Miniature Schnauzers are adorable little dogs with a cute expression that’s full of character. While they don’t shed a lot, their coat still requires regular grooming, including bathing to keep them smelling fresh and looking their best. A good shampoo is key for your pup to keep their skin and coat in good condition. We’ll look at 5 suitable shampoos, comparing shampoo type, ingredient quality, and additional benefits.
The Best Shampoo for Miniature Schnauzers
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Shampoos for Miniature Schnauzers
Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner review
- Best overall
- High-quality natural ingredients
- Cleans and conditions
When you’re looking for the best shampoo for a Miniature Schnauzer, the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner should be at the top of your list. This shampoo is made with cosmetic-grade ingredients, including a ton of natural ingredients which are great for your dog’s skin and coat. It cleans and conditions to ensure your dog’s coat is left looking and feeling healthy.
I loved that this shampoo contained such quality, natural ingredients and was soap-free and free of harsh additives. I liked that the ingredients soothed itchy skin, conditioned my dog’s coat, and even contained a natural deodorizer to get rid of smells. I found it easy to use, very effective, and it left my dogs looking their best.
- Most owners found that this shampoo had a very pleasant smell which lasted for days after the bath
- Owners liked that the shampoo contained natural ingredients, feeling it was high-quality for their dog
- Many owners found the shampoo helped to condition their dog’s coat
- Many found that this shampoo soothed their dog’s skin, even for those with ongoing skin issues
- Owners typically found this shampoo was easy to use, stating it lathered well and rinsed away easily
- Many said they only needed to use a little bit of this shampoo each time, which made it good value
- Some owners found that the scent was too strong and stated they would have preferred something more subtle
- Some found the scent didn’t last as long as they hoped after their dog’s bath
- Some said the formula didn’t agree with their dog’s sensitive skin
- Some owners found this shampoo wasn’t as conditioning as they expected
- This shampoo can be difficult to get out of the bottle at times
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog & Cat Shampoo review
- Best for soothing
- Soothes dry, itchy skin
- Moisturizes and conditions
If your pup has irritated skin (as many Miniature Schnauzers are prone to) the Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog & Cat Shampoo is an excellent option for soothing your pup’s skin. Made with natural ingredients this shampoo is specifically designed to soothe dry, itchy, or irritated skin, while gently cleaning your dog’s skin and coat. I loved that the formula also moisturizers, conditions, and deodorizes.
The vanilla and almond scent leaves your pup smelling pleasant after their bath. The formula is also soap free, and 100% biodegradable, paraben and phosphate-free. I felt that this shampoo was high-quality and gentle for my dogs.
- Most owners found that this shampoo was very soothing for their dog’s skin, especially for those with skin issues
- Owners liked that the ingredients were natural, feeling the shampoo was good quality for their dog
- Owners typically found this shampoo left their dog’s coat well conditioned and free of tangles
- Shampoo has a pleasant smell, with many owners saying it left their dog smelling lovely after their bath
- Option to buy shampoo in a large bottle makes it great value for money
- Most owners found the shampoo lathered and rinsed away easily
- Some owners didn’t like the smell of this shampoo and therefore, didn’t like that it lasted for a few days after the bath
- Thinner consistency than some shampoos, which some owners didn’t like
- Some found the shampoo didn’t soothe their dog’s skin as much as expected
- Some said the shampoo didn’t agree with their dog’s sensitive skin
Nature's Miracle Supreme Odor Control Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner review
- Best for odor control
- Neutralizes odors
- Conditions and soothes
The Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner is a great option for odor control, perfect to leave stinky pups clean and smelling fresh. The natural ingredients work to neutralize odors and clean your dog’s skin and coat. The formula also deeply conditions to leave your dog looking and feeling their best.
It’s soap free, free of dyes or parabens, and is gentle enough for sensitive skin. I found this shampoo smelt great and left my dog’s coat feeling soft and looking healthy. I liked that the formula was even designed to soothe irritated or itchy skin.
- Most owners found this shampoo cleaned their dog well and got rid of any odors, even for older dogs or those with health issues which made them smelly
- Many said the shampoo had a nice smell which lasted for a few days, but wasn’t overpowering
- Owners liked the quality ingredients in this shampoo formula, feeling it was good for their dog
- Many found this shampoo conditioned their dog’s coat well and left it looking healthy
- Many owners found this shampoo was gentle on their dog’s skin, even for those with sensitive skin or skin issues
- Doesn’t lather as much as some other shampoos, which some owners didn’t like
- Some found the shampoo didn’t get rid of their dog’s odor
- Some stated the smell was unpleasant and others mentioned it didn’t last long after their dog’s bath
- Some found the shampoo didn’t agree with their dog’s skin
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Shampoo review
- Best for skin infections
- Medicated formula
- Soothes and promotes healing
If your dog struggles with skin infections, the Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Shampoo might be the best choice for you. This medicated formula treats fungal and bacterial skin infections, working to eliminate bacteria causing the infection, as well as soothing the skin and encouraging healing. You can use this shampoo twice a week to tackle skin infections or once a week to stop flare ups.
This shampoo is high-quality and 100% paraben free, ensuring it’s good for your dog’s skin and coat. It works to effectively clean your dog as well as treating skin infections.
- Many owners found this shampoo helped to clear up their dog’s skin condition, even where other treatments had failed
- Some found the shampoo soothed their dog’s skin, easing itching and making them more comfortable
- Many said this shampoo cleaned their dog’s coat well and left it in good condition
- Some owners were surprised by how nice this shampoo smelt, mentioning it didn’t smell ‘medical’ as they expected
- Most owners found the shampoo was easy to use, lathering and rinsing well
- Some owners found this shampoo didn’t help to treat their dog’s skin condition
- Some found the formula was too harsh for their dog’s skin
- Some owners stated the shampoo didn’t clean their dog as well as others they’d tried
- Some owners didn’t like the smell of the shampoo
- Several owners were concerned about their dog licking themselves after being bathed with this shampoo, since it is a medicated formula
Ark Naturals Don't Worry Don't Rinse Me Waterless Dog & Cat Shampoo review
- Best waterless shampoo
- Cleans and moisturizes
- Use between baths
The Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me Waterless Dog & Cat Shampoo is a fantastic option to keep your pup clean and smelling fresh between baths. You simply massage it into your dog’s coat, and you’re done: no need to rinse, brush, or towel dry (unless you want to). This product helps to clean and moisturize your dog’s coat between baths or on the go.
Quality, natural ingredients ensure it’s gentle on your dog’s skin. I loved that this shampoo was so easy to use and found it left my dogs smelling great. It’s very handy when you don’t have time to give them a bath, and I found it didn’t leave a greasy residue unlike other similar products I’ve tried.
- Most owners found this product very useful, stating it helped to keep their dog clean and smelling nice between baths
- Many owners liked that this shampoo didn’t leave a residue on their dog’s coat unlike other similar products they’d tried
- Many liked the smell of this shampoo and said it left their dog smelling nice after use
- Owners typically felt this formula was gentle on their dog’s skin and coat
- Owners of dogs with mobility issues or health problems found this product kept their dog clean even when they weren’t able to have regular baths
- Some owners didn’t like the smell of this product, mentioning it smelt ‘medical’ or ‘synthetic’
- Some found the shampoo didn’t clean their dog as well as they’d hoped
- Some said the shampoo left a residue in their dog’s coat
- Some owners found that this product wasn’t as useful as they expected
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 3 October, 2022
Things to Look for in a Shampoo for a Miniature Schnauzer
When you’re looking for the best shampoo for Miniature Schnauzers, it’s important to take the following into consideration:
There are lots of different types of shampoo, so take your time to figure out what’s best for your dog’s needs. For example, if your dog has skin issues, a soothing, anti-itch, or medicated shampoo may be best. If your dog struggles with odor, an odor control shampoo will be your best choice.
You might need a flea and tick shampoo if your dog is having issues with pests. Some Schnauzer owners choose whitening or brightening shampoos to enhance their dog’s natural coat.
A shampoo formulated with high-quality ingredients ensures it’s safe and effective for your dog. Natural ingredients are typically best where possible, as they’re gentler on your dog’s skin and coat. Some shampoos may state they’re hypoallergenic or free from harsh ingredients to ensure they’re good for your dog.
Soothing for Skin
Miniature Schnauzers can be prone to skin conditions, so a shampoo with ingredients to soothe the skin can be very useful. Look for shampoos that say they ease itching or soothe dry skin.
Conditioning for Skin and Coat
A shampoo that conditions and moisturizes your dog’s skin and coat as well as cleaning your pup is best. This helps to reduce tangles and prevent dryness, as well as leaving your dog’s coat looking great.
Miniature Schnauzers are prone to oily skin, which can lead to odor (resulting in a stinky pup). Shampoos which work to control odor can be useful, along with regular bathing, so your dog can smell fresh. Try to avoid artificial fragrance where possible, as this can lead to skin irritation.
Suitable for Lifestage
Choosing a shampoo that’s suitable for your dog’s lifestage is important. Most dog shampoos are suitable for adult dogs of all ages. If you have a puppy, it’s important you get a suitable shampoo that isn’t too harsh for their delicate skin and coat. Some shampoos will be suitable for puppies, or you can choose a shampoo specifically designed for puppies.
Of course, bottle size and an affordable price ensures good value. However, a shampoo made from high-quality ingredients also adds value.
Miniature Schnauzer Coat Basics
Miniature Schnauzers have a double coat consisting of a soft undercoat and a wiry topcoat. Their coat is medium length and typically doesn’t shed much. They require regular grooming, including brushing and bathing, to keep them looking their best.
Grooming also provides an opportunity to keep an eye on your dog’s health, allowing you to notice any skin irritations early so you can deal with them quickly. Since the breed can be prone to skin issues, this is even more important.
Try to get your pup used to a grooming routine as early on as possible, as this will make it less stressful for both you and them. Give them breaks, plenty of praise, and treats to make it as pleasant for them as possible.
How to Bath Your Miniature Schnauzer
Since Miniature Schnauzers are a particularly oily breed and can become smelly, as we discussed earlier, regular bathing is important. You should bathe your dog around once a month. You can choose to bathe them more if they’re particularly dirty or smelly but remember that bathing too frequently can strip their skin and coat of their natural oils and result in dryness.
Below are some bathing tips to guide you:
- Always brush your dog thoroughly before their bath to ensure there are no mats or tangles
- Cover your dog’s ears or put cotton balls gently in them to avoid getting water inside their ears
- Use warm water to ensure your pup is comfortable
- Wet them thoroughly, starting from the neck down to their tail
- Lather shampoo in your hands and them massage it into your dog’s coat all over their body (avoid their eyes and ears)
- You can use a small brush, comb, or washcloth to carefully clean your dog’s face and beard
- Rinse their coat well to ensure there’s no left-over residue as this can irritate their skin (rinse twice if you aren’t sure)
- Towel dry them gently in the direction of their coat (don’t rub back and forth as this can cause mats)
- You can let your dog air dry or dry them carefully with a hairdryer (make sure it doesn’t get too hot)
- Brush their coat again once it’s dry to ensure there are no tangles
As well as bathing your dog, they will also need to regularly be brushed to get rid of loose hair and dirt, as well as keeping them free of tangles and mats. You can clip your dog’s coat at home or take them to a professional groomer. Some owners choose to have their dog’s coat stripped, which means getting rid of loose hair by hand rather than clipping the coat.
Your dog should also regularly have their nails clipped (at home or at the groomers). You should clean their eye area and their ears with cotton buds and a specific cleaning solution, or with dog-safe wipes. Your pup should also have a regular oral hygiene routine to keep their teeth and gums healthy.
Miniature Schnauzer Shampoo FAQs
How often does your Miniature Schnauzer need to be groomed?
You should groom your dog every 4 to 6 weeks to ensure they are healthy and happy.
How often should you bathe your Miniature Schnauzer?
You should bathe your pup once every month on average. You can bathe them more if they get particularly dirty.
Can you use human shampoo on your dog?
No, you should never use human shampoo on your dog as it has a different PH and ingredients which can irritate your dog’s skin and coat.
A quality shampoo and a regular bathing routine will keep your pup smelling great and looking their best. Take your time to pick 1 that’s best for your dog’s needs.
What is the Best Shampoo for Miniature Schnauzer?
- Top Pick: Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Second best: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog & Cat Shampoo
- Third best: Nature's Miracle Supreme Odor Control Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Recommended: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Shampoo
- Recommended: Ark Naturals Don't Worry Don't Rinse Me Waterless Dog & Cat Shampoo