Sleep is just as important for our dogs as it is for us. The right amount of restful sleep helps to keep your dog healthy, happy, and full of energy! The bed your dog sleeps on makes a significant difference as to how comfortable they are, and therefore how well they sleep. Whether your dog has additional health issues, or you just want the best quality bed for your pup, an orthopedic dog bed provides luxury comfort and support. Let’s dive in and take a look at 5 of the best orthopedic dog beds, comparing comfort, foam type, breed suitability, and price.
The Best Orthopedic Dog Beds
More Detailed Orthopedic Dog Bed Reviews
FurHaven Quilted Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover review
- Best quilted bed
- Medical grade orthopedic foam
- Suitable for dogs with mobility issues
The FurHaven Quilted Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover is of the best orthopedic dog beds, providing optimal comfort with high-quality materials. The bed is made from medical grade, orthopedic foam combined with a quilted sleeping surface. The foam is egg-crated, meaning it leaves room for airflow and allows it to shape around your dog’s body to provide plenty of support and relieve joint pressure.
The bed has 3 bolstered sides for neck and back support, as well as an open side to make climbing on and off the bed easier for older dogs and those with health issues. I found this helpful for my chihuahua who has joint issues. If you’re searching for the best orthopedic dog bed for arthritis, this is an excellent choice.
The bed is available in a wide range of sizes to suit all breeds and comes at a very reasonable price.
- Many owners said this bed was very comfortable for their dog
- Removable cover makes the bed easy to keep clean and can also be wiped down easily, which owners appreciated
- Many said this bed was very affordable and high-quality compared to other beds of a similar price
- Lightweight enough to move around easily, even with bigger sizes
- Owners stated the bed eased joint pain, making it very comfortable for dogs with joint issues and elderly dogs
- Some owners felt the bed was not as high-quality as they expected
- Some stated that the bed was thinner than they thought it would be
- Some found that the bed didn’t stand up to wear well, experiencing tears in the bed or sagging in the mattress with regular use
- Not designed to stand up to chewing, with some owners finding their dog chewed through the bed when left unsupervised
- Some felt the bed wasn’t supportive enough for their big breed dog
Frisco Plush Orthopedic Pillowtop Dog Bed w/Removable Cover review
- Best pillowtop bed
- Plush, soft pillowtop and orthopedic foam
- Provides joint support and comfort
The Frisco Plush Orthopedic Pillowtop Dog Bed w/Removable Cover is an excellent choice for extra comfort, featuring a soft, plush pillow top as well as orthopedic foam. The foam is convoluted to provide extra joint support, easing joint pain and providing even more comfort. The bed has no raised sides, to make getting on and off the bed easier for dogs with mobility issues.
This bed is available in a range of sizes to suit medium to giant breeds. I found that the plush pillow top offered extra, snuggly comfort for my dogs. It comes at a mid-range price and is great value for money.
- Owners of elderly dogs or those with health issues found that this bed was extremely comfortable for their dog and helped them to relax
- Some owners found that the bed being flat was more comfortable and easier to access for their dog
- Many stated that the bed was high-quality, and they felt it was worth the price
- Easy to clean with a removable, washable cover
- Many said that the bed was exceptionally durable, with some stating it wore much better than other orthopedic beds they had tried
- Owners really liked the plush top, feeling it was luxurious for their dog
- Some owners felt the bed wasn’t as high-quality as they expected for the price
- Not designed to stand up to chewing or rough play, with some owners finding their dog could destroy the bed when left unsupervised
- Some owners of big breeds felt that the bed wasn’t sturdy enough to support their dog’s weight over time
- Some found the mattress began to sag after a period of regular use
- Some owners found the size description misleading, ending up with the wrong sized bed for their dog
Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed review
- Best bolster bed
- Memory foam base for support
- Soft bolster and removable cushion
If you’re on the hunt for the best orthopedic bolster dog bed, the Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed could be the 1 for you. The convoluted, memory foam base provides support and comfort. The removable fluffy cushion and soft bolster provide additional comfort and create a wonderful snuggly bed for your pup.
The sides aren’t too high to ensure your dog can still easily access the bed, which I found particularly useful for my small breeds. The bed comes in a range of sizes to suit most breeds and is a very affordable price.
- Some said that this was their dog’s favorite bed and that they would choose it over others on offer in the home
- Durable, with owners saying this bed lasted longer than others they had tried
- Many said they felt the bed was very good quality, especially for the affordable price
- Owners found the bed easy to clean due to the removable cover and ability to fit the inner cushion into the washing machine
- Bolster provides extra neck and head support, increasing comfort for dogs
- Owners of elderly dogs or those with mobility issues found this bed supportive and comfortable
- Some owners found this bed difficult to clean, as dirt clings to the bed’s material and the inner cushion’s cover is not removable
- Not designed to stand up to chewing and rough play, with some owners saying their dog destroyed the bed when left unsupervised
- Zipper placed in an easily accessible spot, meaning unsupervised dogs can easily pull at it
- Some felt the bed wasn’t as high-quality as they would have liked
- Some owners found the sizing misleading, ending up with the wrong sized bed for their dog
Big Barker 7" Headrest Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed with Removable Cove review
- Best for large and giant breeds
- Designed specifically for big breeds
- Provides essential support and comfort
If you need the best orthopedic dog bed for large breeds, then the Big Barker 7″ Headrest Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed with Removable Cover is a perfect choice. It’s designed specifically for bigger dogs to provide additional support and comfort. The bed can help prevent joint issues which larger dogs are prone to, as well as ease discomfort for big dogs with existing joint or mobility problems.
Made with high-quality orthopedic foam and covered in extremely soft microfiber, this bed will provide the ultimate luxury and comfort for your big pal. It’s available in 3 sizes to suit large to giant breeds. While this bed is on the pricier end of the scale, it truly is 1 of the best orthopedic dog beds for large dogs, so I feel it’s worth the investment.
- Many said this bed was very high-quality and well made, making it worth the price
- Owners found that this bed was big enough to allow their big or giant breed to stretch out fully without feeling restricted
- Owners of dogs with additional health needs or elderly dogs said that this bed helped their dog to feel more comfortable and supported, as well as reducing joint pain
- Lower sides make the bed easier to access, while the headrest provides additional head and neck support
- Many said the foam was great quality and they felt that the bed was durable, with several stating this bed lasted years
- Many stated that this was better than any other bed they’d purchased (and their dog’s agreed, choosing it over other sleeping spots in the home)
- Owners stated the bed was very easy to clean, featuring a removable cover
- Some owners felt that the bed wasn’t as high-quality as they would have expected for the high price
- Some found the bed was too high for their dog to get up onto easily
- Some said that the quality of the bed’s cover let down the overall quality of the bed
- Some found that the cover material was hard to remove dog hair from
- Not designed to be chewed or for rough digging, with some owners finding their dog could destroy the bed when left unsupervised
FurHaven Faux Sheepskin Snuggery Orthopedic Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover review
- Best for snuggling
- Additional blanket layer for snuggling
- Orthopedic foam with faux sheepskin layer
The FurHaven Faux Sheepskin Snuggery Orthopedic Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover is a fantastic dog if your dog loves a good snuggle session and feels more comfortable when they’re under a blanket (like my chihuahua)! A soft, faux sheepskin lined blanket is attached to the top of bed which you can either leave loose for your dog to snuggle under or use the plastic hoop provided to create a little cave.
The base of the bed is faux sheepskin lined for comfort and made from orthopedic foam for support. It’s available in a range of sizes to suit small to large breeds, and even comes at an affordable price. My chihuahua absolutely adored this bed, enjoying being able to get cozy and warm inside.
- Owners liked the multiple options of this bed: their dog could lay on top of it, snuggle under it like a blanket, or use it like a cave with the plastic hoop attachment
- Many said this bed was very high-quality, with a thick, comfortable mattress
- Range of sizes means even bigger dogs have plenty of room to snuggle up
- Some felt the bed kept their dogs warm during cold weather
- Some owners stated they felt this bed was great value for money
- Very comfortable and cozy, even for older dogs or those with sore joints
- Not designed for chewing or rough play, with some owners finding their dog could break the bed when left unsupervised
- Some felt this bed wasn’t as sturdy or high-quality as they expected
- Some felt the size description was misleading, ending up with a bed that was the wrong size for their dog
- Plastic hoop attachment can be flimsy, with some owners finding it hard to use or finding it would fall down
- Some felt this bed wasn’t good value for money, stating they had better experiences with other beds
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 5 October, 2022
Things to Look for in an Orthopedic Dog Bed
Let’s take a look at some of the most important factors to consider when buying an orthopedic dog bed:
Choosing a bed made from high-quality materials will ensure your dog is as comfortable as possible, as well as making the bed more durable and long-lasting.
Type of Foam
Different types of foam are available with varying qualities. In general, choosing a bed made from orthopedic foam or memory foam is best for support and comfort.
Mattresses will come in varying thicknesses. Those which are less thick may be suitable for smaller dogs or dogs who don’t require as much support. Bigger breeds and those who need more support will benefit from a thicker mattress.
Correct Size for Your Dog
This sounds obvious, but you will of course want to make sure the bed is the right size for your dog. Check the size description to ensure it’s big enough for your pup. In general, if the bed is bigger than your dog it will still be suitable, but a bed too small will be uncomfortable and provide less support.
Ease of Cleaning
We all know that dogs can get their belongings messy quite quickly, so choosing a bed that is easy to clean will make life easier for you and be more hygienic for your pooch. Many orthopedic beds will come with removable covers which you can pop in the washing machine.
You of course want the bed to be durable so it will last longer. Choosing a bed made from high-quality materials will play a big part in this. It’s always a good idea to check the description and reviews for indications of durability too.
Shape and Style
Orthopedic beds come in a range of styles and shapes. This is often down to preference (for your dog and you). Think about what they usually find comfortable.
It’s also important to consider how easy the bed will be for them to get in and out of. Consider the height of the bed and any bolsters around the bed to ensure easy access, particularly if they have mobility issues.
Why You Might Choose an Orthopedic Dog Bed
There are so many benefits to choosing an orthopedic dog bed. Some people choose them simply because they want their dog to have optimum comfort. Others may opt for an orthopedic bed because they can help to prevent future joint problems by distributing the dog’s weight evenly, reducing pressure on the joints and improving posture.
Some owners of dogs with joint and mobility issues or elderly dogs choose this type of bed to relieve joint pain and provide their precious pup with the extra support they need. Orthopedic beds can also be very useful to give a dog recovering from surgery or an illness extra comfort and support. These beds can even be used to comfort anxious dogs, as the comfort and support can aid them in relaxing fully and sleeping more peacefully.
Do orthopedic dog beds really help?
Yes, orthopedic dog beds can help make your dog significantly more comfortable and improve sleep quality, especially for those with additional health needs.
Are orthopedic dog beds worth it?
Some orthopedic beds are more expensive than other options, however they are well worth the investment.
Whether your dog needs additional support at bedtime, or you just want them to be extra comfy, an orthopedic dog bed can be a fantastic choice. Before you know it, your best pal will be dreaming happily.
What is the Best Orthopedic Dog Bed?
- Top Pick: FurHaven Quilted Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover
- Second best: Frisco Plush Orthopedic Pillowtop Dog Bed w/Removable Cover
- Third best: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Recommended: Big Barker 7" Headrest Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed with Removable Cove
- Recommended: FurHaven Faux Sheepskin Snuggery Orthopedic Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover