As owners, we want our dogs to be comfortable and safe on walks, while also looking their best. Leather collars are both stylish and practical, making a great choice for any dog. With lots of options available, you’re bound to find something suitable for your stylish pooch. We’ll take a look at 5 of the best leather dog collars, comparing leather quality, breed suitability, price, and comfort.
The Best Leather Dog Collars
More Detailed Leather Dog Collar Reviews
Soft Touch Collars Leather Two-Tone Padded Dog Collar review
- Best padded leather collar
- High-quality leather with padded interior
- Comfortable and stylish for all breeds
The Soft Touch Collars Leather Two-Tone Padded Dog Collar is 1 of the best leather dog collars on the market, providing luxurious comfort and style. The collar is made with extremely high-quality, full-grain leather which is handmade and handstitched. The inside of the collar is lined with sheepskin leather to provide the ultimate comfort for your pup and prevent rubbing.
Solid brass hardware is treated to prevent rust, with the whole collar being very durable. I enjoyed the 2-tone finish to the collar, as well as the numerous color choices which I felt were very stylish for my dogs.
The collar comes in a range of sizes to suit all breeds. While this collar is a bit more expensive than other options, I feel that its quality makes it well worth the price.
- Many said the collar was extremely high-quality, with quality leather and craftsmanship
- Several owners said they felt the collar was excellent value for money
- Very stylish, with many owners saying they felt their dog looked good in the collar
- Owners liked the padding in the collar, saying they felt it was particularly comfortable for their dog
- Very durable, with owners saying it stood up to wear, in some cases even when their dog went swimming
- Gentle on dog’s skin, with some saying their dog who usually has sensitive skin wasn’t irritated by this collar
- Some found the collar broke easily, which they were frustrated about
- Middle prong is longer than the buckle itself, with some owners stating that the buckle design needed improvement
- Some found that the padding made the collar too chunky for their dog’s neck
- Some felt that the size guide was misleading, ending up with the wrong sized collar for their dog and having to return it
CollarDirect Rolled Leather Dog Collar review
- Best rolled leather collar
- High-quality leather around nylon cord
- Comfortable and durable
If you’re looking for the best rolled leather dog collar, then the CollarDirect Rolled Leather Dog Collar is the 1 for you. This collar is made from extra soft, high-quality leather that is rolled to create luxury levels of comfort even for sensitive skin and those prone to matting. An internal nylon cord makes this collar durable and strong.
I found this collar was great for my Pomeranian, as her long hair (which often gets caught and matted with other collars) remained unmatted. I felt it was very comfortable for her and looked very smart. The collar is available in a range of sizes to suit all breeds and is even low in price.
- High-quality, with many owners saying they felt the collar was well made
- Owners enjoyed the range of colors and felt the collar was stylish
- Rolled leather means it doesn’t tangle or mat dog’s fur, which many owners found useful
- Many said they felt this was a very affordable option and was great value given the quality
- Some said the leather was soft and they felt the collar was comfortable for their dog
- Some felt that the collar wasn’t durable or strong enough for bigger dogs
- Some found the sizing guide was inaccurate, struggling to find the correct size for their dog
- Some felt the collar was not as high-quality as they expected
- Some owners found the collar broke easily with regular use on walks, with several saying the collar is better for attaching tags rather than practical use
Dogline Round Soft Leather Dog Collar, Beige, 22-25 in, 1/2-in review
- Best for large and giant breeds
- Strong, durable, and secure
- High-quality leather with internal nylon cord
The Dogline Round Soft Leather Dog Collar is 1 of the best round leather dog collars. This size is suitable for large and giant breeds. Made from soft, premium European leather surrounding an internal nylon cord, this collar is the epitome of comfort and durability.
I found that the metal buckle was sturdy and made it easy to adjust the collar, while the collar itself was great quality. This collar comes at a very reasonable price and in my opinion, is stylish, sturdy, and secure for large breeds.
- Soft, high-quality leather with many saying they felt this collar was comfortable for their dog
- Doesn’t tangle or matt hair, which is very useful for dogs with long or thick hair
- Owners enjoyed the stylish look of the collar on their dog
- Lightweight and thinner than some other leather collars, which some owners felt was more comfortable and practical for their dog
- Several owners said they liked the color selection, mentioning that the colors were more vibrant than they expected which they enjoyed
- Some found the layers of leather separated, leaving the collar broken
- Some felt this collar wasn’t as high-quality as they had hoped
- Several owners said this collar stretched easily, making it too big for their dog over time
- Not as durable as some other collars, with some owners saying their dog chewed through it easily or it broke with regular use
- Some said they felt this collar wasn’t sturdy enough for their big breed dog
OmniPet Signature Leather Crystal Dog Collar review
- Best for small breeds
- Stylish and comfortable
- Available in a range of small sizes
The OmniPet Signature Leather Crystal Dog Collar is an excellent, super stylish option for toy and small breeds. There is a range of small sizes available so you can find the perfect fit for your pup. The 2-ply leather is double stitched, which I found provided both comfort and durability.
The collar is beautifully decorated with sparkly jewels and comes in a range of colors for style. I found this collar very cute for my small breed dogs, and it even comes at a great low price.
- Owners enjoyed the sparkly jewels, feeling the collar was very stylish for their small dog
- High-quality leather, with the jewels set into the collar securely making the collar durable
- Some owners said the collar was practical as well as cute, with rings that made attaching the lead and dog’s tags easy
- Some said they felt the collar was value for money, with the price being very reasonable
- Several said that this collar lasted a long time without fading or breaking, which they were very pleased about
- Many said they felt the collar was comfortable for their dog
- Some felt the size guide wasn’t accurate, making it difficult to get the right size for their dog
- After a period of regular wear, some owners found the jewels dulled, making the collar less sparkly
- Some said the collar wasn’t as long-wearing as expected and they felt it wasn’t good quality
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 2 October, 2022
Things to Look for in a Leather Dog Collar
When you’re shopping for a leather collar, keep the following in mind to help you make the best choice for your stylish furbaby:
There is a wide range of leather types available, but in general choosing genuine, high-quality leather is key. This will ensure that the collar lasts longer, is more comfortable for your pup, and is the best quality possible.
Correct Fit for Your Dog
Getting a collar that fits correctly ensures your dog is both comfortable and safe. Look at the size guides and measure your dog’s neck carefully. A collar should be tight enough that your dog can’t wiggle out of it, yet loose enough that you can fit 2 fingers between the collar and their neck.
Most collars will be adjustable which is handy as it allows you to get the exact right fit for your dog.
Correct Collar Style for Your Dog
There are lots of choices when it comes to the style of collar you can choose. Some collars will be wider, which are great for dogs with long, thin necks. Martingale collars tighten when your dog pulls, which are handy for control as well as preventing your dog from escaping their collar.
Some collars might be thin, designed more for style and displaying your dog’s tags than for heavy-duty use. Take your time to think about what the function of the collar will be and what will suit your dog best so you can make the right choice for your needs.
Comfort for Your Dog
Choosing a collar of the right style and size will ensure comfort for your dog, but you can also look for additional features such as padding or rolled leather to prevent rubbing.
Collars aren’t just for practical use. Many owners want their dog to look as stylish as possible. Leather collars are the epitome of style and will often come in a variety of colors, textures, and finishes to allow you to pick the style that suits you and your dog best.
Benefits of a Leather Collar
There are plenty of benefits of choosing a leather collar over other materials. Leather is a natural material, which makes it more eco-friendly, higher quality, and more breathable than other collar materials. Leather tends to be gentler on your dog’s skin, which is particularly useful for dogs with sensitive skin or allergies.
Rolled leather collars prevent matting and rubbing which can occur with other collar types, making them perfect for dogs with long hair or those with sensitive skin. Leather is more durable and often wears better than other materials, making it great for dogs who spend a lot of time outdoors. Leather becomes more supple and comfortable the more your dog wears it.
Leather collars are even easier to grip, not becoming slippery even in bad weather. Often working dogs wear leather collars because of their durability and practicality. Finally, many owners feel that leather collars are the most stylish option for their dog, allowing them to feel their best pal is looking good and is treated to the best.
Collar Safety Advice
Always ensure your dog’s collar fits correctly for their safety and comfort. It’s safer to remove your dog’s collar when they are in a crate or pen, or during play, to prevent any safety hazards. Never pull hard on your dog’s lead when they’re wearing a collar, as this can hurt their neck.
Leather Collar FAQ
Are leather collars good for dogs?
Yes, leather collars have many benefits for dogs and can be worth the investment.
Should you take your dog’s collar off at night?
Yes, ideally you should take your dog’s collar off at night as it’s safer and more comfortable.
A leather collar has so many benefits, as well as being extremely stylish for your dog. With many styles of leather collar available, you’re bound to find something that is practical and looks good on your dog.
What is the Best Leather Dog Collar?
- Top Pick: Soft Touch Collars Leather Two-Tone Padded Dog Collar
- Second best: CollarDirect Rolled Leather Dog Collar
- Third best: Dogline Round Soft Leather Dog Collar, Beige, 22-25 in, 1/2-in
- Recommended: OmniPet Signature Leather Crystal Dog Collar
- Recommended: GoTags Personalized Leather Dog Collar