Playing with your dog is 1 of the best things about being a dog owner. Seeing them completely engaged, tail wagging, while they interact with you is a joy. There are so many toys on the market for your best friend, with motorized dog toys becoming increasingly popular, and for good reason! They provide even more stimulation during playtime, getting that tail wagging even faster.
The Best Motorized Dog Toys
More Detailed Motorized Dog Toy Reviews
Wobble Wag Giggle Ball Dog Toy review
- Best no-battery option
- Tubes inside create noise
- Great for most breeds
The Wobble Wag Giggle Ball Dog Toy is one of the best motorized dog toys on the market. When your dog moves it around, tubes inside the ball let out various fun and engaging sounds designed to mimic human joy. Best of all, there are no batteries required making it safer and letting your dog play for as long as they like.
I found that the toy’s unique movement and exciting colors kept my dog interested. The high quality, durable materials make this toy great for average chewers of most breeds. At a low price, this toy is a great all-rounder!
- Owners found that the interactive features captured their dog’s attention, providing mental and physical stimulation
- Most owners found the toy was suitable for light to average chewers, particularly with supervised play
- Long battery life, allowing dogs to play for longer periods
- Some owners found that dogs with sensory issues (such as those who are hard of hearing or blind) were able to enjoy this toy due to its loud, entertaining noises
- Owners said the toy was great for solo play as well as interactive play between owner and dog
- Some owners found their dog didn’t like the ball or found it too large to play with
- Not designed for strong chewers, as they can easily destroy the ball which can be a safety hazard
- Some owners stated that the toy was not as high-quality as they had expected
- Hard texture makes the toy unsuitable for indoor games of fetch or rough play, as owners found it can damage some flooring
Hyper Pet Doggie Tail Interactive Dog Toy review
- Best plush motorized toy
- Furry, soft tail
- Moves and makes noise
The Hyper Pet Doggie Tail Interactive Dog Toy is a fantastic option for dogs who enjoy a plush toy. It’s absolutely packed with fun features, from wiggling and vibrating movements to squeaking and barking sounds. I found this toy kept my dog entertained for hours, encouraging both solo play as well as interactive play with me.
This toy is suitable for all sizes and breeds of dog. Being plush, it’s slightly less durable than other options, but replacement covers are available to purchase when needed. The toy is a very affordable price.
This interactive tail needs 3 AAA batteries. It features an automatic sleep function, turning the toy off when it’s not in use to extend battery life.
- Some owners said the interactive features kept their dog busy for hours, both during solo play and when playing with them
- Very reasonably priced, especially when compared with other electronic toys
- Many owners said this was their dogs favorite toy, with their dog regularly choosing this toy over others
- Some said the toys exciting features helped their dog to be more active during play
- Some owners found that this toy engaged their dog in play when they typically don’t find toys interesting
- Some owners found that the toy didn’t last very long, being easily broken and not particularly durable
- Some said that the toy didn’t move around as much as they expected, which they found disappointing
- Not suitable for aggressive play or strong chewers, as the toy is plush and not designed to be chewed
- Some owners found that this toy was noisy, which they found disruptive
iFetch Mini Automatic Ball Launcher Dog Toy review
- Best luxury option
- High price but worth the cost
- Great for independent play
The iFetch Mini Automatic Ball Launcher Dog Toy is one of the best motorized dog toys on the market. It automatically launches the corresponding ball for your dog to fetch. Once they learn how to drop it back into the toy, the game can keep going for hours.
This toy is designed for small to medium breed dogs. It’s a fantastic way to keep your dog both mentally and physically stimulated when you’re busy. It can be plugged in or used with batteries, which in my experience is very handy.
The launcher is made from sturdy, high-quality plastic, although it isn’t designed to be chewed. While this is a luxury, pricey option, it can be well worth treating your dog if they love fetch, need some extra exercise, and you are often otherwise occupied.
- Some owners said that this was their dogs favorite toy and that they would recommend it
- Varying distances of ball launching are handy for using the ball in different environments, such as shorter distances inside and longer distances outside
- Many owners said that once their dog got the hang of the toy, it kept them entertained for long periods
- Encourages solo play which gives owners a break, while still mentally and physically stimulating your dog
- Some owners said it encouraged their dog to get more exercise
- Some owners found that the toy was not as durable as they expected, which they were disappointed about given the price
- Some found that the ball didn’t launch as far as they expected
- Not suitable for dogs who are prone to chewing or digging at toys
- Some said the balls became fuzzy quickly, which made them harder to load into the launcher
Smart Pet Love Snuggle Puppy Behavioral Aid Dog Toy review
- Best option for puppies
- Mimics warmth and heartbeat of mother
- Soothing and calming
The Smart Pet Love Snuggle Puppy Behavioral Aid Dog Toy is one of the best battery-operated toys for puppies. This cleverly designed toy is designed to soothe and comfort puppies, particularly when they’re first settling into their new home or learning to sleep through the night. It comes in a few cuddly, soft designs for your pup to snuggle up to.
The toy includes a heart that pulses, mimicking their mother’s heartbeat to calm them which from my experience is very useful when you first bring your puppy home. It also includes a heat pack to create warmth, like the body of their mum. The toy is durable and washable but not designed for heavy chewing.
The heart inside the toy requires AAA batteries, which power the toy for up to two weeks of 24/7 use. This snuggle puppy is a mid-range price and, in my opinion, is well worth the money if you have a puppy.
- Many owners said that the toy helped to comfort their puppy and soothed them to sleep through the night
- Owners said the toy was great value for money, making the puppy stage much easier
- Some said it’s their dogs favorite toy, even as they’ve gotten older
- Some experienced owners said that this toy was a game changer when first settling a puppy or anxious rescue dog into the home
- When used during crate training, owners found it helped their puppy to learn that the crate was a positive, calming place
- Some owners felt the heartbeat was not as realistic as they expected
- Not designed for chewing, which can be problematic if you want to leave your pup sleeping with the toy overnight
- Some stated that the toy was not as high-quality as they expected for the price
Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff LED Strobe Ball Tough Dog Chew Toy review
- Best for dog and owner interaction
- Perfect for games of fetch
- Flashes, blinks, and glows in the dark
The Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff LED Strobe Ball Tough Dog Chew Toy is a brilliant option for interactive play. An internal multi-colored LED light makes the ball blink and flash when it’s thrown or when it bounces. This toy makes games of fetch even more exciting!
The ball is made with durable material and the LED light is encased in the center of the ball, making the toy safe for average chewers. The toy even glows in the dark (useful if your dog gets distracted during a game of outdoor fetch at night like mine) and floats.
Although the battery is not replaceable, the ball comes with a battery life of 200 hours, equivalent to an impressive 36,000 throws. Overall, this toy is low cost and great value.
- Most owners felt that this ball was very durable and survived tough chewing
- Some owners said this ball lasted much longer than others they had tried
- Owners said the glow in dark feature helps both dog and owner find the ball outdoors at night
- Light and bounce of the ball mentally and physically stimulates dogs, keeping them engaged in play for longer
- Many owners said this ball was an absolute favorite in their home, for both dog and owner
- Some owners found the LED light was faulty, or became broken quickly
- Some said that their power chewers were able to destroy the ball, ending playtime quicker than they had hoped
- Ball only blinks and flashes when there’s motion, stopping shortly after, which some owners felt made the ball tough to find at night
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 2 December, 2022
Things to Look for in a Motorized Dog Toy
It’s essential to take a few things into account when shopping for a motorized dog toy:
Correct Size for Your Dog
Getting the right size of toy for your dog will ensure they can play with it properly, as well as making sure it’s safe for them.
If the toy is battery powered, it’s a good idea to consider how long the batteries last. The longer they last, the more practical the toy will be.
Ease of Changing Batteries
If a toy’s batteries are replaceable, check the toy’s description to see how easy it is to change the batteries. A good toy will have batteries that are easy to change but are also safely out of your dog’s way during playtime.
Price of Batteries
If the toy is battery powered, buying batteries will be an additional cost, so consider this when you make your choice.
Quality of Materials
Picking a toy with good quality materials means it’s likely to last longer, be safer for your dog, and be more appropriate for the type of play you’re looking for.
Motorized Dog Toy Safety Advice
Most motorized dog toys have an electrical element, whether it’s batteries or a power cable, so safety becomes even more important. Choosing a toy that is well made, hides the batteries well, and which is the right chew strength for your dog is essential. In general, if your dog usually chews through toys easily, it’s vital to supervise playtime with a motorized toy.
Benefits of a Motorized Toy for Your Dog
There are so many wonderful benefits of choosing a motorized toy for your dog, including:
- Exercise: All dogs need exercise, no matter what their size or breed. However, humans often have hectic lives. Using a motorized toy can help your dog to get the exercise they need, alongside walks, of course.
- Mental stimulation: Dogs need mental stimulation and sensory experiences, as well as exercise. Motorized toys engage your dog’s mind and often provide a multi-sensory experience, fulfilling this need.
- Redirecting destructive behaviors: When dogs aren’t occupied, they may become frustrated and ‘act out’. This might include chewing your furniture or barking excessively, for example. Giving them a toy that captures their attention can help to redirect that energy in a healthy way.
- Preventing boredom: Just like us, dogs can get bored. Providing entertainment through a motorized toy can prevent boredom and make life more interesting for your beloved furbaby.
- Promoting good health: More exercise and mental stimulation is great for your dog’s health in general. It can help your dog maintain a healthy weight; keep their bones and joints healthy; reduce the risk of disease, and keep them healthier for longer as they age.
Motorized Dog Toy FAQ
Are motorized dog toys safe?
Yes, in general, motorized dog toys are safe. Buying a good quality toy and knowing your dog well increases safety. With some toys, your dog may need supervision during play.
Can you give your dog a motorized toy when they’re home alone?
Depending on your dog and the toy, yes, you may be able to leave them home alone with a motorized toy. Motorized dog toys can be riskier than other toys when dogs are unsupervised, so ensure you know how your dog plays with toys. If they tend to break toys easily, it’s probably best not to leave them with this type of toy.
It’s always a good idea to test out the toy for a little while you’re with your dog. This lets you see how they play with it and make an informed choice as to whether they would be safe unsupervised.
A motorized dog toy can be a great way to provide your dog with extra stimulation and keep them busy for hours. If you haven’t tried one with your dog yet, I’d recommend it. It can be a delightful experience for both owners and dogs.
What is the Best Motorized Dog Toy?
- Top Pick: Wobble Wag Giggle Ball Dog Toy
- Second best: Hyper Pet Doggie Tail Interactive Dog Toy
- Third best: iFetch Mini Automatic Ball Launcher Dog Toy
- Recommended: Smart Pet Love Snuggle Puppy Behavioral Aid Dog Toy
- Recommended: Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff LED Strobe Ball Tough Dog Chew Toy