Walking your dog at night is a necessary part of being a dog owner, but without the right equipment low visibility can be a safety hazard. LED dog collars light up your pup, allowing you (and others) to keep track of them. You can have peace of mind knowing your dog is safe on night-time adventures together. Together we’ll look at 5 of the best LED dog collars, comparing visibility, running time, power type, durability, and strength.
The Best LED Dog Collars
More Detailed LED Dog Collar Reviews
Nite Ize NiteHowl LED Safety Necklace Dog Collar review
- Best slip-on collar
- 360 visibility
- 60 hours battery life
If you’re on the hunt for the best waterproof LED dog collar, then the Nite Ize NiteHowl LED Safety Necklace Dog Collar is an excellent choice. 2 bright colorful LEDs inside the collar that can be seen from every angle ensure maximum visibility. You have the choice to switch between 2 modes: glow and flash, further enhancing visibility.
The collar slips over your dog’s head easily and has customizable sizing so you can fit it to your dog’s neck perfectly. It’s not designed to be used as a collar to attach a leash, but rather as an addition to your usual collar or harness for nightly walks. The collar is durable and water-resistant, designed to last and stand-up walks in all weathers.
This collar runs on replaceable batteries, with each battery change giving you a running time of up to 60 hours. I found these collars were very bright and I could see my dogs from quite a distance away. I also found the color choice handy, as I could have a different color for each of my 3 dogs, so it was easy to keep track of where each individual was when they were off lead at night.
- Easy to fit and use, with owners saying they found the set-up simple
- Customizable fit, with many owners saying it fit their dogs of all breeds from toy to large breeds
- Many owners said this collar made their dogs very visible from a distance, which they felt made them safer on walks and when out in the garden in the dark
- Some said this collar gave them peace of mind when crossing the road at night, as cars could see them clearly
- Owners said the collar slid easily over their dog’s head and stayed on, even during play or when their dog was running around off lead
- Several owners said they felt this collar was comfortable for their dog and their dog didn’t mind wearing it
- Some found the batteries hard to replace, stating that the battery compartment was hard to open and close
- Some found that the closure wasn’t secure enough, saying it kept coming open and falling off their dog
- Not rechargeable, which some owners said they would prefer as the battery ran out after a couple of months
- Some owners found that their dog easily chewed up the collar when left unsupervised
- Some felt that the collar was not as good quality as they would have expected
Illumiseen LED USB Rechargeable Nylon Dog Collar review
- Best for attaching a leash
- 3 modes and visibility from all angles
- Strong and durable
The Illumiseen LED USB Rechargeable Nylon Dog Collar is 1 of the best LED dog collars, with 2 light-up strips going all the way around the collar for visibility at every angle. You can choose between 3 modes, which I found gives you flexibility depending on how dark it is and how much visibility you need.
The collar runs on a rechargeable battery which provides 5 hours of running time for 1 hour of charging. If you want a reflective collar that you can attach a leash to, this is a good choice. The collar is designed to be durable and sturdy for most dogs who don’t pull too hard.
- Many owners said this collar is bright and visible, making it great for keeping track of their dog in the dark both on walks and in the garden
- Owners liked that the collar was rechargeable, stating they felt it was more practical than batteries and better value for money
- High-quality and durable, with many owners saying the collar was much better quality than others they have tried
- Some stated that they liked the range of sizes, as they could find a collar that was the right fit for their dog
- Some stated that the collar was sturdier than they expected, even when using it to walk their big breed dog
- Owners said that the collar was water-resistant, even when their dog jumped into a puddle or a river
- Some owners found that after a period of regular use, the collar would no longer charge
- Some owners found that the size guide for the collar was slightly misleading, leaving them with a collar that didn’t quite fit their dog
- Some found that after a period of use the light would no longer stay on for long, or wouldn’t turn on or off
- Some felt that the collar wasn’t very sturdy and wouldn’t stand up to wear or changes in weather
Nite Ize NiteHowl LED Rechargeable Safety Necklace Dog Collar, 12 to 27-in neck, 3/10-in wide review
- Best rechargeable collar
- Each charge lasts 5.5 hours
- 360 visibility with color choice
The Nite Ize NiteHowl LED Rechargeable Safety Necklace Dog Collar is a fantastic option, made from flexible polymer to be durable and weather resistant. The collar features customizable sizing so you can fit it to your dog’s neck perfectly which I found easy to use and very handy. It’s rechargeable, providing up to 5 and a half hours of illumination after each charge.
Bright LED lights provide illumination from all angles, with the ability to choose between 3 different colors or a flowing blend of colors at the touch of a button. I found this color option really pretty and fun, as well as making my dog stand out in the dark. The collar is designed to be slipped over your dog’s head and used as an addition to their regular collar or harness.
- The ability to change the collars color at the push of a button is handy for increasing visibility, and for keeping track of multiple dogs
- Many said that these collars were very visible and allowed them to keep track of their dog in the dark
- Several owners stated that the collar was easy to adjust to fit their dog and easy to slip on
- Rechargeable, which owners felt was handy and made the collar more long-lasting
- Owners generally felt this collar was good value for money
- Some said the collar being visible for all angles was extremely helpful and made it more visible than many other similar collars
- Locking mechanism not as strong as it could be, with some owners saying the collar kept coming apart and falling off their dog
- Some found that the collar didn’t stay lit as long as they hoped, meaning they had to charge it more frequently than they would have expected
- The collar is charged with a micro-USB cable which isn’t included, which some owners found very frustrating
- Some owners found that the collar stopped working or charging after a period of use
Blazin' Safety LED USB Rechargeable Nylon Dog Collar review
- Best for long running time
- Running time up to 8 hours
- Visible from all angles
If you’re looking for a LED collar with a long-running time, the Blazin’ Safety LED USB Rechargeable Nylon Dog Collar is a great option. It’s rechargeable and lasts for up to 8 hours with each full charge! The LED strip is visible from all angles and can be set to 3 different modes to enhance visibility.
The collar is made from durable nylon and is designed to stand up to most weather conditions. You can attach a lead to this collar for walks. I found the collar is strong enough for most dogs who don’t pull too much when on walks.
- Long running time is handy, with some owners saying they were impressed by how little they needed to charge the collar
- Very bright and visible, allowing owners to keep track of their dogs in the dark and feeling it kept them safer on walks
- Owners liked that the collar is rechargeable, feeling that it would last a long time, is easier than changing batteries, and makes the collar good value
- Durable and strong, with some owners saying it stands up to weather changes and playtime
- Several owners said they felt the size options of this collar were varied enough that they could find the right size for their toy or giant breed, even when they have struggled with this previously
- Some owners found that the on/off button broke after a few months of regular use
- Some found that the collar stopped working or holding a charge after a while
- Some owners found that the size guide was misleading and ended up with the wrong sized collar
- Some stated that the collar was not as durable or weather-resistant as they expected
Nite Ize Nite Dawg LED Dog Collar Cover review
- Best collar cover
- Clips onto dog’s collar
- Very bright with 2 modes
The Nite Ize Nite Dawg LED Dog Collar Cover is an excellent option if you want to make a collar you already own more visible. It simply clips over part of your dog’s collar and has 2 mode settings for visibility. The cover doesn’t provide visibility from all angles but is very bright and visible from up to 1000 feet.
I found that this collar cover is sturdy and weather resistant, designed to stand up to wear on regular walks. It’s powered by a replaceable battery which lasts up to 100 hours depending which mode you use the cover on. I enjoyed the cute pawprint design of this collar cover.
- Many owners stated that the collar cover was very bright and visible, even when it’s very dark and their dog is far away
- Some stated they liked that they didn’t need to buy a separate LED collar
- Easy to use and attach, with owners saying it was quick and simple to put on their dog’s collar
- Some owners stated that the 2 modes were handy
- Many said that this product was durable and stayed on their dog’s collar firmly, even when they were running off lead
- Owners stated the product was lightweight and didn’t make their dog’s collar heavier
- Only 1 color, with some owners wishing there were a choice of colors for variety, as well as for multi-dog households
- Some owners found that the collar cover quickly broke or wouldn’t stay lit up
- The on/off button can be prone to breakage or be difficult to turn on and off
- Some owners found that the collar cover wasn’t weatherproof, and stopped working when it got wet
- Some found that the battery didn’t last long, which they found frustrating
- Some owners found that the cover didn’t fit on their dog’s collar properly
- Not able to see dog from all angles, which some owners found impractical
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 1 December, 2022
Things to Look for in an LED Dog Collar
Keeping the following factors in mind when shopping for an LED collar will help you make the best choice for you and your dog:
Of course, the primary factor is visibility, but there’s more to consider here than you might think. Firstly, you want to think about how bright the collar is when it’s lit up. Look at how many LED lights are on the collar and where they are placed, for example, whether many small LED lights are used spaced apart, or whether they are placed closer together to create a strip of light.
Check whether the description mentions a maximum distance for visibility and check out the reviews as this will give you an idea of brightness. You should also consider which angles you’ll be able to see your dog from (collars with lights all the way around are often the safest option).
Consider how many light modes the collar offers: some will have multiple modes so you can shift between a steady glow, a slow flash, and a quick flash for example. Often flashing modes provide the most visibility in darkness, while a steady glow may be more suited for low light.
Choosing a collar made from high-quality materials means it’s more likely to last longer, be comfortable for your dog, and be more durable. The type of material can also affect how easy the collar is to clean and whether it will stand up to wet weather.
Correct Size for Your Dog
To ensure your dog’s safety and comfort, it’s crucial you choose a collar that is the right size. Some reflective collars come in a range of sizes, while others are a customizable fit that you alter at home to fit your dog. Check the product description and the size guide.
Rechargeable or Battery Powered
LED collars can either be rechargeable or battery powered. Some owners prefer rechargeable collars as they feel they last longer and are better value for money. This is down to your preference as excellent collars can be found in both styles.
If you choose a battery-powered collar, consider what type of batteries are used and how easy they are to buy and replace when needed.
Check to see how long the collar will stay lit without charging or changing the batteries. Some collars have a longer running time than others, which may be more suitable if you go on long walks at night or will be using the collar daily.
LED collars tend to come in a variety of colors. The color you choose is often a matter of preference, however, some owners feel that specific colors are brighter than others. If you have a multi-dog household choosing a different color for each dog makes it easier to keep track of them in the dark.
Most LED collars will not be completely waterproof; however, they will be weather resistant. Look for a collar that is water or weather resistant if you’re often out walking in wet weather or go on lots of travel adventures.
Whether It Can Be Used to Attach a Lead
Most LED collars are designed as an addition to your dog’s regular collar or harness and aren’t suitable for attaching a lead. However, some collars are more like a traditional collar and have a ring for lead attachment. Be sure to look for this specifically if it’s something you want and check the reviews to see how sturdy the collar is for walking your dog.
Benefits of an LED Collar
LED collars make walks in low light or darkness with your dog much safer by allowing you to keep track of where your pup is. This is particularly useful if they are off lead. LED collars also ensure other people, like those driving cars and other dog walkers, can see your pup and keep their distance when needed.
If your dog gets lost, an LED collar can help you to find them and get them home quickly. LED collars even gently light the way on walks, letting you both see where you’re going and making scooping up your dog’s poop in the dark easier.
Reflective vs LED Collars
Another option for visibility in the dark are reflective collars, which reflect light from any light source. Torches or car headlights will reflect, ensuring people can see your dog. In general, reflective collars are great for use in your garden or short on-leash walks.
However, if your dog is often off lead on hikes in the dark a reflective collar might not be enough. If your dog is far away from you, you might not be able to tell where they are to shine your torch on their reflective collar. If they’re exploring in amongst trees for example, you might not be able to aim your torch at them to catch the reflective elements of the collar.
LED collars allow you to always see where your dog is, even when they’re exploring off the trail. LED collars are also brighter and more easily seen by others.
LED collars do have cons compared to reflective collars however: they require regular charging or changing of batteries and could potentially run out on a walk. Meanwhile, reflective collars don’t require any power and therefore, don’t risk running out on walks. Which you choose is a matter of preference and your lifestyle.
Collar Safety Advice
Always choose a collar that is the right size for your dog to ensure their safety and comfort. Never leave an LED collar on your dog during play or when they’re resting at home: they’re designed for use on walks only. Don’t leave your dog unsupervised with an LED collar, as if they chew the collar, it could be a safety hazard.
Are LED collars safe for dogs?
Yes, when used correctly LED collars are designed to be safe for dogs. If your dog is particularly sensitive to light or you’ve never tried an LED collar before, it’s a good idea to get 1 with adjustable brightness so you can figure out what works best for them.
An LED collar helps to ensure you and your dog stay safe in the dark. You can relax and enjoy walks together, whether it’s an early morning stroll or a late-night adventure.
What is the Best LED Dog Collar?
- Top Pick: Nite Ize NiteHowl LED Safety Necklace Dog Collar
- Second best: Illumiseen LED USB Rechargeable Nylon Dog Collar
- Third best: Nite Ize NiteHowl LED Rechargeable Safety Necklace Dog Collar, 12 to 27-in neck, 3/10-in wide
- Recommended: Blazin' Safety LED USB Rechargeable Nylon Dog Collar
- Recommended: Nite Ize Nite Dawg LED Dog Collar Cover