Many people wonder if their large breed dog, like a German Shepherd, really needs a bed to sleep on: the answer is yes! A bed provides a comfortable, safe place for them to relax and gives their joints plenty of support, reducing the risk of health issues later in life. There are lots of benefits to buying your German Shepherd a high-quality bed. We’ll take a look at 5 beds, comparing bed type, comfort, support, and ease of cleaning.
The Best Dog Beds for German Shepherd
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Dog Beds for German Shepherd
Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed review
- Best elevated bed
- Sturdy steel frame
- Durable fabric
The Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed is 1 of the best beds for a German Shepherd, providing both durability and comfort. The sturdy steel frame and PVC-coated fabric sleeping area are designed to stand up to wear and tear, as well as being easy to clean. The fabric is breathable to ensure your dog has plenty of support and is comfortable.
It’s easy to assemble and can be used indoors or outdoors. I loved that this bed kept my dogs off the floor, keeping them out of the way of drafts in cold weather and keeping them cool in warm weather. I liked that the skid resistant feet prevented the bed from moving around too much when my dogs were trying to get on and off the bed.
- Most owners found this bed was highly durable, even standing up to wear from large breeds like the German Shepherd
- Owners typically felt this bed was very supportive and comfortable for their dog, especially when they added a blanket
- Many owners said this bed was easy and quick to assemble
- Bed can be used both indoors and outdoors, which many owners found useful
- Easy to wipe clean, making it very convenient for owners with active dogs
- Owners liked that this bed kept their dog off the floor, keeping them warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather
- Some owners found the bed broke after a short period of use, in particular stating the middle sagged or the seams ripped
- Some found this bed confusing to put together and were frustrated
- Some found their dog simply didn’t like this type of bed
- On wooden floors the bed can slide around, making it difficult for dogs to get on and off
Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed review
- Best donut bed
- Soft and supportive
If your dog loves to snuggle up, the Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed could be the best option for you. This bed is a donut shape, with a bolstered edge to create a nest-like feeling, making your dog feel safe and warm. An insulation layer radiates your dog’s body warmth back at them, keeping them warm on cold nights.
I loved the faux shag fur which was so soft, and I felt it was very comfortable for my dogs. Extra filling provides plenty of support and the bolstered edges provide a supportive headrest for your pup. I liked that the bed could be popped in the washing machine for easy cleaning.
- Many owners found this bed was calming for their dog, even for dogs with anxiety issues
- Most owners felt this bed was very comfortable for their dog, in particular mentioning how soft the material was and the donut style shape
- Many owners said that this was their dog’s favourite place to sleep over other beds and spots in the home
- Owners of large breed dogs like the German Shepherd liked that they could get a donut style bed big enough for their dog
- Owners generally found the bed was durable, even standing up to washing well
- Some owners felt there wasn’t enough filling, which meant the bed wasn’t thick or supportive enough for their dog
- Some found the bed didn’t wash well and became broken or misshapen
- Not designed to stand up to chewing, with some owners finding their dog could chew up this bed when left unsupervised
- Some found the size guide misleading and got the wrong sized bed for their dog
Big Barker 7" Headrest Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed with Removable Cover review
- Best luxury orthopedic bed
- High quality orthopedic foam
- Microfiber cover
If you’re looking for the best orthopedic bed for a German Shepherd, the Big Barker 7″ Headrest Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed with Removable Cover is an excellent choice. This bed is specifically designed for large and giant breeds to help prevent and soothe joint pain. The high-quality orthopedic foam provides plenty of support, while the microfiber cover provides luxury comfort.
The low sides make it easy for older dogs or those with mobility issues to access, while the headrest provides extra support. I loved that the cover was removable and could be put in the washing machine for easy cleaning. I felt that this bed was durable, very supportive, and generally very high quality.
- Owners loved that this bed was large enough for their large or giant breed dog to stretch out fully on
- Most owners felt that this bed was extremely comfortable for their dog, with some even saying they felt it improved their dog’s sleep quality
- Owners felt this bed gave their dog plenty of support, even for those with joint pain and other health issues
- Owners liked that the cover was removable and found that it was easy to wash and stood up to washing well
- Owners of dogs with mobility issues found their dog could easily get on and off this bed
- Many said this was their favourite dog bed they’d bought (and their dog’s favourite too)
- Most owners felt that this bed was very high quality, with many saying it was worth the investment
- Some found the bed was too tall for their dog with mobility issues to get on and off the bed
- Some found the cover was hard to put back on the bed after washing
- Some felt the cover wasn’t as high-quality as the rest of the bed
- Some owners found their dog simply didn’t like this bed
- Some felt this bed wasn’t as high-quality as they had expected for the price
FurHaven Ultra Plush Luxe Lounger Orthopedic Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover review
- Best affordable orthopedic bed
- Medical-grade orthopedic foam
- Ergonomic shape
If you want to provide your dog with the comfort and support of an orthopedic bed, but you’re on a budget, the FurHaven Ultra Plush Luxe Lounger Orthopedic Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover could be the 1 for you. Medical-grade orthopedic foam provides all the support your dog needs, while the ergonomically designed shape provides back and neck support. The cover is soft and plush to ensure your dog is comfortable.
I liked that the cover was removable and washing machine safe for easy cleaning. I appreciated the lower middle to allow older dogs or those with mobility issues to access the bed easily. I liked the range of sizes which allow you to get the right size for your pup.
- Owners liked the shape of this bed, feeling it provided plenty of comfort and support for their dog
- Most owners found that this bed was very durable, standing up to daily wear and washing well
- Owners generally felt the orthopedic foam was very supportive for their dog, even for those with joint and mobility issues
- Owners loved that they could get a size big enough for their large or giant breed to lie on comfortably
- Many liked that the cover was removable to make washing easy
- Most owners felt this bed was very high quality and were pleased with their purchase
- Some found that their dog didn’t like this bed and would choose other places to lie
- Some stated that the bed wasn’t as thick or supportive as they expected
- Some owners found the sizing misleading and ended up with the wrong sized bed for their dog
- Some experienced breakage or signs of wear after a short period of use
- Some owners found this bed wasn’t as high-quality as they expected, and therefore they didn’t feel it was worth the price
Frisco Pillow Cat & Dog Bed review
- Best pillow bed
- Plush, comfortable fabric
- Plenty of support
If you prefer a simple pillow bed, the Frisco Pillow Cat & Dog Bed is a great option, providing plenty of comfort and support. The ultra-plush fabric is cozy and soft, making a comfy sleeping surface for your pooch, while polyester fiber filling provides support for your pup. The low sides allow easy access for older dogs or those with mobility issues.
A range of sizes allows you to get the right size for your dog to stretch out comfortably. I liked that the cover was removable and washing machine safe for easy cleaning. I generally felt this was a high-quality, comfortable dog bed.
- Most owners found that this bed was thick and very supportive for their dog
- Owners generally felt this bed was comfortable for their dog and stated that their dog loved this bed
- Owners appreciated that the bed had a removable cover, making it easy to wash
- Many found that the bed was durable, with some mentioning it was more durable than other dog beds they’d tried
- Owners of large breeds, like the German Shepherd, liked that they could get a size big enough for their dog to fully stretch out on
- Most owners felt that this bed was high-quality and good value for money
- Some owners found that this bed sunk down in the middle when their dog was on it and therefore, felt it wasn’t supportive enough for their dog
- Some found the bed broke or ripped during the washing process
- Some found the sizing was misleading and ended up with a bed that was too small for their large breed dog
- Some owners felt the bed wasn’t as high-quality as they expected and were disappointed with the product
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 4 October, 2022
Things to Look for in a Dog Bed for a German Shepherd
When you’re looking for the best dog bed for a German Shepherd, the following factors will help you to make the best choice:
There are so many types of dog bed on the market, so it’s important you take your time to figure out what’s best for your dog. If your dog likes to lie stretched out, a flat pillow bed or an elevated bed might be best. If your dog prefers to be snuggled up, a donut bed or bolster bed can help to create that nest-like feeling.
The climate and your lifestyle should also have an influence over which type of bed you choose. If you live in a hot climate, an elevated bed can help to keep your dog cool. If you live somewhere it gets very cold, a self-warming, cozy bed may be more suitable.
A bed made from high-quality materials will ensure the bed is comfortable, safe, and durable for your dog.
German Shepherds are large, heavy dogs so it’s important the bed you choose is going to take their weight and give them enough support. Look for sturdy materials and plenty of filling. It’s always a good idea to check the reviews for guidance on how supportive the bed is.
Correct Size for Your Dog
Of course, you want the bed to be big enough for your Shepherd to stretch out fully on. However, if they prefer to snuggle up when they sleep, you don’t want the bed to be so big that it loses that cozy, enclosed feeling.
Comfort for Your Dog
Size, support, and material quality will play a big part in how comfortable the bed is for your dog. Look for materials that are breathable or soft to provide extra comfort.
German Shepherds are active dogs and they shed a lot, so they’re going to get their bed dirty. Choosing a bed that’s easy to clean will make your life easier. Some beds will have removable covers while others may wipe clean.
Since Shepherds are active, large breeds, durability becomes even more important. Quality materials play a big part in durability. You can also look for additional features such as a bed that’s water resistant or that has reinforced stitching.
Since the bed is going to be in your home all the time, you might want a specific style to fit in with your décor. There are so many beds on the market, you’re bound to find a material type or color that works for you.
The Importance of a Quality Bed for Your German Shepherd
A good bed for your dog is just as important as it is for you. In fact, dogs sleep more than we do, so they spend more time in their bed. On average, dogs sleep between 12 to 18 hours a day.
The right amount of good quality sleep keeps your dog healthy and happy. It’s crucial for their mind and body to keep working properly. A quality dog bed ensures your dog is comfortable, meaning they’re likely to sleep more restfully.
A bed also provides a cozy, safe place to rest even when they’re not sleeping. Like your bedroom, it gives them a calming place that they know is theirs, where they can go to unwind. If they’re stressed or anxious, they can retreat to their bed to relax.
As German Shepherds get older, they can develop joint issues. A supportive bed can help to prevent joint issues in the future, as well as make older dogs more comfortable. A bed can even help to keep them warm during cold weather.
Dog Bed for a German Shepherd FAQs
How big of a dog bed does a German Shepherd need?
The bed should be big enough for them to stretch out on, but not so large that it loses that cozy feeling. Measure your dog (or their existing bed) and compare it to the size guide of the bed you’re considering for guidance.
What do German Shepherds sleep on?
They should sleep on a comfortable bed, and you can even include a blanket for extra warmth.
Does your German Shepherd need a blanket?
Despite their thick coat, German Shepherds can still get cold in the winter so giving them blanket can be very useful.
We all want our dogs to be healthy and happy: they’re our furbabies! Providing your dog with a quality bed will ensure your dog can snooze comfortably any time they like.
Susan Paretts, (2021), “The Importance of a Good Dog Bed”. American Kennel Club.
What is the Best Dog Bed for German Shepherd?
- Top Pick: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Second best: Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed
- Third best: Big Barker 7" Headrest Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed with Removable Cover
- Recommended: FurHaven Ultra Plush Luxe Lounger Orthopedic Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover
- Recommended: Frisco Pillow Cat & Dog Bed