The adorable Goldendoodle combines a Golden Retriever and a Poodle, creating a coat that’s thick and often curly. The breed is friendly, loyal, and playful, making them well loved as a family pet. Their coat requires a regular grooming schedule, including bathing, to keep them healthy and looking their best. We’ll look at 5 shampoos, comparing ingredient quality, moisturizing properties, and additional benefits to help you make the best choice.
The Best Shampoo for Goldendoodle
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Shampoos for Goldendoodles
Burt's Bees Oatmeal Shampoo with Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey for Dogs review
- Best moisturizing and conditioning shampoo
- 97% natural ingredients
- Strengthens hair follicles
When you’re looking for the best shampoo for Goldendoodles, you should consider the Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo with Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey for Dogs, as it provides your pup with plenty of moisture for their skin and coat. The natural ingredients make it a gentle and high-quality formula, designed to soothe and condition dry skin and leave your pup’s coat soft and shiny.
I loved that this shampoo was 97% natural and contained no hidden nasties. I liked that the formula was made to strengthen my dog’s hair follicles, promoting a healthier coat and increased growth.
- Many owners said this shampoo left their dog’s coat in great condition, in particular mentioning their coat was soft, shiny, and tangle free
- Owners generally found this shampoo cleaned their dog well, even when they were very dirty
- Owners liked that this shampoo formula was gentle on their dog’s skin and coat
- Many said that this shampoo soothed and moisturised their dog’s skin, even for those with skin issues
- Most owners liked the gentle, mild smell of this shampoo
- Some owners didn’t like the thin consistency of this shampoo and found it didn’t lather well
- Some didn’t like the lack of smell of this shampoo, stating they would have preferred something stronger
- Some found they needed to use a lot of the product to get their dog clean, and therefore felt it wasn’t good value
- Some stated their dog smelt again a few days after their bath
- Some found this product didn’t agree with their dog’s sensitive skin
Zesty Paws Oatmeal Anti-Itch Dog Shampoo with Aloe Vera & Vitamin E review
- Best anti-itch shampoo
- Contains natural ingredients
- Soothes dry and itchy skin
The Zesty Paws Oatmeal Anti-Itch Dog Shampoo with Aloe Vera & Vitamin E is 1 of the best Goldendoodle shampoos, especially if your dog is prone to dry or itchy skin. The formula contains natural ingredients including oatmeal, aloe vera, and vitamin E to moisturise and soothe your dog’s skin and coat.
I loved that this shampoo was so gentle and found it left my dog’s coat in good condition. I liked that it had a pleasant but not overwhelming smell.
- Many owners found this shampoo helped to soothe their dog’s itchy skin and reduce skin issues
- Many said this shampoo was very moisturizing for their dog’s skin
- Owners generally found this shampoo cleaned their dog well and left them smelling fresh for days after their bath
- Owners liked the pleasant but not overpowering scent of this shampoo
- Most owners found this shampoo left their dog’s coat in great condition, in particular stating it was soft and shiny
- Some owners found this shampoo had an overpowering, unpleasant smell which they didn’t like
- Some found this shampoo left a residue on their dog’s coat
- Some owners found it didn’t ease their dog’s itching as well as expected
- Some found this formula didn’t agree with their dog’s sensitive skin
Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner review
- Best natural shampoo
- Natural, gentle formula
- Safe for puppies
The Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner is a wonderful, natural option, designed to clean your dog while conditioning their skin and coat. The natural ingredients even help to soothe and calm irritated or dry skin.
If you’re looking for the best shampoo and conditioner for Goldendoodle puppies, this gentle shampoo is a great, safe option. I liked that this shampoo lathered well and generally felt it was a high-quality product.
- Owners loved the natural ingredients in this shampoo, with most feeling the formula was high-quality and gentle
- Most owners found this shampoo cleaned their dog well and stated it lathered well
- Many said this shampoo conditioned their dog’s skin and coat well, even for dogs with sensitive skin
- Many said they liked the smell of this shampoo and found it lasted a while after their dog’s bath
- Owners generally found this shampoo was good value, as they didn’t need much to wash their dog each time
- Some found the scent of this shampoo was too strong for their preferences
- Some found this shampoo didn’t condition their dog’s skin and coat as well as they’d hoped
- Despite being natural, some found the formula didn’t agree with their dog’s sensitive skin
- Shampoo can be hard to squeeze out of the bottle, especially mid-bath
- Some stated they liked the scent, but it didn’t last as long as they would have liked
PetAg Fresh 'N Clean Scented Dog Shampoo review
- Best scented shampoo
- Lasting, pleasant smell
- Contains natural ingredients
If you’re on the lookout for the best dog shampoo for Goldendoodles, keep the PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Scented Dog Shampoo in mind. This shampoo is designed to clean your pup and tackle odours, which is perfect if your dog loves to get dirty.
I loved that the formula contained natural ingredients, and appreciated that it was also very conditioning for my dog’s skin and coat. I found the smell pleasant and liked that it lasted on my dogs for days after the bath.
- Most owners found this shampoo smell very pleasant and stated it lasted on their dog for days and even weeks after the bath
- Owners generally found this shampoo cleaned their dog very well
- Many said this shampoo didn’t irritate their dog’s sensitive skin, unlike other scented products they’d tried
- Most owners said this product left their dog’s coat in great condition, mentioning it was soft, silky, shiny, and tangle-free
- Many said this was their favourite shampoo and they would recommend it to others
- Some owners felt the scent was too strong and didn’t like that it lasted so long after the bath
- Some found the shampoo didn’t leave their dog’s coat as shiny or soft as they expected
- Some felt this shampoo wasn’t as high-quality as they expected
Ark Naturals Don't Worry Don't Rinse Me Waterless Dog & Cat Shampoo review
- Best waterless shampoo
- Easy to use
- Perfect for between baths
The Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me Waterless Dog & Cat Shampoo is a great option to keep your Goldendoodle clean between baths. You simply massage it into your dog’s coat and you’re good to go: there’s no need to rinse.
The formula is designed to clean your dog and leave them smelling fresh between baths. I loved how easy this was to use and found it very handy. I liked that it contained natural ingredients and found it didn’t leave a greasy residue on my dog’s coat like other similar products I’d tried.
- Owners generally found this waterless formula useful to keep their dog clean and fresh between baths
- Most owners found the smell of this shampoo was pleasant and mentioned it left their dog smelling nice afterwards
- Many said this waterless formula didn’t leave a residue on their dog’s coat, unlike other similar products they’d tried
- Owners mostly felt this shampoo was gentle on their dog’s skin and coat
- Many owners said this shampoo was easy and quick to use
- Some found this shampoo didn’t clean their dog as well as expected, especially when their dog was particularly dirty
- Some found the shampoo did leave a residue on their dog’s coat after use
- Some said they didn’t like the smell of this shampoo, stating it smelt ‘synthetic’ or ‘medical’
- Some found this product wasn’t as useful for their needs as they thought it would be
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 4 October, 2022
Things to Look for in a Shampoo for Goldendoodles
Whether you’re looking for the best shampoo for mini Goldendoodles or standard Goldendoodles, it’s a good idea to look for the following:
High-quality ingredients ensure your dog is getting the best and that the shampoo is safe for them. Natural, hypoallergenic, and organic ingredients are best, with as few chemical ingredients as possible. This ensures the shampoo is gentle on your dog’s skin and coat.
Any dog shampoo should also be PH-balanced to suit the PH of a dog’s skin (which is different to humans). It should ideally be soap-free, which simply means it’s free of harsh soaping agents that can be drying for your pup.
Moisturizing and Conditioning
Choosing a shampoo which is moisturizing and conditioning helps to keep your dog’s skin and coat in good condition. This becomes even more important if your dog tends to suffer with dry skin.
Suitable for Lifestage
You might be searching for the best shampoo for Goldendoodle puppies or for adult dogs: ensure you choose a shampoo that’s suitable for your dog’s lifestage. Some shampoos will be gentle enough for both adult dogs and puppies. Alternatively, you can buy a specific puppy shampoo.
We all want great value for money, but it’s not just about price. Value also comes from the size of the bottle, how much you need to use each time, and how high-quality the formula is.
Some shampoos will have additional features, such as getting rid of fleas and ticks, being deodorizing, or treating specific skin issues. Keep your dog’s individual needs in mind to help you make the best choice.
Goldendoodle Coat Basics
Since the Goldendoodle is a cross between a Golden Retriever and a Poodle, their coat can vary depending on their genetics. Their coat is double layered and thick. It might be very curly and coarse, or may be wavier or straight.
Goldendoodles have very different coats as puppies, so you won’t know what type of coat your dog will have as an adult until they grow up. The Poodle doesn’t shed much, so often Goldendoodles don’t shed a lot, however this also depends on their genes. Most Goldendoodles will shed minimally year-round.
No matter how much they shed, your dog needs regular grooming. Grooming keeps their skin and coat healthy and looking great. It also gives you an opportunity to keep an eye out for any skin irritations or signs of other health conditions.
How to Bath Your Goldendoodle
You should bath your Goldendoodle once every 4 to 6 weeks, unless they’re very dirty. Bathing them more frequently than this can dry out their skin and coat, and cause skin issues. Some owners may choose to bath their pup less often if they don’t really need it.
Some Doodles will love a bath while others will hate it: either way it’s a good idea to get your dog used to bathing early on in life to reduce any stress. Make it as fun as possible by giving them plenty of praise and the odd treat. You could even introduce floating toys to the bath.
Here are some Goldendoodle bathing tips:
- Get your supplies ready and to hand to make your life easier
- Give your Doodle a thorough brush to get rid of any mats and tangles
- Once they’re brushed, pop them in the bath and make sure the water is warm
- Wet their coat thoroughly, ensuring you get right down to the undercoat (avoid getting water in their eyes and ears)
- Apply the shampoo and massage it in with firm pressure all over their coat
- Rinse them clean and ensure you get rid of all shampoo, as residue can irritate their skin (rinse twice if you are unsure)
- Let them shake off, then dry them with a towel (be gentle and work in the direction of their coat: don’t rub back and forth as this can cause mats)
- You can let them air dry, or you can use a blowdryer to dry them off faster
- Once they’re dry, give them another thorough brush and then they’re ready to snuggle
Your Doodle also needs to be brushed regularly to keep their coat healthy. Ideally you should brush them at least 3 times a week (if not more) to keep their coat mat and tangle free. If their coat is curly, it’s more likely to trap dirt, debris, and loose hair which you need to brush free.
You can trim your pup’s coat and nails at home if you feel confident, or you can regularly take them to a professional groomer. You should regularly clean their eyes to prevent build up in the eye area and ensure their eyes don’t get irritated. You should also use an ear cleaning solution to clean their ears.
Your Doodle should have an oral hygiene routine including regular tooth brushing to keep plaque and tartar at bay. You can also choose to give them dental chews and other dental cleaning aids (such as toys, water additives, and so on) to keep their teeth and gums healthy.
Shampoo for Goldendoodles FAQ
How often should you bathe your Goldendoodle?
You should bathe your Goldendoodle once every 4-6 weeks, or less frequently if they’re not dirty.
Regular baths keep your Goldendoodle’s beautiful coat in top condition. They’ll be smelling fresh and ready to snuggle up on the sofa with you.
What is the Best Shampoo for Goldendoodle?
- Top Pick: Burt's Bees Oatmeal Shampoo with Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey for Dogs
- Second best: Zesty Paws Oatmeal Anti-Itch Dog Shampoo with Aloe Vera & Vitamin E
- Third best: Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Recommended: PetAg Fresh 'N Clean Scented Dog Shampoo
- Recommended: Ark Naturals Don't Worry Don't Rinse Me Waterless Dog & Cat Shampoo