dog
Collapsible crates come in a range of materials and types, so you need to consider how your dog usually behaves and what you want to use the crate for. For example, if your dog is often destructive, a wire crate will be safer, while if your dog is usually calm and non-destructive, a soft-sided crate may be more suitable.
If you’re planning to use the crate in your car, a wire crate can provide extra safety for your dog. If you’re planning to fly with your dog in the cabin area, a soft-sided crate that doubles as a carrier is the best option. Take your time to decide what is most suitable for you and your dog.
Airflow is pivotal in keeping your dog safe and comfortable. Wire crates have plenty of ventilation. If you’re choosing a soft-sided or plastic crate look for mesh or wire windows, or ventilation holes.
Comfort for Your Dog
You can make most crates comfortable for your dog by adding in blankets, a bed, and other comfort items. However, choosing a crate that is the right size with good ventilation is also key for comfort.
Number of Doors
The number of doors a crate has will vary from 1 to 4. Think about how you want to access your dog and where you want to use the crate. Sometimes more doors can be helpful when using the crate in multiple settings.
Ideally, a collapsible crate should be easily portable. Look for carry handles and don’t forget to consider the weight of the crate.
Ease of Cleaning
Having a crate that’s easy to clean is always handy, especially if your dog is a puppy, older, or is prone to nervous accidents when traveling or in new surroundings. Wire crates often have removable plastic bottoms for easy cleaning. Soft-sided crates may have water-resistant material which wipes down, or a removable lining you can put in the washing machine.
The Benefits of a Collapsible Dog Crate
Collapsible dog crates have so many advantages. They take up less space, which is great for storage if you’re not using the crate all the time. They’re easily portable, making them convenient for travel or for being used in different environments, for example in the garden or when your dog is visiting your relatives.
Even if your dog uses the crate every day, having the option of the crate collapsing is handy if you ever move, or even if you want to move the crate to another position in the home. Best of all, there are so many types of collapsible dog crates that you’re bound to find something that suits you and your dog.
Crate Safety Advice
Always ensure you choose a crate of the right size and strength for your dog. It’s crucial to crate train your dog before they use a crate for the first time.
Are collapsing crates good?
Yes, collapsing crates have a lot of advantages, making them handy for a lot of owners.
How do you fold down a collapsing crate?
How a crate folds will depend on the type of crate. Instructions should be included and they’re typically very easy to fold down and reassemble.
Crate training can be beneficial for both dog and owner. Collapsible crates have so many advantages, making them a great option, especially for dogs who like to go on adventures with their owners.
What is the Best Collapsible Dog Crate?
- Top Pick: Frisco Fold & Carry Double Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate
- Second best: Frisco Heavy Duty Fold & Carry Single Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate
- Third best: Frisco Indoor & Outdoor 3-Door Collapsible Soft-Sided Dog Crate
- Recommended: Go Pet Club Double Door Collapsible Soft-Sided Dog Crate
- Recommended: Etna Pop-Open Single Door Collapsible Soft-Sided Dog Crate, Black & White, 33 inch