Just like us, our dogs need a comfortable, supportive bed to sleep on. Their sleep is just as important as ours, ensuring their mind and body stay healthy. We’ll take a look at 5 great beds for your pup, comparing bed type, comfort, and durability.
The Best Dog Bed for Golden Retrievers
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Dog Beds for Golden Retrievers
Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed review
- Best elevated bed
- Steel frame for durability
- Keeps dogs comfortable and cool
When you’re looking for the best dog bed for Golden Retrievers, it’s worth considering the Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed. This elevated bed features a powder-coated steel frame with a PVC-coated fabric sleeping area, meaning it’s made to last and stand up to wear. The fabric is breathable to ensure your pup is comfortable, and since the bed is elevated it will keep your dog cool in hot weather and help them avoid drafts in cold weather.
I loved that this bed was water-resistant and very easy to clean, which I found practical with an adventurous dog who is often muddy. I like that it can be used indoors or outdoors, and is easy to assemble. The feet are skid-resistant to ensure the bed doesn’t slide around when your dog gets on and off it.
- Most owners found this bed was very durable and strong, even standing up to large breed dogs playing on it
- Many said that the bed was easy to put together and didn’t take long to construct
- Owners generally felt this bed was very comfortable and supportive for their dog, especially when combined with a blanket
- Owners liked that this bed could be used both indoors and outdoors
- Most owners loved that this bed was so easy and quick to clean
- Many owners liked that this bed kept their dog off the floor, keeping them cool in hot climates and avoiding drafts in cold weather
- Many felt that this bed was excellent value given the low price and high-quality
- Some owners experienced breakage after a period of regular use, in particular mentioning sagging in the middle or the seams ripping
- Some owners found their dogs didn’t like this style of bed
- Some found this bed difficult or confusing to put together
- Can be prone to sliding around on wooden floors, which makes it hard for the dog to get on and off the bed
FurHaven Quilted Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover review
- Best orthopedic bed
- Very supportive and comfortable
- Medical grade orthopedic base
If you’re looking for something softer for your best pal, the FurHaven Quilted Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover is a great option. The medical-grade orthopedic foam base and quilted cover provide the ultimate in support and comfort for your pup. The bolster on 3 sides of the bed creates that cosy feel and offers extra support, while the lower side makes it easier for older dogs or those with reduced mobility to access.
I loved that the cover of the bed could be popped in the washing machine for easy cleaning. I generally felt that this bed was high-quality, durable, and well-made. I liked the range of color and size choices allowing you to find something that fits your needs.
- Owners loved that this bed was orthopedic, with most feeling it offered extra support for their dogs, especially those with joint issues
- Many owners said that this bed was very comfortable for their dog, with their dog choosing it over other places to sleep in the home
- Owners liked that the bolsters served as a headrest and provided extra comfort
- Owners appreciated the low side, allowing their older dogs or dogs with mobility issues to easily step on and off the bed
- Owners of large breed dogs appreciated that they could get a bed big enough for their dog to stretch out on fully
- Many said this bed was highly durable and stood up to wear over time, with some stating it had lasted them months or years
- Owners liked that the cover was easily to remove for cleaning
- Some owners found that the bed wasn’t as supportive as they expected for their older dog or dogs with joint issues
- Some experienced breakage after a period of use, in particular mentioning the zippers as a weak point and the material being thinner than expected
- Some found that the bed wasn’t as thick as they expected
- Some stated that the bed wasn’t as high-quality as they hoped and were disappointed with their purchase
Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed review
- Best donut bed
- Creates a cosy nest
- Soft and luxurious
If your Golden Retriever is a big cuddle-bug, the Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed might be the 1 for you. The raised edges create a cosy nest for your pup to snuggle up into, as well as offering extra support. The faux shag fur is extremely soft to provide extra comfort and warmth.
I love that this donut cuddle bed went up to sizes big enough for large breeds, unlike some other similar beds I’d seen. I loved that it was self-warming, with an extra insulation layer to reflect your dog’s body heat back to them, which is perfect for cold nights. This bed is durable, easy to clean, and high-quality.
- Owners found that this bed was very calming for their pet, even for those with anxiety issues
- Many owners said their dogs absolutely loved this bed and would choose it over other places to lie in the home
- Most owners felt this bed was very comfortable for their dog, in particular mentioning the soft material and ‘nest-like’ shape
- Many said this bed was durable and lasted well over time, even standing up to regular washing
- Owners of large breed dogs liked that they could get a snuggly bed big enough for their pup to lie in comfortably
- Some found that there wasn’t enough filling and the bed wasn’t thick enough for their pup
- Some owners felt this bed wasn’t supportive enough for their dog
- Some experienced breakage, in particular during the washing process
- Not designed to stand up to chewing and biting, with some finding their dog could chew up this bed
- Some found the sizing misleading and ended up with the wrong sized bed for their dog
Frisco Pillow Cat & Dog Bed review
- Best pillow bed
- No raised sides for easy access
- Soft and supportive
The Frisco Pillow Cat & Dog Bed is a great option, with ultra-plush fabric for comfort and plenty of filling for support. The pillow design with no raised sides is ideal for dogs who like to sprawl out, or for those who are older or have mobility issues. The high-quality material is durable and made to last.
I liked that this bed was easy to clean, with a removable cover for convenience. I appreciated the faux suede fabric on the outer edges, which I felt was very stylish. I generally felt this bed was great quality.
- Owners generally felt this bed was thick, supportive, and comfortable for their dog
- Owners liked that the cover of this bed was removable so they could wash it easily
- Many said their dogs loved this bed and would choose it over the other dog beds on offer
- Many said this bed was durable and long-lasting, with some saying it stood up to wear much better than other beds they owned
- Many felt that this bed was great value given the affordable price and high quality
- Owners of large breeds, like the Golden Retriever, liked that they could a size big enough for their dog to stretch out fully on
- Some felt that this bed wasn’t supportive or thick enough for their dog, mentioning it sunk down when their dog was on the bed
- Some experienced breakage and ripping after a period of use, especially during washing
- Some found the sizing was misleading and didn’t get a big enough bed for their large breed dog
- Some found this bed wasn’t as high-quality as they expected
Frisco Plush Orthopedic Pillowtop Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover review
- Best pillowtop bed
- Orthopedic foam base
- Luxury, plush pillow top
If you want your Retriever to have the ultimate luxury, consider the Frisco Plush Orthopedic Pillowtop Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover. With an orthopedic foam base for support and a luxury pillow top, plush sleeping surface, this bed is designed to be extremely comfortable for your dog. The cover is removable and can be put in the washing machine to make cleaning a breeze.
This bed is easy to access and very supportive for dogs with joint or mobility issues. I loved how high-quality this bed was and felt it was very supportive and comfortable for my dogs. I felt it was well made and would stand up to wear well.
- Owners of large breed dogs liked that they could get a comfortable bed for their dog to stretch out on
- Many felt that this bed was supportive and comfortable, even for dogs with joint pain or mobility issues
- Many said this bed was very durable, with some even saying it had lasted for years
- Owners liked that they could easily remove the cover and put it in the washing machine to make cleaning the bed easy
- Many owners loved this bed and said they would recommend it to others, with some even buying 2 or more of the same bed to have in different areas of the home
- Some experienced breakage after a short period of use, in particular mentioning rips in the fabric
- Some found that the bed wasn’t supportive enough for their large dog, with the stuffing ‘compressing’ or ‘sinking’ after a period of use
- Some found the sizing misleading and got the wrong sized bed for their dog
- Some owners found the bottom of the bed was slippery and would slide around on the floor when their dog got on and off the bed
- Some found this bed broke during the washing process
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 4 October, 2022
Things to Look for in a Dog Bed for a Golden Retriever
Below are some factors worth keeping in mind to help you choose the right bed for your best friend:
Type of Bed
There are so many different types of bed, so take your time to figure out what will work for your dog’s needs. Think about how your dog usually sleeps: do they like to curl up, or do they prefer to sprawl out? Do they like to be snuggled up, or prefer to lie on a flat surface?
It’s also important to think about your dog’s health, age, and mobility. Dogs with joint issues and older dogs might need a more supportive bed or a bed with low sides for easy access. If you’re looking for the best dog bed for Golden Retriever puppies, you might prefer something more robust and easier to clean.
If you live in a cold climate, you might prefer something more snuggly, while if you live in a warm climate you might like a raised bed to keep your dog cool.
Correct Size for Your Dog
When it comes to size, of course you want a bed that’s big enough for your dog to lie on properly. However, if your dog prefers to snuggle up in a bed with high sides, you don’t want the bed to be too big, as this can take away that cosy feeling. Look at the size guide carefully and consider measuring beds your dog already has for comparison.
A bed made from high-quality materials is more likely to be more comfortable for your pup and last longer. Think about the materials inside the bed which offer support, as well as the cover.
Comfort for Your Dog
As well as the type of bed and size, there are other factors which contribute to your dog’s comfort. Consider how supportive the bed is, as well as how soft and cosy the cover is.
Dogs get muddy and most of them shed all over their bed, so for your own convenience it’s important the bed is easy to clean. A lot of beds will have a removable cover you can put in the washing machine.
Since the bed will be in your home, it’s important you’re happy with how it looks. Some people may prefer certain colours, materials, and textures to fit their décor.
To get the most of your money, it’s important the bed is durable so that it wears well over time. As well as high-quality materials, it’s also important the bed is well made. It’s always a good idea to check the reviews to see if the bed you’re considering is durable.
Benefits of a Quality Dog Bed for Your Golden Retriever
As we mentioned earlier, sleep is just as important for your dog as it is for you. In fact, it might be even more important because dogs sleep even more than we do! Your dog will sleep between 12 and 18 hours a day, depending on their breed, age, and health.
A quality dog bed for your Golden Retriever as many benefits including:
- Comfort: A high-quality bed ensures your dog is comfortable when they’re resting.
- Improving sleep quality: If your dog is comfortable, they’re more likely to sleep better.
- Better physical health: Improved sleep quality means your dog is more likely to stay physically healthy for longer.
- Better cognitive skills: Sleep quality also improves their cognitive skills, meaning they’re more likely to behave well, have a better memory, and be more able to learn.
- More energy: When your dog has had enough rest, they’ll have more energy to enjoy life.
- Support: A good bed provides support for their joints which can reduce the risk of joint issues later in life, or ease pain from existing joint issues.
- Safe space: Having a bed of their own gives them a safe space to retreat to when they want to relax.
Golden Retriever Dog Bed FAQ
How big of a dog bed do you need for your Golden Retriever?
The bed should be big enough for your dog to stretch out, but not so big that it isn’t ‘cosy’. Check the size guide and measure your dog or their existing beds for guidance.
What do Golden Retrievers like to sleep on?
Like other dogs, most Golden Retrievers like to sleep on a comfortable bed with a cosy blanket.
Choosing a comfy, supportive bed for your Golden Retriever ensures they sleep well and are ready for all of your adventures together!
What is the Best Dog Bed for Golden Retriever?
- Top Pick: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Second best: FurHaven Quilted Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover
- Third best: Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed
- Recommended: Frisco Pillow Cat & Dog Bed
- Recommended: Frisco Plush Orthopedic Pillowtop Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover