Breed Advisor only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
What is the Best Toy for Beagle?
- Top Pick: KONG Extreme Dog Toy
- Second best: Starmark Treat Dispensing Bob-a-Lot Dog Toy
- Third best: Benebone Bacon Flavor Wishbone Tough Dog Chew Toy
- Recommended: Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy
- Recommended: TRIXIE Activity Flip Board Activity Strategy Game Dog Toy
Comparing the Best Toy for Beagle
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Toys for Beagles
KONG Extreme Dog Toy review
- Best overall
- Can be filled with treats
- Highly durable
When you’re looking for the best dog toy for a Beagle, the KONG Extreme Dog Toy should be at the top of your list. Beagles can be active, tough chewers, and this toy is designed to stand up to the most determined chewers. You can fill it with treats, it can be used as a chew toy, or you can throw it to play fetch (it has a fun bounce due to its unique shape).
Our dogs love their KONGs, they’re a staple in our household, as they are in many dog owner’s homes. I love that they’re so durable and they can keep my dogs busy for long periods of time, especially when they’re filled with dog-safe peanut butter. They are entertaining and can even keep your dog busy while you’re otherwise occupied.
- Most owners said this toy stood up to their tough chewer and was highly durable
- Owners found the toy kept their dog occupied for long periods, especially when filled with treats
- Owners liked that they could freeze the toy with treats inside to make the game last longer
- Owners of all breeds and sizes said their dog loved this toy and it was a staple in their home
- Many owners liked that the toy could be used to play fetch or as a chew toy, as well as for treat dispensing
- Some found this toy was easy to clean and said it could be put in the dishwasher
- Some found that despite the toy being durable, their dog still managed to chew through it, in particular mentioning the narrow top as a weak point
- Some found the sizing confusing and got the wrong sized toy for their dog
- The toy is made from rubber and can smell strongly of rubber at first, which some owners disliked
- Some felt this toy wasn’t good value or as high quality as they expected
Starmark Treat Dispensing Bob-a-Lot Dog Toy review
- Best treat dispensing toy
- Fill with treats or meals
- Engages natural instincts
The Starmark Treat Dispensing Bob-a-Lot Dog Toy is 1 of the best toys for Beagles, using their naturally strong nose and hunting instinct to keep them occupied mentally and physically. You can fill this toy with treats or use it for their usual meal, and it moves and wobbles as your dog figures out how to access their food. It has adjustable openings so you can customize the difficulty level to suit your dog.
I love this toy, as do my dogs: they get very excited when it comes out and they really enjoy using their noses, paws, and mouths to get to the treats inside. I found it was fairly durable and great quality.
- Most owners found that this toy was very physically and mentally stimulating for their dog
- Many found that this toy kept their dog occupied for long periods and even helped to redirect destructive behavior
- Owners liked that they could use this toy at mealtimes to make it more engaging and slow down their dog’s eating
- Owners liked that they could adjust the openings to change the difficulty level
- Many found that this toy was fairly durable, especially when used under supervision
- Many owners of high-energy breeds, like the Beagle, found this toy helped to keep their dog entertained
- Doesn’t stand up to tough chewing, with some owners finding their dog could chew through this toy when left unsupervised, in particular mentioning the yellow top as a weak area
- The bottom is weighted and can be loud on wooden floors as it moves around which some owners didn’t like
- Some found the adjustable holes didn’t work very well or broke after a period of use
- Some found the shape and construction of the toy made it difficult to clean properly
- Some felt the toy didn’t hold as much food as they would have liked
Benebone Bacon Flavor Wishbone Tough Dog Chew Toy review
- Best chew toy
- Durable nylon construction
- Bacon flavor
The Benebone Bacon Flavor Wishbone Tough Dog Chew Toy is a great option if your dog loves a chew toy. Made with durable nylon, it’s designed to stand up to tough chewing. The unique shape makes it easier for your dog to hold onto during chewing, as well as making it more interesting.
I loved that this toy had a bacon flavor, which my dog also seemed to appreciate. My spaniel loves her Benebone, she carries it around with her and it’s lasted for months of regular chewing. A range of sizes are available so you can find something that suits your pup.
- Owners generally found this chew toy was very durable and stood up to tough chewing over time, even with dogs who had previously destroyed other chew toys
- Owners found that the shape of the toy helped their dog to get a good grip during chewing
- Many found that this toy kept their dog occupied for long periods of time
- Many owners said this toy helped to redirect destructive chewing and gave their dog a healthy outlet for their natural behavior
- Many said that this was their dog’s favourite toy, and they would repurchase when needed
- Some owners found their dog simply wasn’t interested in this toy and preferred other styles of chew toy
- Small pieces can be broken off after a period of chewing, which some owners worried was a safety hazard
- Some felt that this toy was too hard for their dog and worried it would be too harsh for their teeth
- Some owners of large breeds with very strong jaws found their dog could destroy this toy quickly
- Some found the sizing confusing and got a toy that was too big and bulky for their dog
Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy review
- Best ball toy
- High bounce
- Very durable
If your dog loves to play fetch, the Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy is the perfect choice. These balls are highly durable, made with a thick rubber core to stand up to average chewing and rough play over time. The bright colors make them easy to find when needed and they have a great bounce.
My dogs love these balls and they’ve lasted us months of regular play. I love that they float so you can even play with them in water. I also find it really handy that they’re easy to wipe clean, unlike tennis balls which attract dirt and drool.
- Most owners said these balls were very durable and even stood up to chewing, even with dogs who had previously destroyed other balls
- Owners felt that getting 2 balls in a pack was great value
- Owners loved that these balls were so bouncy, feeling they were very engaging for their dog
- Many liked that the balls floated, allowing them to play with their dog anywhere
- Owners liked that the ball was free of fuzz unlike on tennis balls, making them easier to clean and preventing their dog from chewing off the outer fuzz
- Many said that these balls were their dog’s favourite toy, and they would choose them over others on offer
- Some determined, tough chewers were able to chew through these balls
- Some found they couldn’t get the right size for their dog and wished there were a wider variety of sizes on offer
- Some felt the sizing was misleading and got a ball that was too small for their dog
- Some owners felt that the balls weren’t worth the price
TRIXIE Activity Flip Board Activity Strategy Game Dog Toy review
- Best puzzle toy
- Mentally stimulating
- Intermediate level
If you want the best puzzle toy for a Beagle, the TRIXIE Activity Flip Board Activity Strategy Game Dog Toy is a great choice to engage their mind. Fill the puzzle with treats and your dog has to use their paws, nose, and mouth to access them. There are 3 different compartment types to keep your dog interested, and the puzzle is an intermediate level.
I loved that this puzzle really engaged my dog’s mind and liked that I could vary the placement of the treats to make it more or less difficult. The bottom has rubber feet to stop it slipping around while your dog is playing. It’s even dishwasher safe to make cleaning easy.
- Many owners found this toy very mentally engaging for their dog
- Owners found that when this toy was filled with treats it kept their dog occupied for long periods
- Owners said this toy was fairly durable for a puzzle toy when used for supervised play as recommended
- Many liked that the puzzle was challenging but not so challenging that their dog got frustrated or bored
- Many owners said their dog loved this puzzle toy and would get very excited during play
- Must be used under supervision: has loose pieces and isn’t designed to be chewed
- Some owners found that their dog got bored with the puzzle once they had figured it out the first time
- Some felt this puzzle was too easy for their dog and would have preferred something more challenging
- Some owners of large breed dogs felt the puzzle was too small and delicate for their dog
- Some didn’t like that the toy wasn’t very durable and could break easily with rough play
Things to Look for in a Toy for a Beagle
You can look for the following to help you choose the best toy for a Beagle:
There are lots of different types of toys on the market, so take your time to consider what type of play your dog enjoys. If they like games of fetch, a ball toy may be best; if they prefer something to chew on, a durable chew toy will keep them busy; or if they enjoy a challenge, a treat dispenser or puzzle toy is a great choice. Don’t be afraid to engage your dog in more than 1 type of play to keep things interesting for them.
Physical and Mental Stimulation
Play needs to engage your dog either physically or mentally, or ideally in both ways. Look for toys that will get their mind working and get their body moving.
High Quality Materials
A toy made from high-quality materials is more likely to stand up to wear well, be safe for your pup, and ensure your dog gets the best toy possible.
Beagles can be rough players so it’s important you choose a toy that’s durable. High-quality materials will play a big part in the toy’s durability. You can also look for indicators of chew strength and check the reviews for guidance.
Your dog is going to get their toys dirty: that’s undeniable. So, choosing a toy that’s easy to clean makes your life easier. Some may wipe down easily and others may go in the dishwasher or washing machine (depending on the type of toy).
Correct Size and Strength for Your Dog
You need a toy that’s the correct size for your pup, so they can fit in their mouth comfortably and play with it properly. There are 2 sizes of Beagle, so take your time to figure out which sized toy will work best for your dog. Check the size guide and if you’re unsure, you can compare it to toys they already own.
Toys will also have varying chew strengths, which should be indicated in the toy’s description. Beagles are typically tough chewers and have sharp teeth, so choose a toy that stands up to tough chewing or that will be played with under supervision.
The Importance of Play for Your Beagle
Play isn’t just fun for your Beagle, there are lots of health benefits to playtime too. Benefits of play include:
- Keeping your dog active, which improves their physical health and reduces the risk of health issues later in life
- Strengthening your dog’s muscles, bones, and joints
- Improving your pup’s agility and flexibility
- Burning energy to help them be happier and calmer
- Helping your pup stay at a healthy weight (Beagles can be prone to weight gain so this is really important)
- Preventing boredom and reducing destructive behaviors
- Engaging their mind which improves their cognitive function
- Allowing them to use their natural instincts
- Building their confidence
- Helping to deepen their bond with you
- Improving their social skills with humans and other dogs
- Teaching them to listen and respond, which can help with training
Playing with your dog is also great for you: not only is it fun, but it can also reduce stress, keep you active, and allow you to feel closer to your furbaby.
Tips for Playing with Your Beagle
Playing with your Beagle will probably come naturally but here are some tips to guide you:
- When introducing a toy, always supervise play for their safety
- Show them the toy and how it works, then step back and let them investigate
- Encourage them gently where needed until they figure out how to play
- Get involved in interactive play with your pup where possible
- Use playtime as an opportunity to work on training: this engages their mind further and helps with their training moving forward
- Give them plenty of praise and encouragement: remember to keep things positive and light
- Let them lead the way: they’ll let you know if they’ve had enough or aren’t enjoying a certain toy
- Switch up toys in the home regularly so they don’t get bored
- Take breaks for water and rest, and keep an eye on your pup for signs of overexertion
- Set boundaries: if your dog misbehaves or displays inappropriate behavior such as hard biting, end the game
Toy Safety Advice
Always ensure the toy is the right size and chew strength for your dog for their safety. Playtime should be supervised, especially with a new toy to ensure there’s no choking or blockage risks if your dog destroys the toy.
Toys for Beagles FAQ
What kind of toys are best for Beagles?
Beagles are intelligent, high-energy dogs so they will typically enjoy toys that are both physically and mentally stimulating.
How can you keep your Beagle entertained?
Ensure your Beagle gets daily walks; introduce training sessions to engage their mind; and make playtime a part of their routine.
The right toy can help to engage your Beagle’s mind and burn off some of that energy. You’ll both enjoy playtime together, having time to bond and enjoy interacting with each other!