If your dog is an aggressive chewer, you’ve likely tried all sorts of treats and found that they’re devoured in moments. It can feel as though you’ve wasted your money because your dog doesn’t enjoy that rewarding ‘chew time’. Thankfully, there are lots of excellent, long-lasting treats to stand up to aggressive chewers.
The Best Dog Treats for Aggressive Chewers
More Detailed Dog Treats for Aggressive Chewer Reviews
True Acre Foods Hearty Bones Long-Lasting Beef Flavored Treats review
- Best for natural ingredients
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Suitable for medium to large breeds
The True Acre Foods Hearty Bones Long-Lasting Beef Flavored Treats are 1 of the best dog treats for aggressive chewers on the market. These treats are made of all-natural ingredients, giving your pup nothing but the best. They have a hard texture to make them longer-lasting and good for oral health.
These treats even have a delicious meaty middle for your dog to discover, which my dogs really enjoyed. They’re suitable for medium to large breeds. With a great low price, they’re bound to be a hit with both owner and dog.
- Many owners said these treats were longer-lasting than other treats their dogs had tried
- Reasonably priced with some owners feeling they are good value
- Many owners said their dogs loved the taste of these treats
- Owners liked the all-natural ingredients, feeling they were good quality for their dog
- While some said the treats didn’t last for hours for their large breeds, they stated they lasted much longer than any similar product they had tried
- Some owners found that these weren’t as long-lasting as they hoped with their large breed power chewers
- Too large and heavy for small breed dogs, leaving some owners disappointed
- Natural ingredients mean the product can be messy at times, with some recommending giving it to your dog outside or on an easily cleaned surface
- Some found the smell of these treats unpleasant
Himalayan Pet Supply Natural Cheese Dog Treats review
- Most long-lasting
- Hard texture, lasts hours
- All-natural ingredients
The Himalayan Pet Supply Natural Cheese Dog Treats are truly 1 of the best treats for tough chewers, with a hard texture that will have your dog chewing for hours. These treats are made with completely natural ingredients and are lactose-free, so they’re safe and high-quality for your pup. My springer spaniel chewed away at this treat for days before it started to break down.
As they chew, your dog will also be helping to clean their own teeth. A range of sizes are available, making them suitable for all breeds. At a reasonable, mid-range price, these treats are fantastic value for money.
- Many owners said this treat was extremely long-lasting, even for power chewers and bigger dogs
- Natural ingredients are healthy and suitable for dogs with dietary restrictions
- Many said their dogs really loved the taste of these treats
- Small leftover pieces can be microwaved to make a cheese treat, which owners enjoyed and felt was good value for money
- Several said these were great for keeping their dogs happily occupied while they were busy
- Some dogs didn’t like the smell and taste of this chew
- Some owners felt that although the treat was long-lasting, it didn’t last as long as they had expected
- Some owners didn’t enjoy the way this made their dog’s breath smell
- Some found this chew was too hard for their dog
- Supervision may be needed during chewing, as smaller pieces can break off which some owners felt was unsafe
Nylabone Edibles Natural Nubz Chicken Flavor Dog Chew review
- Best for small breeds
- 2 sizes for small mouths
- Can be broken into smaller pieces
The Nylabone Edibles Natural Nubz Chicken Flavor Dog Chew are a brilliant option, made from real chicken and other natural ingredients. They’re designed to be long-lasting for small breeds and even have small nubs to clean your pup’s teeth as they chew. They can easily be broken up into smaller pieces to suit the smallest mouths.
These treats come with a few in a pack at a fantastic mid-range price. They’re also designed to be gentle on your precious pup’s tummy. My small breeds really enjoyed these treats.
- Many owners said these treats were long-lasting for their small breeds, even for those who are aggressive chewers
- Small breed owners enjoyed being able to break these bones up into smaller pieces
- Many said their dogs really loved these treats, enjoying the taste and crunchy texture
- Several said they felt these treats helped to clean their dog’s teeth
- Owners said that these treats had a strong, pleasant smell which really attracted their dogs
- Don’t last long for bigger breeds who are aggressive chewers
- Some found that the texture of these treats was too hard for their dog’s mouth
- Bones can spoil if not stored in an airtight container
- Some owners felt the ingredients were not as high-quality as they expected for the price
SmartBones Skin & Coat Care Chicken Chews Dog Treats review
- Best for additional benefits
- Enriched for healthy skin and coat
- Great for dental care
The SmartBones Skin & Coat Care Chicken Chews Dog Treats are not only tough and long-lasting to stand up to aggressive chewers, but they also have a ton of additional benefits. Natural ingredients provide a high-quality chew for your best friend while also being enriched with vitamins and minerals to keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy. As your dog chews, these treats will also help to clean their teeth.
These treats come in 1 size but are generally suitable for most small, medium, and large breeds. I wouldn’t recommend them for toy breed dogs, as they may be too big and tough. Their low price provides an added bonus.
- Healthier, safer alternative to rawhide which many owners appreciated
- Many said their dogs loved the taste of these chews
- Owners liked the natural ingredients which are good for skin and coat care, with some saying they had seen improvements in their dog’s health as a result
- Some said the chews kept their dogs occupied and busy for longer than expected
- Some found that these were good for cleaning their dog’s teeth
- Some owners felt they didn’t last long for their power chewers when compared to other similar chews
- Some owners found their dog wasn’t interested in these chews
- Some owners weren’t sure whether the additional benefits of these treats were having an effect on their dog, but they still enjoyed the taste
Ferrera Farms Pig Ear Dog Treats review
- Best budget option
- Very low price
- All-natural and long-lasting
The Ferrera Farms Pig Ear Dog Treats are all-natural, consisting of a slow-roasted pig’s ear. Your dog will love the meaty flavor, and the texture will keep them chewing until the pigs come home. These treats are suitable for all breeds but are more likely to last longer for smaller and medium breeds.
Perhaps most exciting for owners, an individual pig’s ear comes at an exceptionally low price. If you have more than 1 dog, you can find packs of pig’s ears which are excellent value. All 3 of my dogs love these pig’s ears, so I would personally recommend this for your pooch.
- Natural, safer alternative to rawhide or bones, with similar benefits and enjoyment
- Many owners said their dogs love these pigs ears, enjoying the taste and texture
- Longer-lasting for small dogs who are aggressive chewers, keeping them happily occupied for long periods
- Several owners felt this treat was good quality and good value
- Great for redirecting destructive chewing or providing mental stimulation
- Some felt this wasn’t as good value as other similar products
- Doesn’t last as long with larger breeds who are aggressive chewers
- Some owners didn’t like the smell of the treat or the mess it made
- Some said the treat didn’t agree with their dog’s sensitive stomach
Bones & Chews Bully Stick 6" Dog Treats review
- Best rawhide alternative
- 100% natural beef
- Long-lasting, tough chew
These Bones & Chews Bully Stick 6″ Dog Treats are amazing for aggressive chewers. They’re made of 100% all-natural beef, making them high quality, super tasty for your dog, and long-lasting. If you’re looking for a safer alternative to rawhide, these are a great option.
As a bonus, your dog will be cleaning their own teeth as they munch. These bully sticks are suitable for all breeds of tough chewers and are good value for money. I found my dogs really enjoyed the taste of these chews and I enjoyed watching them munch away.
- Many said they would highly recommend these sticks for aggressive chewers, as they were longer-lasting than most others they had tried
- Very tasty for dogs, with an attractive meaty smell
- Great for keeping dogs occupied while owners are busy
- Owners felt these treats were great value for money
- Owners liked the natural ingredients, feeling they were better for their dog than some other options
- Some owners found the meaty smell overpowering
- Some owners said their dogs didn’t like the taste of these treats
- Can be hard on the digestive system, especially for sensitive dogs
- Some felt these weren’t as high-quality as they had expected
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 2 December, 2022
Things to Look for in a Dog Treat for Aggressive Chewers
When you’re looking for a dog treat for your aggressive chewer, there are a few things you should keep in mind to help you make the best choice:
Quality, Natural Ingredients
A treat with natural, high-quality ingredients is much better for your dog. This ensures there are no hidden nasties in your dog’s treats, which means they’re more easily digestible. Natural ingredients also tend to be much lower in calories, reducing the risk of overfeeding and weight gain.
Correct Size for Your Dog
It’s always important to choose a treat that is the right size for your dog. This ensures they can chew it safely and comfortably, as well as making sure it lasts as long as possible.
If your dog is an aggressive chewer, you’re going to want a treat that states it’s long-lasting. Look for this in the treat’s description. It’s always a good idea to check out the reviews too.
Potential Additional Health Benefits
Some treats might have additional benefits for your dog, such as cleaning their teeth as they chew or additional ingredients to promote better health. This can be helpful, so keep an eye out for it.
Why You Might Choose a Treat Specifically for Your Aggressive Chewer
If your dog is an aggressive chewer, you’re probably used to giving them treats that disappear in seconds. Many owners search for treats that are going to be longer lasting and tougher for their aggressive chewer. This keeps your dog interested for longer, allows them to gain all the health benefits of chewing, and is better value for money!
Health Benefits of Chewing for Your Dog
There are so many health benefits for your dog that come from the action of chewing:
- Mental and physical stimulation: Not only does chewing get your dog’s mind working, it also uses their muscles and helps them burn excess energy.
- Dental care: The action of chewing helps to remove plaque and tartar from your dog’s teeth, as well as promoting healthy gums.
- Natural behavior: Chewing is a natural behavior for your dog, something that their ancestors would have done. Therefore, chewing is something your dog will naturally feel driven to do.
- Redirecting destructive chewing: Since your dog feels driven to chew, you need to provide them with a healthy outlet for this behavior. If you don’t, they’ll find something to chew themselves, which can often be destructive. Teaching them what’s appropriate to chew redirects that destructive chewing and keeps both you and your dog happy.
- Relieving stress and anxiety: Chewing can help your dog relieve stress and make them feel more relaxed.
- Fun: Finally, chewing something tasty is just downright fun for your dog!
General Treat Safety Advice
It’s always a good idea to supervise your dog while they’re chewing, particularly if it’s the first time they’ve tried a treat. This ensures their safety and prevents choking. Choosing the right size of treat also increases your dog’s safety.
You should try to avoid giving your dog treats that include bones or rawhide. Bones can splinter, and fragments can often lead to blockages or perforations, which can be very serious. Bones can also be too hard, causing broken teeth.
Rawhide material can take a very long time for your dog to digest and be hard on their delicate tummy. This often causes blockages and other digestive issues. Treats made from natural, high-quality ingredients are best.
Dog Treat for Aggressive Chewers FAQ
Why are some dogs aggressive chewers?
There isn’t 1 definitive reason some dogs are aggressive chewers. It can depend on the breed and size of your dog. Some dogs naturally have a stronger jaw and bite than others.
If your dog is bored and under-stimulated, they’re also more likely to chew often and for longer.
Will treats help to redirect destructive chewing?
Yes, treats can be a great way to help redirect destructive chewing. Smaller treats can also be used as training aids to teach your dog what’s safe to chew and what isn’t.
The right dog treat can allow your aggressive chewer to munch away for longer, letting them get the most out of their treat. A happier dog means a happier owner.
What is the Best Dog Treat for Aggressive Chewers?
- Top Pick: True Acre Foods Hearty Bones Long-Lasting Beef Flavored Treats
- Second best: Himalayan Pet Supply Natural Cheese Dog Treats
- Third best: Nylabone Edibles Natural Nubz Chicken Flavor Dog Chew
- Recommended: SmartBones Skin & Coat Care Chicken Chews Dog Treats
- Recommended: Ferrera Farms Pig Ear Dog Treats
- Recommended: Bones & Chews Bully Stick 6" Dog Treats