The American Pit Bull Terrier, most commonly known as the Pitbull, is a beautiful, solidly built breed with a gorgeous broad head. Sadly, they’re often misunderstood or stigmatized as aggressive or dangerous, when in fact that couldn’t be further from the truth. They’re such friendly, gentle, playful dogs who love to exercise and stay active. Therefore, they need a good collar for their adventures: we’ll take a look at 5 collars suitable for a Pitbull, comparing collar type, durability, and comfort for your dog.
The Best Dog Collars for Pitbulls
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Dog Collars for Pitbulls
Soft Touch Collars Leather Two-Tone Padded Dog Collar review
- Best leather collar
- Full-grain leather
- Highly durable and comfortable
When you’re looking for the best collar for a Pitbull, the Soft Touch Collars Leather Two-Tone Padded Dog Collar is definitely a top choice. Made from real, full-grain leather with hand stitching, this collar is designed to be very durable and high-quality. The edges of the collar are sealed, and it features solid brass hardware to make it even more robust.
An inner layer of padded sheepskin leather ensures the collar doesn’t rub and gives your dog luxurious comfort. This collar is fairly wide to distribute the pressure more evenly, ideal for your Pitbull’s large neck. There’s a separate ring to attach your dog’s ID tags, which I found convenient and smart.
I loved the 2-tone style of this collar and the choice of colors, feeling it looked great on my dogs and was very stylish. I felt this collar was well-made and was impressed by the quality of the materials.
- Most owners felt this collar was exceptionally high-quality for their dog, with many saying they were pleased it was real leather
- Owners found the collar was durable, standing up to wear over time even with active dogs and strong breeds like the Pitbull
- Owners typically found the collar was very comfortable for their dog, in particular mentioning the padded inner layer and quality materials
- Many said they loved the color choice of this collar and felt it looked very stylish on their dog
- Many owners said they would recommend this collar to other dog owners
- Some owners found that the collar was too wide, especially for small breed dogs
- Some stated that the size guide was confusing and couldn’t get a collar that was the right size for their dog
- Some owners felt the collar wasn’t durable, mentioning they experienced wear or breakage after a period of use
- Due to the genuine leather, some owners found the collar had a strong smell when it arrived which they didn’t like
OneTigris Nylon Military Dog Collar review
- Best military collar
- Fully adjustable
- Space for military patches
The OneTigris Nylon Military Dog Collar is an excellent choice if you prefer a more military collar style for your pup. This flat collar is made from durable nylon to stand up to all sorts of wear, with a sturdy metal ring and buckle for extra security. The inside features soft padding to ensure your dog’s comfort and prevent rubbing.
This collar is wide and sturdy, perfect for your Pitbull’s neck. I loved that it was so durable and was adjustable so it can grow with your dog, meaning it really is designed to last. I liked the smart choice of colors and appreciated that it had an area to attach patches for working dogs or simply for extra style.
- Owners liked that this collar was so heavy-duty, with many stating it was durable enough to stand up to wear even with large breeds and very active dogs
- Owners stated this collar was very secure even for powerful breeds (including those who usually break collars), feeling it gave them plenty of control
- Many owners said they liked the option to add patches to this collar
- Owners liked that this collar was so adjustable, with some stating it grew with their dog which saved them having to buy new collars
- Many owners said they felt this collar was comfortable for their dog, stating it didn’t chafe like other collars they had tried
- Not a wide variety of color choices, with some owners wishing there was more choice
- Some owners found the sizing confusing and ended up with the wrong size for their dog
- Some experienced breakage or wear after a period of use and therefore, felt the collar wasn’t well made
- Some felt this collar was too rough and not comfortable for their dog to wear
PetSafe Quick Snap Buckle Nylon Martingale Dog Collar review
- Best martingale collar
- Gives extra control
- Range of color choices
If you need extra control, the PetSafe Quick Snap Buckle Nylon Martingale Dog Collar could be the best choice for you. This collar gently tightens as your dog pulls and loosens when they stop, allowing for more control, gentle correction, and preventing escape artists from wiggling out of their collar. Made from durable nylon, this collar is secure and reliable, standing up to wear over time.
I liked the range of bright color choices with this collar, feeling I could get something that really suited my pup. I liked the quick snap buckle to make taking the collar on and off easier and safer. I generally felt this was a high-quality collar which could aid with training.
- Owners found this collar was secure and stopped their dog from escaping, even with escape artists
- Many owners found that when paired with training, this collar helped to give them more control and enabled them to correct negative behaviors, such as pulling on the lead
- Owners typically found this collar was durable, standing up to wear over time even with large or powerful breeds
- Many said they felt this collar was comfortable for their dog to wear
- Many owners felt this collar looked smart on their dog, with some saying they liked the choice of colors
- Some owners couldn’t get the right size for their dog, mentioning they felt the sizing was confusing
- Some owners experienced breakage after a period of use and therefore, felt the collar wasn’t durable
- Some said the collar didn’t give them as much control as they expected and didn’t help to stop negative behaviors on walks
- Some owners didn’t like the concept of the collar tightening around their dog’s neck and therefore, chose not to continue using the collar
Blueberry Pet 3M Multi-Colored Stripe Polyester Reflective Dog Collar review
- Best reflective collar
- 3M reflective webbing
- Ring for dog’s ID tags
The Blueberry Pet 3M Multi-Colored Stripe Polyester Reflective Dog Collar is a great everyday collar choice for a Pitbull, especially if you’re using the collar more for ID purposes. It’s made from polyester webbing to ensure durability and has a ring specifically to display your dog’s ID tags. It’s available in a wide range of bright color combinations which I felt were very stylish and smart on my dogs.
I loved that this collar had 3-meter reflective threads woven in, making it convenient for walks at night. Double D-rings make the collar more secure if you do want to attach a leash. In general, I felt this collar was cute, practical, and high-quality.
- Most owners felt this collar was durable and secure for their dog, even for medium and large breeds, with some owners saying it stood up to wear well over time
- Owners liked that this collar was reflective, saying it was very visible and made walks in low light safer
- Owners liked the color choice and the fact that the colors were vibrant, saying it made the collar look great on their dog
- Many owners liked the additional loop to display their dog’s tag, finding it handy
- Some said they liked the double D-rings for leash attachment, which makes the collar more secure
- Some owners found that the collar was stiff rather than soft, and felt it wasn’t comfortable for their dog
- Some owners struggled to get the right size for their dog, finding the sizing confusing
- Some said the collar wasn’t durable, finding it broke after a period of use
- Some felt the collar wasn’t good value, in particular mentioning it wasn’t high enough quality for the price
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 2 December, 2022
Things to Look for in a Collar for a Pitbull
When you’re looking for the best collar for Pitbulls, it’s a good idea to look for the following:
With lots of different types of collar on the market, you need to think about what’s right for your lifestyle and needs. If you’re going to be using the collar solely for ID purposes, it doesn’t need to be as durable, so a thinner collar or 1 that’s personalized may be more suitable. If you’re going to attach a leash to the collar, a thicker, stronger collar will be more suitable.
Correct Size for Your Dog
It’s important that the collar is the right size for your dog, so that it’s safe and comfortable for them. A collar that’s too small will dig in and be uncomfortable, while 1 that’s too big may rub and cause skin irritation. A collar that’s too roomy may also allow your dog to escape, causing a safety issue.
Read the size guide of the collar you’re considering and measure your dog’s neck carefully. It can also be helpful to check the reviews to see if other owners found the collar runs true to size.
Comfort for Your Dog
Of course, you want your dog to be comfortable while they’re wearing their collar. The right sized collar as well as soft materials are key here. You can also look for other factors which will make them more comfortable, such as padding and breathability.
When a collar is well-made and constructed with high-quality materials, it’s more likely to stand up to wear well and last longer over time. It also ensures your dog is getting the best collar for their needs.
Since your dog is going to be wearing the collar a lot and they’re a strong breed, durability is even more important. High-quality materials are crucial, along with other features such as strong metal hardware and a secure D-ring.
As owners we want our dogs to look stylish and with so many collars on the market, you can find something that suits your taste. Collars are often available in a variety of finishes, styles, and colors.
Some collars may offer additional features, such as reflective elements, being waterproof, or mechanisms which offer more control (such as tightening when your dog pulls).
Collar Versus Harness for Your Pitbull
Most people will have their dog wear a collar when out on walks to display their ID, and in some places, this is a legal requirement. However, the choice between a collar or a harness for walking your Pitbull is a personal 1, with both having pros and cons.
Pitbulls are strong, powerful dogs and a collar may help you get more control. On the other hand, if your dog is consistently pulling on the lead, all that strength puts pressure on their throat which can cause discomfort, choking, and breathing problems.
Harnesses tend to be more comfortable for your dog in general and they distribute the pressure across your dog’s chest and body, rather than focusing it on their neck. This makes them safer and typically better for your dog’s health. Depending on the type of harness you choose, they can also give you more control.
Take your time to figure out what will work best for your dog. If they’re well trained and don’t pull, a collar may work for you. If they pull on the lead, a harness will be more suitable, especially while they’re learning to walk well on a lead.
Collar Safety Advice
Always ensure your dog’s collar fits correctly and is comfortable for them to wear. Take your dog’s collar off inside the home, especially when they’re playing, in a crate, or left alone, as it can cause a strangulation hazard. Never pull your dog back on their collar, as this can damage their neck.
Pitbull Collar FAQs
Is a collar or a harness better for your Pitbull?
In general, a harness is safer and more comfortable for a Pitbull unless they’re trained to walk on the lead very well. A collar is better for displaying your Pitbull’s ID.
Why do Pitbulls wear wide collars?
Since Pitbulls have fairly thick necks, a wider collar is often more comfortable for them, especially if it’s used to attach a leash. It distributes the pressure evenly and is less likely to rub or chafe. It’s also more likely to be durable.
Do shock collars work for Pitbulls?
No, shock collars are inhumane and can actually worsen behavior issues, especially when used incorrectly. They also break the trust between you and your dog and create fear.
How do you stop your Pitbull from pulling on the leash?
A good harness combined with consistent, reward-based training can help to tackle pulling.
With the right collar, your Pitbull will be comfortable and looking their best, ready to go out on adventures with you.
What is the Best Dog Collar for Pitbull?
- Top Pick: Soft Touch Collars Leather Two-Tone Padded Dog Collar
- Second best: OneTigris Nylon Military Dog Collar
- Third best: PetSafe Quick Snap Buckle Nylon Martingale Dog Collar
- Recommended: Blueberry Pet 3M Multi-Colored Stripe Polyester Reflective Dog Collar
- Recommended: GoTags Nylon Personalized Dog Collar