There are so many types of dog toy on the market, all with different features, purposes, and materials. Yet a squeaky dog toy remains a firm favorite for most dogs and their owners. Squeaky toys are noisy, enticing, and stimulating, keeping your pup coming back for more! We’ll look at 5 of the best squeaky dog toys, comparing toy type, durability, breed suitability, and entertainment value.
The Best Squeaky Dog Toys
More Detailed Squeaky Dog Toy Reviews
Multipet Lamb Chop Squeaky Plush Dog Toy review
- Best plush toy
- Soft and snuggly
- Squeaky for stimulating playtime
If you’re looking for the best squeaky dog toy, the Multipet Lamb Chop Squeaky Plush Dog Toy is an excellent choice, featuring the well-known Lamb Chop character in a plush, squeaky form. This toy is great for your pup to snuggle up to, as well as for solo and interactive play. Available in 3 different sizes, it’s suitable for all breeds.
Since this toy is plush, it’s not designed to stand up to much chewing although is otherwise durable. I found this toy stood up to light chewing and average play over time. My dogs loved this toy and found it very engaging.
- Many owners said this was their dog’s absolute favorite toy and they couldn’t be without it: they stated they would continue to repurchase when needed
- Owners felt the toy was reasonably durable when used during supervised play or with more gentle dogs
- Many owners found this toy was very soothing and comforting for their dog, saying they slept with it regularly and carried it around the home
- Squeaker makes playtime more exciting and engaging for dogs, with owners saying multiple squeakers in smaller sizes of the toy kept their dog coming back for more
- Owners liked the range of sizes, feeling they were able to get a toy that was comfortable and safe for their dog to play with
- Not designed to stand up to tough chewing, with some owners finding their dog could chew through the toy when left unsupervised
- Some felt that this toy wasn’t as high quality as they expected
- Some stated that the squeakers within the toy were easy for their dog to remove, which they felt was a safety hazard
- Some stated that because the toy is white, it showed dirt and dust quickly, therefore they had to clean the toy more regularly than they would have liked
KONG Squeezz Ball Dog Toy, Color Varies review
- Best ball toy
- Recessed squeaker
- Great for games of fetch
The KONG Squeezz Ball Dog Toy is 1 of the best dog squeaky toys, combining a ball and a squeaky toy for a truly stimulating playtime. The ball provides an erratic bounce when thrown which I found kept my dog active and engaged in games of fetch. A recessed squeaker is both safe and exciting for your pup.
This ball is made from durable rubber, designed to stand up to light to moderate chewing. I particularly liked the fact that the ball continued to squeak even if it’s punctured during rough play. This toy comes in a range of sizes to suit medium to giant breeds.
- Many owners found that this ball was very durable, standing up to their dog’s moderate chewing and rough play
- Owners generally found that their dogs loved this ball and would keep coming back for more during playtime
- Owners said that the ball squeaks loudly, capturing their dog’s attention and getting them excited
- Very bouncy, making games of fetch more exciting for both dogs and owners
- Several owners felt that this ball was high-quality and well-made
- Ridges on the ball can help dogs to grip the ball more firmly with their teeth, making carrying the ball easier and more comfortable
- Rubber material is easy to wipe clean, with owners saying this is a great alternative to tennis balls
- Power chewers can chew through this ball when left unsupervised
- Some found the sizing misleading, ending up with a ball too big or small for their dog to carry comfortably in their mouth
- Some owners found that their dogs weren’t interested in this ball and wouldn’t play with it
- Some found that when the ball was chewed, the squeaker stopped working which they found disappointing
- Some stated that this ball didn’t live up to the quality of other KONG products they had tried
- Seams on the side of the ball pose a weak point where the ball can easily be damaged by chewers
Outward Hound Hide A Squirrel Squeaky Puzzle Plush Dog Toy review
- Best puzzle toy
- Combines squeaky toy and puzzle
- Mentally stimulating
The Outward Hound Hide A Squirrel Squeaky Puzzle Plush Dog Toy is an excellent choice for mental stimulation, combining a plush toy and a puzzle in 1 fun-packed toy. Squeaky squirrels hide in a plush tree trunk which your dog has to pull out with their mouth or dig out with their paws. My dogs loved figuring out how to get to the squirrels and loved playing with them as individual toys once they’d completed the puzzle.
The game can be played as many times as you like and is mentally stimulating for most dogs. While the toy is designed to be durable since it’s plush it won’t stand up to power chewing. The toy is available in a range of sizes to suit all breeds.
- Puzzle aspect of the toy is mentally stimulating, with owners saying it kept their dog entertained and got their mind working
- Owners said their dogs enjoyed playing with the squeaky squirrels individually once they had got them out of the trunk
- Owners said their dogs enjoyed playing with the squeaky squirrels individually once they had got them out of the trunk
- Some owners said that this toy was reasonably durable, especially during supervised play
- Range of sizes means pet parents can find the right sized toy for their dog, allowing them to make the most of playtime
- Not designed to stand up to persistent chewing, with owners saying their dog chewed through the toy quickly when left unsupervised
- Some owners felt that this toy wasn’t good value for money
- Some felt that this toy wasn’t constructed well and wasn’t high-quality
- Some dogs may lose interest in the toy once they have solved the puzzle
- Some owners found the size guide misleading and ended up with a toy the wrong size for their dog
KONG Jumbler Ball Dog Toy, Color Varies review
- Best for large and giant breeds
- Multiple uses
- Durable and long-lasting
The KONG Jumbler Ball Dog Toy provides both physical and mental stimulation for your pup, with an internal tennis ball encased in a big plastic ball with handles. The inner tennis ball rolls around to stimulate your dog’s prey drive and make the game more exciting. The outer ball squeaks to excite your dog even further.
I found that the handles on either side of the ball were easy for me and my dog to grab, making it great for games of tug. It’s also fantastic for games of fetch or solo play for your pup. This toy is designed to be durable and is suitable for medium to giant breeds.
- Very durable, with many owners saying it stood up to their large and giant breed dogs who usually destroy other toys
- Inner ball is very engaging for dogs, keeping their attention for longer during playtime
- Great for both interactive and solo play, with lots of owners saying it was their dog’s favorite toy
- Squeaker excites dogs and keeps them coming back for more during play
- Many said that this toy was high-quality and good value
- 2 handles allow both owner and dog to get a good grip, making the toy great for tug of war
- Some owners found that after a period of regular use their power chewers were able to chew through this toy, especially when left unsupervised
- Some owners said their dog showed no interest in this toy
- Plastic outer ball can melt if left outdoors in the heat for long periods
- Some found that when their dog ripped part of the toy the squeaker stopped working which made the toy less fun
- Some felt this toy wasn’t as high-quality as other KONG products they had tried
ZippyPaws Skinny Peltz No Stuffing Squeaky Plush Dog Toys, 3-pack, Large review
- Best no stuffing toy
- Safer and less mess if destroyed
- Double squeaker for engaging play
The ZippyPaws Skinny Peltz No Stuffing Squeaky Plush Dog Toys provide plenty of squeaky, plushy fun! These cute woodland characters are soft and snuggly, making them great for nap time and providing comfort. 2 squeakers in each toy provide endless hours of entertainment for your pup when they’re ready to play.
Since there are 3 toys in 1 pack, they’re not only great value but also extremely handy if you have a multi-dog household like me! It’s not often I’m able to get an affordable pack of toys with 1 for each of my dogs. I found that my dogs loved these and they lasted a long time.
These toys are designed to be moderately durable and have no stuffing, so if your dog does destroy them during play there’s less mess and less risk. They’re designed for medium breeds but are lightweight and I feel would be suitable for most breeds with supervised play.
- Owners said these toys were soft and cuddly, despite having no stuffing
- Many owners said these were their dog’s favorite toy and they would sleep with them or carry them around the home
- Owners said the squeakers were loud, exciting, and engaging for their dogs
- 3 toys in 1 pack makes these toys great value for money, especially for owners with multiple dogs
- Reasonably durable and long-lasting, especially when played with under supervision
- No stuffing to clean up if your dog does chew up the toy, with many owners saying this was a plus
- Determined chewers can chew up these toys when left unsupervised
- Some owners found the squeaker stopped working after a period of use
- Some found that the toys were smaller than they expected, which was a problem for some large breed owners
- Not as high-quality as some owners had expected, which they found disappointing
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 2 December, 2022
Things to Look for in a Squeaky Dog Toy
It’s important to look for the following to help you choose the best squeaky dog toy for your precious pup:
Choosing a toy made from high-quality materials ensures it’s safer and likely to last longer.
The type of material the toy is made from will be a big factor in how durable it is. If your dog is a small breed and not a rough player, a slightly less durable squeaker toy may be suitable, such as a plush toy. If your dog is a medium or large breed and loves rough play, you’ll need a toy that is durable and sturdy to ensure it can withstand your active play sessions, like a rubber toy.
Squeaky dog toys come in a wide variety of types, for example plush toys, rubber balls, puzzle toys, and treat dispensers. Consider what type of play your dog will find most stimulating and which will suit their play style.
Correct Size for Your Dog
It’s crucial to choose a toy that’s the right size for your dog. Ideally, it should be small and light enough that they can pick it up, carry it, and play with it comfortably. Yet it shouldn’t be so small that it would pose a choking risk or be easily destroyed.
Correct Chew Strength for Your Dog
Check the description to ensure the toy you choose will stand up to your dog’s chew strength. Descriptions will typically state whether toys stand up to light, moderate, or power chewing. Picking a toy with the right chew strength ensures the toy will be long-lasting and safe for your dog.
Physical and Mental Stimulation
Playtime should be physically and mentally stimulating for your dog. Think about what type of play they enjoy and choose a toy that will get them moving and engage their mind.
Why Do Dogs Love Squeaky Toys?
Aside from being just plain fun, there are a few reasons why dogs adore squeaky toys. Firstly, the squeak of toys mimics the sounds of prey your dog’s ancestors would have hunted, so it’s innately programmed into your dog to get excited by the squeak. Some dogs enjoy the squeak of a toy because it attracts their owner’s attention and they know when they squeak the toy, it will likely end up in a fun game.
Research shows that when dogs squeak a toy it releases feel good chemicals in their brain, making them want to repeat that action to get the same pleasure. Dr. McCarthy, founder of the Juniper Valley Animal Hospital in Middle Village, explains: “Several studies have shown that certain sounds like those a squeaky toy makes trigger reward centers in the brain to release the feel-good chemical dopamine—much like a runner’s high”.
Benefits of Play for Your Dog
As well as making your dog feel good, playtime has plenty of benefits for your pup including:
- Improving and maintaining their physical health: Play keeps your dog physically active which keeps their joints, heart, and body healthy. It helps your dog to maintain a healthy weight and contributes to their overall exercise requirements. Play reduces the risk of health conditions later in life and even improves their balance and coordination.
- Enhancing mental health: Play keeps your dog mentally stimulated which improves their focus, memory, and general cognition. It also improves their mental health, ensuring they’re happy and fulfilled. It helps to prevent boredom and even reduces the risk of behavioral issues.
- Bonding: Play strengthens the bond between you and your dog and builds trust. Play can even help your dog build bonds with other dogs and people.
- Training: Playtime offers a fun way to learn new commands, as well as providing an opportunity to improve listening and responding skills.
Playing with your dog is even proven to be great for your own mental health, reducing stress and promoting happiness: so, it’s a win-win!
Squeaky Dog Toy Safety Advice
Always choose a toy of the right chew strength and size for your dog to ensure they’re comfortable and safe during play. Supervised play is best to prevent any potential choking or blockage hazards. Always end playtime and take the toy away from your dog if it breaks.
Squeaky Dog Toy FAQ
Are squeaky toys safe for dogs?
Yes, when you choose a toy of the appropriate size and strength for your dog and supervise play, squeaky toys are perfectly safe for your dog.
Playtime with your best friend is beneficial for you both, not to mention tons of fun! The right squeaky toy can enhance playtime and keep your dog coming back for more.
Lisa Marie Conklin, (2021), “Why Do Dogs Like Squeaky Toys?” Reader’s Digest.
What is the Best Squeaky Dog Toy?
- Top Pick: Multipet Lamb Chop Squeaky Plush Dog Toy
- Second best: KONG Squeezz Ball Dog Toy, Color Varies
- Third best: Outward Hound Hide A Squirrel Squeaky Puzzle Plush Dog Toy
- Recommended: KONG Jumbler Ball Dog Toy, Color Varies
- Recommended: ZippyPaws Skinny Peltz No Stuffing Squeaky Plush Dog Toys, 3-pack, Large