Breed Advisor only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
What is the Best Harness for Bulldog?
- Top Pick: Julius-K9 IDC Powerharness Nylon Reflective No Pull Dog Harness
- Second best: HDP Big Dog No Pull Dog Harness
- Third best: Kurgo Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength Crash Tested Smart Car Dog Harness
- Recommended: Chai’s Choice Premium Outdoor Adventure 3M Polyester Reflective Front Clip Dog Harness
- Recommended: Kurgo Journey Air Polyester Reflective No Pull Dog Harness
Comparing the Best Harness for Bulldog
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Harnesses for Bulldogs
Julius-K9 IDC Powerharness Nylon Reflective No Pull Dog Harness review
- Best overall
- Very strong and durable
- Handle for extra control
If you want the best Bulldog harness, the Julius-K9 IDC Powerharness Nylon Reflective No Pull Dog Harness should be at the top of your list. The wide chest strap is adjustable and strong to fit around your Bulldog’s wide chest. It’s made with very durable, sturdy materials and features break-resistant, heavy-duty buckles.
I loved that this harness was made with Eco-Tex inner liner, making it comfortable and breathable for your pup. The D-ring is strong and durable to stand up to your Bulldog’s power, and the handle offers extra control when needed. It’s water-repellent and even has a reflective chest strap so you’re ready for any adventure together.
- Many Bulldog owners stated that this was the perfect Bulldog harness, mentioning the perfect fit, control, and comfort for their dog
- Most owners found that this harness was extremely durable and strong, with some stating it stands up to strong breeds and others saying it holds up to wear and tear over time
- Harness doesn’t put pressure on the neck, which many owners liked especially for those with delicate necks or breathing issues
- Many felt this harness was very comfortable for their dog, in particular mentioning the padding
- Owners liked the control this harness gave them even with strong breeds, large breeds, and breeds with lots of energy, with owners mentioning the handle in particular
- Many said they felt this harness looked smart and stylish on their dog
- Owners generally found this harness was easy to take on and off their dog
- Not designed to stand up to tough chewing, with some owners saying their dog chewed through this harness when left unsupervised
- Some owners of strong dogs who pull a lot found this harness didn’t give them enough control or stop their dog pulling
- Some found it difficult to get the right size of this harness for their dog, with some saying the harness was also hard to adjust
- Some owners found their dog could back out of this harness and escape, which was a safety concern
- Some owners experienced breakage after a period of use, in particular mentioning the ring on the back of the harness breaking off with strong pullers
HDP Big Dog No Pull Dog Harness review
- Best harness with adjustable chest strap
- Adjusts to fit your dog
- Handle for extra control
The HDP Big Dog No Pull Dog Harness is an excellent option, with a wide chest strap to distribute the weight across your dog’s chest and shoulders when they’re walking. The front strap is adjustable so you can get the exact right fit for your Bulldog. This harness is durable and sturdy to stand up to wear and tear.
I liked the handle on the back of the harness for additional control. The harness is padded to ensure your dog’s comfort and the shape of the harness ensures there’s no ‘choking’, even if they pull a lot.
- Many said that this harness was very strong and secure for large, strong breeds
- Most owners said this harness was easy and quick to put on and take off
- Owners liked the control this harness gave them, with some saying it reduced pulling and other negative behaviors
- Many appreciated the handle on top of the harness, saying it gave extra control
- Harness is highly durable, with many owners saying it stood up to all sorts of adventures, weather, and wear and tear
- Owners liked that the harness was adjustable so they could get the right fit for their pup, unlike with other harnesses they’d tried
- Doesn’t put pressure on the dog’s neck, which most owners appreciated saying it was more comfortable and safer for their dog
- Some found that the adjustable front strap didn’t stay in place on walks and would come loose
- Some owners found this harness didn’t give them enough control or prevent pulling
- Some experienced breakage after a short period of use and were unhappy with their purchase, in particular mentioning the D-ring
- Some found the sizing confusing and couldn’t get the right fit for their dog
- Not designed to stand up to chewing, with some owners finding their dog could chew through this harness
Kurgo Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength Crash Tested Smart Car Dog Harness review
- Best car harness
- Crash tested for safety
- Extremely strong
The Kurgo Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength Crash Tested Smart Car Dog Harness is a great option to keep your dog safe while you’re travelling in the car. You can adjust the harness at 5 different points to ensure it fits your dog perfectly. The chest pad reduces any strain on your dog’s throat to make sure your pup is safe and comfortable.
The construction of the harness is based on engineering for harnesses used by rock climbers and linesmen, making it extremely strong and secure. I loved that this harness had been crash tested to ensure your pup’s safety. It’s compatible with any vehicle and can even be used for walks when you get to your destination.
- Most owners felt this harness kept their dog secured in the car and increased safety on car journeys
- Owners liked how adjustable the harness was, feeling they could get a great fit for their dog unlike with other harnesses
- Many liked how strong and secure the harness was, preventing their dog from moving around too much on car journeys
- Owners liked that the harness could be used both in the car and on walks, finding it convenient and time saving
- Most owners felt that this harness was comfortable for their dog to wear, with some saying their dog fell asleep in the car while wearing this harness
- Many found that this harness gave plenty of control on walks, in particular mentioning the chest ring which helped to redirect pulling and other negative behavior
- Some found this harness hard to adjust and fit to their dog, especially with dogs who were ‘wriggly’ or mischievous
- Since the harness is so strong and durable, it’s also quite heavy which some owners of smaller dogs felt was too heavy for their pup
- Some found the size guide misleading and struggled to adjust the harness to fit their dog
- Not designed to stand up to chewing, with some dogs being able to chew through this harness when left unsupervised
- Some felt this harness was too restrictive, stating it didn’t let their dog move around enough in the car
Chai’s Choice Premium Outdoor Adventure 3M Polyester Reflective Front Clip Dog Harness review
- Best no-pull harness
- Front O-ring for control
- Reflective mesh
If your Bulldog is a puller on walks (as many are), the Chai’s Choice Premium Outdoor Adventure 3M Polyester Reflective Front Clip Dog Harness could be a great option for you. The cushioned, mesh padding throughout ensures your dog is comfortable and their weight is distributed evenly even if they’re pulling. The O-ring on the chest plate allows you to redirect their pulling easily on walks.
The handle on top allows extra control when you need it. This harness is adjustable so you can find the right fit for your pooch. I loved that this harness came in a wide variety of colors and even had reflective material throughout for visibility at night.
- Most owners found that this harness gave them more control and help to reduce negative behaviours like pulling on walks, in particular highlighting the front ring
- Owners liked that handle feeling it gave them control, with some owners of older dogs or dogs with reduced mobility stating it helped them to get their dog into the car or over obstacles
- Owners liked the reflective elements of this harness, stating it was easy to keep track of their dog in the dark and they felt it made night-time walks safer
- Many said they appreciated the adjustable element of this harness, allowing them to get the right fit for their pup
- Many stated they liked the wide range of colours available and felt the harness was stylish for their dog
- Most owners stated the harness was very durable, with some saying it had lasted months or years
- Several owners found the size guide misleading, with most saying the harness ran small
- Some felt that this harness wasn’t as high-quality as they expected and were disappointed with their purchase
- Some found it difficult to get the harness on and off their dog, and to adjust it to fit their dog correctly
- Some found the harness was too stiff and bulky for their smaller breed dogs
- Some found the harness straps came loose and didn’t stay adjusted when their dog pulled, especially with strong dogs
- Some owners experienced breakage after a period of regular use
Kurgo Journey Air Polyester Reflective No Pull Dog Harness review
- Best hiking harness
- Breathable for comfort
- Reflective trim for visibility
If your Bulldog enjoys hiking and outdoor adventures, the Kurgo Journey Air Polyester Reflective No Pull Dog Harness is a fantastic choice. The breathable material and reflective trim are designed to keep active dogs safe and comfortable. The chest plate reduces strain on your dog’s neck and the front ring allows for redirection and control.
This harness is adjustable at 4 points to allow you to get the right fit for your best pal. I liked that the sturdy handle allowed for extra control, as well as letting you help your dog over any obstacles or tough terrain on your adventures. This harness is designed to be durable and strong to stand up to wear over time.
- Many owners found that this harness was very strong and durable, standing up to wear well
- Owners generally found this harness gave them plenty of control, with some saying it helped to stop bad behaviours like pulling
- Owners liked that the harness was well padded, feeling it prevented rubbing and was comfortable for their dog
- Owners of dogs with large chests, including Bulldogs, found this harness adjusted to fit their dog well unlike other harnesses they’d tried
- Most owners appreciated the handle on the back of the harness, feeling it offered extra control and allowed them to help their dog when needed
- Many said they liked that the harness was reflective, making walks in the dark or low light safer
- Some owners found the size guide misleading and ended up with the wrong size for their dog
- Some owners mentioned that the adjustable elements were difficult to use and didn’t always stay in place
- Some experienced breakage after a short period of use, in particular mentioning the clasps
- Some found the harness wasn’t as well made or high-quality as they had expected
Things to Look for in a Harness for a Bulldog
When you’re looking for the best harness for English Bulldogs, it’s a good idea to look for the following:
Finding a harness that fits your dog correctly is crucial to prevent them escaping, to give you the control you need, and to ensure your pup is comfortable. The Bulldogs proportions can make it hard to find a harness that fits them correctly. Do your research, check reviews, and ensure you measure your pup carefully.
Adjustable Chest/Neck Strap
Choosing with a harness with an adjustable neck or chest strap (or both) can help you to find the exact right fit for your dog’s build.
Strong and Durable
Bulldogs are strong, powerful, and often stubborn! So, a harness that’s strong and durable is crucial to stand up to your dog’s strength.
A harness made from high-quality materials is more likely to last longer, be stronger, and be more comfortable for your dog.
Comfortable for Your Dog
As well at the right fit and high-quality materials, look for features such as padding and breathability to ensure your dog’s comfort. A harness which distributes the weight over their chest rather than their neck will be more comfortable and safer.
As we mentioned earlier, Bulldogs can be quite strong-willed, and some can be prone to pulling on the lead. A no-pull harness can help you to control them and make walks more pleasant for both of you. Some no-pull harnesses have a front ring so you can redirect your dog’s attention easily.
Some harnesses will have additional features, such as a handle, reflective material, or water-resistant material. Keep an eye out for these features if you think they would be useful for you.
Last but never least, we want our dogs to look at their best. Consider the type of material, the shape of the harness, and the colours offered so you can pick something that suits your preferences.
Measuring Your Bulldog for a Harness
Measuring your dog correctly for their harness is essential to ensure a comfortable, safe fit. Read the size guide for each harness and measure your pup carefully.
When you’re measuring your dog’s chest, always measure the widest part (it helps to imagine where the harness would sit). You can add on an inch or two just to ensure it’s not too tight and to allow for any future weight gain.
It’s unlikely your dog is going to stand perfectly still when you’re measuring them, so I always like to measure 2 or 3 times then take an average. It’s also a good idea to check out the reviews on the harness you’re considering to see if it runs true to size.
Collar Versus Harness for Your Bulldog
In general, a harness is a safer, more practical option for your Bulldog. Bulldogs are a brachycephalic breed, which means they have short faces which can lead to respiratory issues. Using a harness rather than a collar ensures you aren’t putting too much pressure on their neck, which could worsen breathing issues.
Since Bulldogs are strong and wilful, they might pull quite a bit on the lead. A harness allows you to have plenty of control and distributes their weight evenly, rather than them potentially ‘choking’ on a collar.
Harnesses are more comfortable for your Bulldog. Many have handles, which also allow you to give your dog some assistance where needed. Since Bulldogs are prone to weight and joint issues, this is a particularly useful option.
Bulldog Harness FAQ
Is a harness good for a Bulldog?
Yes, harnesses are generally safer and more comfortable for a Bulldog than a collar.
Whether you’re going for a slow stroll around the block, or going on a hike, the right harness is key. It keeps your dog safe and comfortable, while allowing you plenty of control on your adventures together.