Going on walks together is 1 of the most fun and important parts of having a dog. Since dogs need to go outside to use the toilet, they need to go on walks at all times of the day and night. Reflective dog collars increase safety, helping you (and others around you) to see your dog in the dark or low light. We’ll take a look at 5 of the best reflective dog collars, comparing quality, comfort, strength, and visibility.
The Best Reflective Dog Collars
More Detailed Reflective Dog Collar Reviews
Blueberry Pet 3M Multi-Colored Stripe Polyester Reflective Dog Collar review
- Best overall
- Reflective stripes woven in
- Durable and comfortable
If you’re searching for the best reflective dog collar, the Blueberry Pet 3M Multi-Colored Stripe Polyester Reflective Dog Collar could be the 1 for you. It’s made from high-quality polyester to keep your pup comfortable, as well as providing durability and strength.
Reflective stripes are woven into the webbing for visibility, allowing your dog to be seen from all angles at night. I found this collar very handy and visible when walking my dogs in low light. A range of colors are available so you can choose a collar that suits your dog’s style.
- Many owners felt the collar was well made and high-quality
- Reflective stripes keep your dog visible in low light and at night, which owners said helped them to keep track of their dog and increased safety
- Owners generally felt that the collar was sturdy and durable, with some mentioning it stood up to wear for their adventurous dogs when previous collars have worn out
- Some said the double D rings were particularly useful, providing extra security for big, strong dogs or extra space to attach identity tags
- Many enjoyed the choice of colors available and the stylish design
- Some owners felt that the collar was too thin and didn’t like that the collar wasn’t padded, with some saying they didn’t think it was comfortable enough for their dog
- Those with dogs who pull on the lead sometimes found the collar broke quickly
- Some owners stated they didn’t think the collar was good quality and didn’t think it would wear well
- Some found the sizing misleading, ending up with the wrong sized collar for their dog
Max and Neo Dog Gear Nylon Reflective Martingale Dog Collar with Chain review
- Best for control
- Martingale style gives control and security
- Comfortable yet durable
The Max and Neo Dog Gear Nylon Reflective Martingale Dog Collar with Chain is an excellent option if you need both visibility and control. The collar is made from heavy-duty nylon with an additional chain for extra strength and durability. Reflective webbing allows your dog to be visible from all angles at night.
The style of this collar means it gently tightens if your dog pulls forward. This gives you more control on walks, therefore helping to reduce pulling, preventing your dog from escaping, and aiding you in reinforcing good behavior.
The collar is comfortable and stylish, with a range of colors available. I enjoyed being able to choose a different color for each of my dogs, which is both practical and fun.
- Collar is well made and sturdy, with many owners stating they felt it was high-quality
- Owners found that the martingale style of collar and the sturdy chain reduced pulling and increased control on walks
- Many owners felt that the collar was comfortable for their dog
- Some stated they loved the way the collar looked on their dog, feeling it was very stylish
- Several owners said that the collar was easily seen at night which they felt increased safety on walks
- Owners liked that the company donated a collar to a dog rescue with every collar they sell
- Metal chain can oxidize, with some owners finding it left discoloration on their dog’s fur
- Some found that the buckle’s locking action wasn’t secure, which they worried would lead to the buckle opening if their dog pulled
- Some felt that the metal made the collar too heavy and chunky on their dog’s neck
- Some found the sizing confusing, ending up with the wrong sized collar for their dog
Chai's Choice Comfort Cushion 3M Polyester Reflective Dog Collar review
- Best for comfort
- Padded mesh to reduce rubbing
- Reflective and strong
The Chai’s Choice Comfort Cushion 3M Polyester Reflective Dog Collar is the ultimate in comfort for your dog, with mesh, breathable padding to reduce rubbing. High-quality, nylon webbing means this collar is durable and strong. Reflective webbing ensures your dog is visible in low light and at night.
The collar is available in a range of colors, making it stylish and practical. I found that this collar was gentle on my small breed dog’s neck and was easily visible on walks.
- Soft material with padding provides extra comfort, with owners saying they felt it was gentle on their dog’s neck even for those with sensitive skin
- Owners found the reflective aspect of this collar was handy on night-time walks
- Many said that they felt the collar was high-quality and good value
- Material is strong and durable, with owners saying it stood up to wear on all sorts of walks, even with bigger dogs
- Owners enjoyed the choice of color and felt the collar looked good on their dog
- Some said they found this collar difficult to adjust at first, which they found frustrating
- Some found that the sizing was misleading, which lead them to purchase the wrong size for their dog
- The stainless-steel ring is quite large, which some owners felt was impractical
- Some owners felt that the collar wasn’t good quality after finding that it broke quickly
Pawtitas Nylon Reflective Dog Collar review
- Best for color choice
- Wide range of colors available
- Strong design to stand up to wear
The Pawtitas Nylon Reflective Dog Collar is a great option, especially if you want a wide range of color choices to ensure style as well as practicality. Reflective stitching means your dog can be seen from all angles in low light. Constructed with 1 strip of high-quality nylon, this collar is designed to be durable and stand up to wear, reducing the chances of rips and tears.
I found that this collar was comfortable for my dogs and felt it was well made. I enjoyed the wide range of color choices and felt that it was stylish on my dogs.
- Sturdy and well made with many saying that they felt this collar was durable and high-quality
- Owners said the reflective aspect of the collar was especially useful
- Several said they felt the collar looked good on their dog
- Many owners really enjoyed the wide color choice and vibrancy of the collar
- Owners felt the ‘Peace, Love and Pawprint’ sign on the collar was a very cute touch
- Some said the collar was lightweight, which they felt was more comfortable for their smaller breed dog than other collars
- Some owners felt that the sizing was confusing, stating that smaller collars ended up being too thin
- Some found that the clasp was not secure, meaning the collar did not stay at the right size and moved around during use
- Color of the collar can be prone to bleeding in heavy rain or if immersed in water, which owners found colored their dog’s fur
- Some found the rubber sign got in the way and made it difficult to lay the collar flat around their dog’s neck
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 5 October, 2022
Things to Look for in a Reflective Dog Collar
If you’re searching for the best reflective dog collar, it’s a good idea to look for the following:
Of course, the primary thing you want from a reflective dog collar is visibility in low light or darkness. The best reflective collars will have reflective material around the whole collar to ensure your dog is visible from all angles. Many collars will have the reflective elements sewn or woven in, making them more durable and more likely to stand up to wear.
It’s a good idea to consider how many reflective elements are included and how effectively they reflect the light. Look for pictures and videos of the collar in darkness and check out the reviews for other owner’s experiences.
Material Type and Quality
Reflective collars come in a wide range of material types so consider what material would be best for your dog. If you’re looking for good durability and comfort, a material such as nylon or polyester would be best. If your dog is sensitive or you want extra comfort, a collar that has additional padding might be more suitable.
If you’re looking for extreme durability in all weathers, a more hardwearing material like leather may be better. Consider buckle or clasp material too: a plastic closure is more lightweight and common, while a metal closure can be more hardwearing but heavier. Take your time to figure out what’s best for you and your dog.
Correct Size for Your Dog
Choosing the right size collar for your dog is crucial for their safety and comfort. Look at the size guide carefully and measure your dog’s neck to get the right size. In general, the collar should be tight enough that they can’t escape but loose enough that you can fit 2 fingers between the collar and their neck.
Comfort for Your Dog
Choosing a collar of the right size and material for your dog will ensure their comfort. You can also look for additional comfort features such as padding or a wide collar for dogs with long, thin necks.
Some owners use reflective collars as a safety addition, rather than attaching the lead to the collar to walk their dog. If you’re going to attach your leash to the collar on walks, you need to ensure it’s going to be strong enough for your dog. Consider the material type and how hard-wearing the collar will be.
It’s also essential to consider how strong the buckle or clasp will be. Consider the material type and whether the closure can be locked. This is especially important if you have a big dog who pulls on walks.
Benefits of a Reflective Dog Collar
Reflective collars help to keep your dog safe at night. If your dog is off lead, the collar can help you to keep track of your pup and prevent them from getting lost. If you’re walking your dog near a road, the collar ensures your dog is visible to any oncoming cars, preventing any accidents.
Reflective collars allow other walks to be aware that there’s a dog on the path ahead, preventing surprises and any run-ins with other dogs who may be reactive. Lastly, if your precious pup ever got lost when out at night, a reflective collar can help you to find them quickly and prevent them from being injured if they run across a road.
Collar Safety Advice
Always choose a collar of the right size and strength for your dog to ensure their comfort and safety. Remove the collar when they’re in their crate or pen and during play to prevent any potential safety hazards. Never jerk on the lead when your dog is wearing a collar, as this can hurt their neck.
Do you need a reflective dog collar?
Yes, if you walk your dog at night a reflective collar is a good investment to increase your dog’s safety.
A reflective collar can make night-time walks safer for you and your dog, allowing you both to relax and enjoy your walk together.
What is the Best Reflective Dog Collar?
- Top Pick: Blueberry Pet 3M Multi-Colored Stripe Polyester Reflective Dog Collar
- Second best: Max and Neo Dog Gear Nylon Reflective Martingale Dog Collar with Chain
- Third best: Chai's Choice Comfort Cushion 3M Polyester Reflective Dog Collar
- Recommended: Pawtitas Nylon Reflective Dog Collar
- Recommended: GoTags Personalized Reflective Nylon Dog Collar