Often known as “sausage dogs” or “wiener dogs”, the Dachshund is an unmistakable breed. They’re full of character, energy, and curiosity, making them great pets. Due to their unique shape, choosing the right bed for your Dachshund can sometimes be a challenge. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with 6 of the best beds for Dachshunds. We’ll compare bed type, material quality, and comfort for your dog.
The Best Dog Beds for Dachshunds
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Dog Beds for Dachshunds
Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed review
- Best donut bed
- Soft and comfortable
The Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed should be at the top of your list when you’re looking for the best bed for a Dachshund. The round donut design ensures your pup feels safe in their own little ‘nest’. The bolstered sides provide support while still being low enough for your dog’s little legs, allowing them to access it easily.
I loved the faux-shag material, finding it was very soft for my dogs and felt luxurious. An insulation layer reflects your dog’s heat back at them, keeping them snuggly and warm. My little dogs loved this bed and I felt it was comfortable for them.
- Owners typically found that this bed was very comfortable for their dog, with some mentioning that it was their dog’s favorite sleeping spot in the home
- Warmth and nest-like feel creates a calming space, which is particularly useful for anxious dogs, older dogs, and dogs with health issues
- Many owners found that their dog slept better in this bed than in others they’d tried
- Owners generally felt the bed was high-quality and fairly durable
- Several owners stated that the bed was easy to wash and dry
- Some owners found the bed didn’t wash well, breaking or showing wear after washing
- Some felt the bed wasn’t supportive enough for their dog, in particular mentioning the bottom wasn’t padded enough
- Can be slippery on wooden floors, making the bed slide around when dogs are trying to enter it
- Some felt the bed wasn’t very durable, experiencing signs of wear quite quickly
FurHaven Quilted Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover review
- Best orthopedic bed
- Medical grade orthopedic base
- Quilted outer layer
The FurHaven Quilted Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover is an excellent option, offering plenty of support for your Dachshund with a medical-grade orthopedic foam base. This bed supports your dog’s joints and relieves pressure, providing the utmost in comfort and luxury. The quilted outer layer is soft and comfy, while bolstered sides provide extra support and a safe, enclosed feeling.
I loved that there was 1 lower side on this bed, making it easy to access for dogs with little legs or those with mobility issues. I felt it was highly supportive and comfortable for my dogs. This bed is available in 4 sizes to ensure you can pick the right size, so your little pal has plenty of room to stretch out.
- Most owners found that this bed was very supportive and comfortable for their dog
- Owners of elderly dogs, those with joint issues, or other health issues felt this bed eased joint pain and provided support
- Removable cover makes this bed easy to clean which owners appreciated
- Many owners said this bed was great value, especially when compared with other similar beds
- Lightweight enough to move around the home easily, even in bigger sizes
- Some owners found the mattress wasn’t as supportive as they expected, especially those with large breed dogs
- Several owners found the bed didn’t wear well over time, experiencing sagging or tearing
- Not designed to stand up to chewing, with some owners finding their dog could chew through this bed
Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed review
- Best bolster bed
- Orthopedic support
- Comfy, bolstered sides
The Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed provides a perfect place for your pup to snuggle up, with bolstered edges and a luxury pillow to lie on. The base of the bed is made from convoluted foam, providing orthopedic support for your dog, while the removable pillow is filled with fluffy polyester fiber. The outside of the pillow has a soft cloud Sherpa surface, making it soft for your pup to lie on.
Available in a range of sizes, you can find the right size for your pup to stretch out. I found this bed was high-quality and comfortable for my dogs. I loved that it was so supportive and that the bolstered edges allow them to snuggle in or rest their head on them comfortably.
- Most owners found this bed was supportive and comfortable for their dog, even for older dogs or dogs with joint issues
- Bolster provides extra head and neck support, as well as creating a cozy feeling
- Many found the bed was more durable than other similar beds they’d tried
- Many said that this bed was easy to clean and stood up to wear well
- Some owners said this was their dog’s favorite bed and they’d choose it over other places to sleep
- Not designed to stand up to chewing or rough play, with some owners finding their dog could break this bed
- Zipper is in an easily accessible place, meaning dogs can use it as a weak point in the bed
- Some found the sizing misleading and got the wrong sized bed for their dog
- Some felt the bed wasn’t as high-quality as they expected
- Some found the bed was difficult to clean and mentioned dirt clings to the material
Frisco Cave Covered Cat & Dog Bed review
- Best cave bed
- Soft lining and fiber filling
- Cozy, ‘cave’ space
If your dog loves to burrow, as many Dachshunds do, the Frisco Cave Covered Cat & Dog Bed could be the best choice for you. This cozy cave has an ultra-soft fabric lining for your pup to lie on and be surrounded with. The fluffy polyester fiber filling ensures plenty of support and comfort.
This cave bed provides a cozy little place for your dog to snuggle up, best suited if your Dachshund likes to curl up to sleep rather than stretch out. I felt the materials were high-quality, including both the inner lining and padding, as well as the faux suede exterior. My small breeds loved having their own little cave to relax in.
- Owners found this cave bed created a safe, cozy space for their dog to help them relax and sleep better
- Many owners stated that the inside cushioning was very supportive and comfortable for their dog
- Owners felt this bed helped to keep their dog warm on cold nights
- Some stated that this bed was fairly durable yet lightweight enough to move around easily
- Some said this bed was calming for pets who were anxious
- Some owners found the entrance of the bed was too small for their dog to get inside comfortably
- Inner cushioning wasn’t as supportive as some owners expected
- Not designed to stand up to rough chewing or digging, with some owners finding their dog could rip the bed when left unsupervised
- Some found the roof of the cave was prone to collapse, especially during playtime
- Some said their pet didn’t like this bed and chose other places to sleep
Frisco Tent Covered Cat & Dog Bed review
- Best tent bed
- Removable, soft pillow
- Cozy, den-like space
Similar to the cave bed, but with more headroom, the Frisco Tent Covered Cat & Dog Bed provides a warm place for your dog to curl up. The soft fabric ensures the tent is cozy while the removable pillow is very soft and fairly supportive. This tent bed is ideal for dogs who want their own space to relax in.
I found this tent bed was very cute in my home and comfortable for my dogs. My small dogs loved being able to snuggle up in there and have their own space. Overall, I felt this was a high-quality bed and perfect for small or toy breeds.
- Most owners found this bed was cozy and calming for their dog, especially for anxious dogs
- Inner cushion is soft and fluffy with many owners saying it was supportive and comfortable for their dog
- Many said this was their dog’s favorite place to sleep and they’d choose it over other places to sleep in the home
- Several owners said this bed was very high- quality and well made
- Tent is lightweight and has a strap on top, making it easy to move around the home
- Some found the tent was too small for their pet and felt the sizing was confusing
- Some said the tent wasn’t as durable as they expected, and they felt it wouldn’t stand up to wear well
- Some said the cushion in the tent didn’t wash well and became misshapen
- Some said the color was darker than in the pictures
FurHaven Faux Sheepskin Snuggery Orthopedic Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover review
- Best snuggle bed
- Attached blanket top layer
- Orthopedic mattress
If your Dachshund loves to burrow under a blanket, the FurHaven Faux Sheepskin Snuggery Orthopedic Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover could be the perfect choice for you. An attached top layer provides a cozy blanket to snuggle under or the top layer can be propped up with the plastic hoop provided to create a more den-like space. The orthopedic foam base provides plenty of support and the bed is lined with faux sheepskin, providing the ultimate in luxury for your dog.
My dogs loved this bed, especially my Chihuahua who loves to burrow under blankets. They found it comfortable, warm, and I felt it was very supportive. With a choice of sizes, I liked that I could choose 1 that allowed them to fully stretch out.
- Owners liked the multiple ways their dog could use this bed: lying on top of it, burrowing under the blanket, or with the plastic hoop as a ‘cave’
- Most owners felt this bed was very comfortable for their dog, even for those with health issues or older dogs
- Many owners felt the mattress was high-quality and supportive for their dog
- Some felt the bed kept their dog warm in cold weather
- Range of sizes means even big dogs can have a cozy bed to snuggle up in
- Not designed to stand up to rough chewing, digging, or play, with some owners finding their dog could break this bed when left unsupervised
- Plastic hoop attachment can be hard to use and not very sturdy, meaning it can sometimes fall over during use
- Some felt the sizing was misleading and struggled to get the right size for their dog
- Some owners found the bed wasn’t as high-quality as expected
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 3 October, 2022
Things to Look for in a Bed for a Dachshund
When you’re looking for the best dog bed for Dachshunds, you should consider the following:
With so many types of bed on the market, it’s important you think about how your dog likes to sleep. Lots of Dachshunds like to burrow, so a cave bed or bed with high sides might be best. If your dog prefers to stretch out, a larger, more open bed will be better. Take your time to figure out what’s best for your pup.
A bed made from high-quality materials is likely to be safer and more comfortable for your dog. It’s also likely to wear better and last longer.
Correct Size for Your Dog
Since Dachshunds have such a unique shape, you should take your time to measure your dog and the bed you’re going to choose. If they prefer to curl up to sleep, a small bed may be suitable. If they typically like to stretch out, ensure you get a bed large enough for them to do so without being restricted.
Support for Your Dog
Of course, you want the bed you choose to be supportive for your pup, but this becomes even more important with Dachshunds. Due to their shape, they can be prone to joint issues, joint pain, and spine injury, so buying a supportive bed ensures their joints have the support they need, acting as a preventative measure. If your dog already has joint pain, a supportive bed is key for them to get a good night’s sleep.
Orthopedic beds tend to be the most supportive, with a lot of them providing cushioning around your dog’s joints to ease pressure. If the bed you choose isn’t orthopedic, ensure you look for a bed with plenty of padding or cushioning in the base.
Since Dachshunds have little legs and are low to the ground, it’s important their bed is low enough for them to access. Some beds will have 1 lower side to allow your dog to climb in easily.
A durable bed is more likely to last longer and be better value for money. Look for quality, robust materials as well as other factors such as reinforced stitching, water resistant bases, and whether the bed washes well or rips easily (check reviews for guidance on this).
Choosing a bed that’s easy to clean will make your life easier. A lot of beds will wipe down easily or will have removable covers so you can pop them in the washing machine.
Why a Good Bed is Important for Your Dachshund
Getting plenty of good quality sleep is just as important for your dog as it is for you. It helps their body and mind to perform properly and keeps them healthy.
Let’s take a look at the benefits of a good quality bed for your pup:
- Ensuring your dog is comfortable
- Better sleep quality
- Better physical health
- Improved cognitive function
- More energy
- Support for their joints
- A safe space that’s theirs
Dachshund Bed FAQs
Where should a Dachshund sleep?
Your Dachshund should sleep in a comfortable, supportive bed, ideally with a blanket or something to burrow under.
Should your Dachshund sleep in your bed?
Lots of people have opinions about whether your dog should sleep in your bed, but at the end of the day it’s a personal choice. You know your dog and yourself best and can make the best choice for you both.
Are orthopedic beds good for Dachshunds?
Yes, orthopedic beds are very good for Dachshunds, as they provide excellent support and ease pressure on their joints.
Why do Dachshunds like burrowing?
Dachshunds may like burrowing for many reasons: it’s their natural instinct, it keeps them warm, and it feels safe and cozy.
With the right bed, your Dachshunds joints can be supported, and they can be comfortable, ensuring they snooze peacefully.
What is the Best Dog Bed for Dachshund?
- Top Pick: Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed
- Second best: FurHaven Quilted Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover
- Third best: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Recommended: Frisco Cave Covered Cat & Dog Bed
- Recommended: Frisco Tent Covered Cat & Dog Bed
- Recommended: FurHaven Faux Sheepskin Snuggery Orthopedic Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover