Things to Look for in a Motorized Dog Toy
It’s essential to take a few things into account when shopping for a motorized dog toy:
Correct Size for Your Dog
Getting the right size of toy for your dog will ensure they can play with it properly, as well as making sure it’s safe for them.
If the toy is battery powered, it’s a good idea to consider how long the batteries last. The longer they last, the more practical the toy will be.
Ease of Changing Batteries
If a toy’s batteries are replaceable, check the toy’s description to see how easy it is to change the batteries. A good toy will have batteries that are easy to change but are also safely out of your dog’s way during playtime.
Price of Batteries
If the toy is battery powered, buying batteries will be an additional cost, so consider this when you make your choice.
Quality of Materials
Picking a toy with good quality materials means it’s likely to last longer, be safer for your dog, and be more appropriate for the type of play you’re looking for.
Motorized Dog Toy Safety Advice
Most motorized dog toys have an electrical element, whether it’s batteries or a power cable, so safety becomes even more important. Choosing a toy that is well made, hides the batteries well, and which is the right chew strength for your dog is essential. In general, if your dog usually chews through toys easily, it’s vital to supervise playtime with a motorized toy.
Benefits of a Motorized Toy for Your Dog
There are so many wonderful benefits of choosing a motorized toy for your dog, including:
- Exercise: All dogs need exercise, no matter what their size or breed. However, humans often have hectic lives. Using a motorized toy can help your dog to get the exercise they need, alongside walks, of course.
- Mental stimulation: Dogs need mental stimulation and sensory experiences, as well as exercise. Motorized toys engage your dog’s mind and often provide a multi-sensory experience, fulfilling this need.
- Redirecting destructive behaviors: When dogs aren’t occupied, they may become frustrated and ‘act out’. This might include chewing your furniture or barking excessively, for example. Giving them a toy that captures their attention can help to redirect that energy in a healthy way.
- Preventing boredom: Just like us, dogs can get bored. Providing entertainment through a motorized toy can prevent boredom and make life more interesting for your beloved furbaby.
- Promoting good health: More exercise and mental stimulation is great for your dog’s health in general. It can help your dog maintain a healthy weight; keep their bones and joints healthy; reduce the risk of disease, and keep them healthier for longer as they age.
Motorized Dog Toy FAQ
Are motorized dog toys safe?
Yes, in general, motorized dog toys are safe. Buying a good quality toy and knowing your dog well increases safety. With some toys, your dog may need supervision during play.
Can you give your dog a motorized toy when they’re home alone?
Depending on your dog and the toy, yes, you may be able to leave them home alone with a motorized toy. Motorized dog toys can be riskier than other toys when dogs are unsupervised, so ensure you know how your dog plays with toys. If they tend to break toys easily, it’s probably best not to leave them with this type of toy.
It’s always a good idea to test out the toy for a little while you’re with your dog. This lets you see how they play with it and make an informed choice as to whether they would be safe unsupervised.
A motorized dog toy can be a great way to provide your dog with extra stimulation and keep them busy for hours. If you haven’t tried one with your dog yet, I’d recommend it. It can be a delightful experience for both owners and dogs.