Pugs may be little, but they have huge personalities. They’re charming, funny, and mischievous, making them a well-loved breed. Their little faces are simply adorable. Their coat may be short, but they still need plenty of grooming and regular baths. We’ll look at 5 shampoos suitable for Pugs, comparing ingredient quality, purpose, and any additional features
The Best Shampoo for Pug
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Shampoos for Pugs
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog & Cat Shampoo review
- Best for soothing and conditioning
- Natural ingredients
- Moisturizes and soothes
The Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog & Cat Shampoo should be at the top of your list when you’re searching for the best shampoo for Pugs. This gentle, natural formula is designed to clean your dog while also moisturizing their skin and coat. If your Pug suffers with dry skin, this shampoo can help to reduce itching and help to heal their skin.
I loved this shampoo’s natural ingredients and felt it was a high-quality product. I liked that there were no hidden nasties like parabens and phosphates. It’s so gentle that if you’re looking for the best shampoo for Pug puppies, you can use this 1, as it’s suitable from 6 weeks onwards.
- Most owners said this shampoo was very soothing and moisturising for their dog’s skin and coat, even for those with dry skin or other skin issues
- Owners generally found this shampoo left their dogs coat in good condition
- Owners liked that this shampoo contained natural ingredients, feeling it was gentle and high-quality for their pup
- Many said they liked that the pleasant smell of this shampoo and said it left their dog smelling fresh for a while after the bath
- Most owners found this shampoo lathered and rinsed well, and generally felt it was easy to use
- Shampoo is quite a thin consistency which some owners didn’t like
- Some said they didn’t like the smell of this shampoo
- Some found the shampoo irritated their dog’s sensitive skin
- Some owners said this shampoo didn’t soothe their dog’s skin as much as they had expected
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Shampoo review
- Best for skin infections
- Treats fungal and bacterial skin infections
- High-quality ingredients
If your Pug suffers with skin infections, the Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Shampoo could be the best choice for you. This shampoo is specifically designed to treat fungal and bacterial skin infections like dermatitis and pyoderma.
It’s paraben-free and contains aloe vera to soothe the skin and promote faster healing. This medicated shampoo can be used twice weekly to treat your pup’s skin conditions, and then once a week to prevent flare ups.
- Most owners said this shampoo really helped to treat and clear up their dog’s skin infections and other issues, easing itching and making their dog more comfortable
- Many said this shampoo took effect quickly, typically after a few uses
- Most owners said they loved this shampoo and would recommend it to others
- Many said this shampoo smelled pleasant which they were pleasantly surprised about
- Owners generally found this shampoo left their dog’s coat in good condition
- Some owners found this shampoo didn’t help to treat their dog’s skin condition
- Some felt the formula was too harsh for their dog’s sensitive skin
- Some owners didn’t like the smell of this shampoo, stating it smelt ‘chemically’
- Some worried about the safety of their dog licking themselves after the bath with the chemicals in this shampoo
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot & Itch Relief Shampoo review
- Best for itchy skin and hotspots
- Medicated to reduce itching and discomfort
- Protects skin during healing
If your Pug struggles with itchy skin and hotspots, the Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot & Itch Relief Shampoo is an excellent choice. This medicated shampoo contains lidocaine and hydrocortisone to treat the affected areas of your dog’s skin and reduce itching and discomfort.
Natural ingredients are also included to help soothe your pup’s skin, moisturizing and protecting it while their skin heals. This formula is designed to rebuild the effected layers of your dog’s skin so they can be healthy and happy again.
- Most owners said this shampoo really helped to treat their dog’s skin condition and reduced itching, making their pup more comfortable
- Owners stated that the shampoo smelt nice, which many were surprised about
- Owners generally found the shampoo conditioned their dog’s coat well, leaving it soft and shiny
- Owners found the shampoo lathered well and was easy to use
- Many owners saw improvements with their dog’s skin after only a few uses
- Some found this shampoo didn’t improve their dog’s skin issues
- Some found the smell of this shampoo was very unpleasant and stated it lasted on their dog after the bath
- Some found this shampoo didn’t agree with their dog’s skin
Nature's Miracle Supreme Odor Control Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner review
- Best for odour control
- Neutralizes odors
- Gentle, natural formula
If your furbaby loves to get dirty and stinky, the Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner could be the 1 for you. This shampoo is designed to deeply clean your pup and neutralize even the stinkiest of odours. Natural ingredients in the formula will condition and moisturize your dog’s coat and skin.
I loved that this formula was so gentle, containing high-quality natural ingredients. I liked that it also worked to soothe dry skin and itchy skin. I generally found that this was a high-quality product.
- Most owners found that this shampoo tackled odours well and left their dog smelling fresh for days after the bath
- Owners liked that this shampoo had a lasting, pleasant smell without being overpowering
- Many owners found this coat left their dog’s coat in great condition, with owners saying their pup’s coat was soft, shiny, fluffy, and tangle-free
- Many said this shampoo lathered well and that they didn’t need a lot to wash their dog, making it great value
- Owners generally found this formula was gentle on their dog’s skin and soothed itchy skin
- Some found that the shampoo didn’t lather up as much as they hoped, which they found disappointing
- Several owners didn’t like the smell of this shampoo, with some stating it was overpowering and others stating it was unpleasant
- Some owners found it didn’t keep odour away for long after the bath, which they were unhappy with
- Some found the formula didn’t agree with their dog’s sensitive skin
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 5 October, 2022
Things to Look for in a Shampoo for Pugs
It’s a good idea to look for the following when you’re searching for the best Pug shampoo:
It’s best to choose a shampoo made from high-quality ingredients to ensure your Pug is getting the best product and that it’s safe for them. Natural ingredients are best where possible, as they’re gentler and are less likely to irritate your pup’s skin. The shampoo you choose should also be PH-balanced and soap-free.
Soothing and Gentle
Pugs tend to have sensitive skin, so picking a shampoo that’s gentle and soothing will be key. As mentioned, natural ingredients are helpful. Look for shampoos that say they are moisturizing, conditioning, and soothing.
We’ve already mentioned sensitive skin, but Pugs can also be prone to skin irritations, infections, and hot spots. If your pup suffers with a skin issue, a medicated shampoo can be useful. It’s always best to check with your vet first.
Shampoos containing high-quality ingredients are more valuable. It’s also worth taking the size of the bottle into account as well as the price. Check out the reviews to see whether you will need much of the shampoo to wash your pup, as some shampoos will go further than others.
Suitable for Lifestage
Most dog shampoos are for adult dogs, but some will be gentle enough to bath puppies too. Alternatively, if you have a puppy, you might want to choose a puppy specific shampoo.
Pug Coat Basics
Pugs have a short, smooth coat that is typically double layered. Despite their coat being short, they do shed quite a lot so regular grooming is essential. Pugs can be prone to skin issues, so it’s important to keep an eye on this during grooming.
Grooming provides a great opportunity to keep an eye out for skin problems, as well as for fleas, ticks, lumps, and bumps. Spotting them early allows you to deal with them quickly. Grooming can also be a great bonding experience for you and your pup.
How to Bath Your Pug
You should bath your Pug around once a month, although you may be able to bath them less if they’re not very dirty or smelly. If your best pal has a skin issue, your vet may advise bathing them in medicated shampoo more frequently.
Try to get your Pug used to bathing as early on as possible. They can be stubborn and might not like baths: getting them used to the routine will reduce stress for both them and you.
Here are some basic bathing tips to guide you:
- Always brush your Pug thoroughly before you bath them to get rid of loose hair and any mats
- Get all of your supplies ready first to make things easier for yourself
- You can bath your Pug in the bath, shower, or even in the sink since they’re so small
- Wet their coat well, ensuring you get right down to the undercoat
- Be careful not to get water in their eyes or ears, as this might cause irritation
- Massage your chosen shampoo into their skin in firm circular motions
- Once you’ve covered their whole body, rinse them well to ensure there’s no left-over residue
- Let them shake, then dry their little bodies in a towel (rub in the direction of their coat, not back and forth as this can cause mats)
- You can let them air dry or use a blow dryer to dry them quicker if you prefer
- Brush them once again after the bath to make sure their coat is in top condition
You should brush your Pug at least 3 times a week to get rid of loose hair and reduce shedding around your home. Brushing also ensures there are no mats and tangles in your pup’s coat.
Their adorable facial wrinkles can attract bacteria and yeast, so it’s vital to clean them. They need to be cleaned at least once a week, but daily is better. You can use a special cleaning solution or gentle, fragrance-free wipes.
Since your Pug’s cute eyes protrude, it’s vital to clean them regularly as they can attract dirt and debris, which can lead to watering eyes. This can cause tear stains and an irritated eye area. You should clean your Pug’s eye area at least once a day with eye wipes or a dog friendly eye cleaning solution and cotton pads.
You should keep your Pug’s ears clean by regularly using an ear cleaning solution and cotton balls to get rid of any build up. A Pug’s coat doesn’t need to be trimmed and should never be shaved.
You should trim their nails every 6 to 8 weeks to ensure your pup can walk comfortably. If you don’t feel confident doing this at home, you can take them to a professional dog groomer.
Finally, your Pug needs a regular oral hygiene routine, including regular teeth brushing. This gets rid of plaque and prevents a build up of a tartar, keeping your pup’s teeth and gums healthy.
Pug Shampoo FAQ
How often should you bath your Pug?
You should bath your Pug about once a month, or less often if they aren’t particularly dirty or smelly.
Regular grooming keeps your cute little Pug looking and feeling their best. Bathing ensures they smell fresh, ready to snuggle up on the sofa with you in their favorite spot.
What is the Best Shampoo for Pugs?
- Top Pick: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog & Cat Shampoo
- Second best: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Shampoo
- Third best: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot & Itch Relief Shampoo
- Recommended: FURminator DeShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo For Dogs
- Recommended: Nature's Miracle Supreme Odor Control Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner