Dog Crates for French Bulldogs Buyers Guide
What is a Good Size Crate for French Bulldogs?
Choosing the right size crate for your French Bulldog is essential. If your Frenchie’s crate is too small, it won’t be comfortable.
Yet if it’s too big, your Frenchie may not get that cozy, safe feeling and may even be more inclined to use their crate as a toilet.
In general, Frenchie needs a small to medium-sized crate. Your dog’s crate should be roughly between 28 and 30 inches.
If your Frenchie is an adult, I’d recommend measuring them. Measure their height from their head to the ground, and their length from the tip of their nose to the base of their tail.
Add between 2 and 4 inches to these measurements to get the best crate size for your dog.
For French Bulldog puppies, it’s a good idea to get an adult-sized crate with a divider so your dog can grow into it. That way, you save money!
As a rule of thumb, your dog should have enough room to stand up fully, turn around, and lie down comfortably inside their crate.
French bulldog crates should also be durable. French Bulldogs can be quite active and playful, so you want a crate that won’t easily break or fall apart.
Should I Crate Train my French Bulldog Puppy?
Whether you choose to crate train your dog is a personal choice. Crate training has lots of benefits and is recommended by most breeders, rescue centers, dog trainers, and vets.
The American Kennel Club explains that the benefits of crate training include:
- Giving your dog their own comfortable, safe place if they feel overwhelmed or worried
- Being prepared for emergencies such as evacuation or crate rest after medical treatment
- Providing a consistent safe space during travel
- Keeping dogs safe when they’re unsupervised (so they don’t chew up your furniture or get into something harmful)
- Helping with potty training (dogs don’t like to go to the toilet where they sleep)
- Helping you tackle behavior issues
Despite what many pet owners think, crate training isn’t cruel or something you need to feel guilty about. It can be a very a positive experience for your dog! It helps to keep them healthy, safe, and happy.
What to Look for in a Crate for a French Bulldog
When you’re searching for the best crate for your French Bulldog puppies, you should look for the following:
- The type of crate you need (the metal crate is more suitable for destructive dogs and puppies, while soft crates are suitable for well-trained Frenchies)
- High-quality materials
- The right size the crate
- Plenty of ventilation
- Number of doors (this affects placement in your home as well as access for both you and your dog)
- Easy cleaning
- Easy assembly
Do lots of research and check out the reviews to help you to pick the best crates for your needs.
Crate training can be a great thing for both dog owners and your dog. Finding the right crate can be tricky but it’s worth spending time on. We hope you find this guide helpful.
Kaitlyn Arford, (2019), Crate Training Benefits: Why A Crate Is Great for You and Your Dog. The American Kennel Club.