Breed Advisor only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
What is the Best Shampoo for Shih Tzus?
- Top Pick: Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Second best: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog & Cat Shampoo
- Third best: Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Recommended: TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner
- Recommended: Burt’s Bees Tearless Puppy Shampoo with Buttermilk for Dogs
Comparing the Best Shampoo for Shih Tzus
More Detailed Shih Tzu Shampoo Reviews
Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner review
- Best overall
- Shampoo and conditioner in 1
- Natural ingredients
If you need the best shampoo and conditioner for Shih Tzus, the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner is an excellent option. This 2 in 1 formula is specifically designed to clean, soothe, moisturize, and condition your dog’s coat and skin. It’s made in the USA with cosmetic-grade ingredients, including natural ingredients like essential oils and botanical extracts, to ensure your dog is getting the best quality possible.
I loved that this shampoo was made from natural ingredients and was soap-free. In fact, if you want the best shampoo for Shih Tzu puppies, this gentle formula is an excellent option and is safe for use in both adult dogs and puppies.
I found this shampoo lathered well, smelt pleasant, and did a good job of cleaning my dogs. I also appreciated the option to buy it in a larger bottle, making it great value.
- Owners generally liked the smell of this shampoo and said it left their dog smelling nice for days after their bath
- Owners liked the natural ingredients of this shampoo, feeling it was high-quality for their dog
- Many owners said this shampoo helped to soothe and condition their dog’s skin and coat, even those who struggle with dry skin or other skin issues
- Owners stated that this shampoo lathered up well and rinsed away easily
- Many said they only needed a small amount of this shampoo for it to be effective, which they felt made it good value for money
- Some owners felt the scent was too strong and stated they would prefer something less overpowering
- Some found the formula of the shampoo didn’t agree with their dog’s skin
- Some said the shampoo can be hard to get out of the bottle, which they found frustrating
- Some owners stated the smell was pleasant, but it didn’t last as long as they expected after their dog’s bath which they were disappointed about
- Some stated this shampoo didn’t condition their dog’s coat as well as they had hoped
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog & Cat Shampoo review
- Best for moisturising
- Natural ingredients
- Soothes and moisturizes dry skin
The Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog & Cat Shampoo is a wonderful, moisturising option, making it great for sensitive skin. In fact, if you’re looking for the best shampoo for Shih Tzus with allergies, this gentle, natural formula could be the best shampoo for you. It’s made specifically to moisturise, heal, and soothe dry, itchy skin.
This natural formula is soap-free and free of any harsh additives to ensure it’s the best possible quality for your pup. I felt this shampoo was high-quality and loved that it was such a gentle formula. I appreciated the option to buy it in a larger bottle for value.
- Many owners said this shampoo was very soothing and moisturising for their dog’s skin, even those with sensitive skin or skin issues
- Most owners said they liked the smell of this shampoo and mentioned that it left their dog smelling pleasant after their bath
- Most owners found this shampoo left their dog’s coat in good condition
- Many said they liked that the ingredients were natural, and they felt it was generally a high-quality shampoo
- Owners generally said the shampoo lathered and rinsed off well
- Some said they appreciated being able to buy this shampoo in a large bottle, feeling it was good value
- Shampoo is a thinner consistency than some other shampoos, which some owners didn’t like
- Some stated the formula of this shampoo didn’t agree with their dog’s sensitive skin
- Some owners found this shampoo didn’t soothe their dog’s skin as well as they’d hoped
- Some owners didn’t like the smell of this shampoo and were unhappy that it lasted for days after their bath
Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner review
- Best for odor control
- Natural ingredients
- Neutralises wide variety of odors
While you’re searching for the best dog shampoo for Shih Tzus, the Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner is a good option to consider. If your dog likes to get dirty on adventures or frequently rolls in things that are, shall we say, less than pleasant, this odor control shampoo could be perfect for you. It’s specifically designed to neutralize odours and deodorize your dog’s coat, leaving them smelling fresh.
I loved that the formula contained lots of natural ingredients. I loved that it was also designed to soothe, moisturize, and condition my dog’s skin and coat. I liked that it was free from hidden nasties and generally felt it was a high-quality shampoo.
- Most owners stated that this shampoo helped to thoroughly clean their dog and eliminate odor, even for those with older dogs or dogs with health issues
- Many owners said they liked the smell of this shampoo, mentioning it was pleasant but not overpowering and that the smell lasted a few days after the bath
- Owners generally found this shampoo was gentle on their dog’s skin, even for those with skin conditions or sensitive skin
- Many said this shampoo left their dog’s coat conditioned, soft, smooth, and tangle-free
- Owners appreciated that this shampoo left their dog smelling fresh with no ‘wet dog’ smell
- Shampoo doesn’t lather up as much as some other shampoos, which some owners didn’t like
- Some stated the shampoo didn’t agree with their dog’s delicate skin
- Some found the shampoo didn’t get rid of their dog’s odor for long and were disappointed with their purchase
- Some owners didn’t like the smell of this shampoo, with some saying it was too overpowering and others saying it didn’t last long after the bath
TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner review
- Best for conditioning
- Shampoo and conditioner in 1
- Botanical conditioners
The TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner is an excellent choice if you want something really conditioning for your dog’s coat. This shampoo is designed not only to clean, but also to moisturise, condition, and detangle your dog’s coat, leaving it in a beautiful condition. The formula is designed to be gentle on your dog’s skin and contains natural ingredients.
I loved that this shampoo contained botanical conditioners to deeply condition my dog’s coat. I felt it left my dog’s coat in good condition and it smelt pleasant. I appreciated that you could buy it in a big bottle for value.
- Most owners found that this shampoo left their dog’s coat soft and in great condition
- Many said that this shampoo got their dog clean, even dogs who regularly go on all sorts of outdoor adventures
- Owners generally felt this shampoo smelt delightful and fresh, without being overpowering
- Some said they didn’t need much of this shampoo to wash their dog, which made the bottle last a long time
- Many said this shampoo formula was gentle on their dog’s skin, even for others with skin issues or sensitive skin
- Despite loving the formula, some owners found that the shampoo bottle was prone to leakage
- Some felt there was little or no scent to this shampoo, which they were disappointed about
- Some found the shampoo didn’t lather well, which meant they had to use more than they would have liked
- Some found the formula didn’t agree with their dog’s skin and caused irritation
Burt’s Bees Tearless Puppy Shampoo with Buttermilk for Dogs review
- Best for Shih Tzu puppies
- Gentle formula
- 97% natural ingredients
If you’re on the hunt for the best puppy shampoo for Shih Tzus, Burt’s Bees Tearless Puppy Shampoo with Buttermilk for Dogs is a fantastic, gentle choice. Made with 97% natural ingredients, with no sulphates or colorants, this gentle shampoo is designed to clean your pup while moisturizing and soothing their skin and coat. The formula even strengthens hair follicles to promote healthy hair growth.
I loved that this shampoo was full of mainly natural ingredients. It smelt pleasant but not overpowering. I felt it was gentle and high-quality for puppies.
- Most owners felt this shampoo was very gentle on their puppy’s skin and coat
- Some found that this shampoo was soothing for their puppy with sensitive, irritated skin
- Many said the shampoo left their puppy smelling nice and natural, without leaving an overpowering scent
- Owners loved that this shampoo was mostly natural and free of harsh chemicals
- Owners generally felt this shampoo left their dog’s coat in great condition
- The shampoo is thinner and more watery than some other formulas, which some owners didn’t like
- Some found this shampoo didn’t lather well, which meant they had to use more shampoo to get their dog clean
- Some didn’t like the lack of strong smell with this shampoo, preferring something with a stronger scent
- Some found that the shampoo formula didn’t agree with their dog’s skin
Things to Look for in a Shampoo for Shih Tzus
When you’re looking for the best shampoo for Shih Tzus, you should keep the following in mind:
High Quality Ingredients
A shampoo made with high-quality ingredients ensures it’s safe and good for your dog’s skin and coat. Natural ingredients are best, as they’re gentle for your dog. The shampoo you choose should ideally be free of soaping agents and PH balanced.
Conditioning for Coat
Since Shih Tzus have a thick coat which is often long, it’s a good idea to choose a shampoo that conditions their coat. Look for natural conditioning ingredients that also promote healthy hair growth.
Moisturizing for Skin
You need to look after your dog’s skin as well as their coat, so it’s important to find a shampoo that will also be soothing and moisturizing for their skin.
Suitable for Lifestage
Ensure you choose a shampoo that’s suitable for your dog’s lifestage. Most dog shampoos are for adult dogs, but some will also be suitable for puppies. You will also find shampoos specifically made for puppies, which are typically gentler for your puppy’s delicate skin and coat.
As well as looking for a low price, high-quality ingredients play a part in the value of a shampoo. Since Shih Tzus need frequent baths, you can keep an eye out for shampoos available in large bottles which can be better value for money in the long term.
Some shampoos have additional features, such as being deodorizing, deshedding, treating fleas and ticks, and so on. Keep an eye out for these features to meet your specific needs.
Shih Tzu Coat Basics
Shih Tzus have a double coat, which means they have 2 layers to their coat: an undercoat and outer coat. These layers help them to regulate their temperature, as well as making them look very cute. Shih Tzus do shed, but their shedding is very minimal
Their coat can be kept long or short, which influences how much maintenance their coat needs. Some people keep their Shih Tzu’s coat long, which makes it very high maintenance, while others prefer to keep it trimmed short so it’s easier to look after.
No matter what length their coat is, your dog needs regular grooming to keep them healthy and looking their best. Regular grooming also provides an opportunity to keep an eye on their health, giving you a chance to spot skin irritations, rashes, lumps, bumps, and biting pests, so you can deal with them quickly. It can also be a great bonding exercise for you and your pup.
How to Bath Your Shih Tzu
You should bathe your Shih Tzu every 3 to 4 weeks to keep their coat clean and healthy. This is especially important if their coat is kept long. If you keep your dog’s coat trimmed shorter, they may need baths slightly less often.
Since they’re a breed which requires frequent baths, it becomes even more important to get them used to baths early on in life. Try to make bath time as fun as possible by giving them lots of breaks, praise, and treats.
Below are some basic bathing tips:
- Have all your supplies ready before you get started to make the process easier.
- Always brush your dog thoroughly before you bath them to ensure they’re free from tangles and mats.
- Since Shih Tzus are so small and may slip in the bath, you can put a towel on the bottom of the bath to stop them slipping around.
- Fully wet their entire body, ensuring they’re wet down to the skin.
- Apply the shampoo with firm, massaging motions so it lathers and reaches their undercoat.
- Clean their face area gently (a soft washcloth can be handy).
- Shih Tzus can be prone to ear infections so try to ensure the water doesn’t get in their ears (covering their ears with your hand or cotton balls can be helpful) .
- Rinse them off thoroughly, as any left-over shampoo can cause irritation. If you’re in doubt, rinse twice.
- Wrap your Shih Tzu in a cosy towel to absorb some of the moisture. When you’re using a towel to dry your pup, use firm dabbing motions and strokes in the direction of their coat. Don’t rub, as this can damage their coat or cause mats.
- You can leave them to air dry, or you can use a dog safe blow drier to dry them off.
- Brush them through again once they’re dry to ensure they’re tangle-free.
Aside from being bathed, Shih Tzus need lots of additional grooming. You should brush your Shih Tzu daily, especially if you keep their coat long. This keeps their coat healthy and mat free.
Their little moustache and facial area need to be combed daily. If their hair is long, the hair should be kept out of their eyes by placing it in a topknot. If their hair is kept short, it should also be kept short and tidy around the eyes.
The area around their eyes should be cleaned daily with a damp cloth or a wipe to prevent irritation and tear stains. Their ears should be cleaned every few weeks. Their nails should be clipped regularly when needed.
You can keep their coat trimmed as short or long as you like: if you feel confident, you can do this at home. If not, you can take your pup to a professional groomer. Their teeth should be regularly cleaned to keep tartar and plaque at bay.
Shampoo for Shih Tzu FAQ
How often should you bathe your Shih Tzu?
You should bathe your Shih Tzu every 3 to 4 weeks to keep their skin and coat clean and healthy.
Whether your best pal loves or hates baths, regular bathing is needed to keep their beautiful coat healthy. The right shampoo can help to keep them in top condition.