Things to Look for in a Toy for a French Bulldog
When you’re looking for the best toy for a French Bulldog, it’s a good idea to look for the following:
There are so many different types of toys on the market. Consider how your dog likes to play: do they prefer fetch, tug, solo play, or games that really get their mind working?
Choose a toy that will best fit your dog’s preferences. If you aren’t sure what they like, you can try a few different types until you figure out what really gets them excited.
Choosing a toy made from high-quality materials means it’s more likely to last longer and be safer for your pup. Plus, we all like to make sure our dog is getting the best quality possible!
Easy to Clean
Dogs get their toys dirty, there’s no denying it. Since Frenchie’s have that adorable wide mouth, they can often drool a lot on their toys. So, choosing a toy that’s easy to clean will make your life easier.
Some will be able to be popped in the dishwasher or the washing machine, while others will easily wipe clean.
Mental and Physical Stimulation
Play time is all about engaging your dog both physically and mentally, so choose a toy that has plenty of features to really get your dog moving or get their mind working.
Correct Size for Your Dog
You need a toy that’s the right size for your Frenchie’s little mouth. A toy that’s too little can be a choking hazard, while 1 that’s too big may mean they can’t play with it properly. A toy of the right size means they can carry it in their mouth comfortably and play safely.
Check the size guide carefully for guidance, and you can compare the size to your dog’s existing toys for extra help. It’s always a good idea to check out the reviews too.
You want the toy you buy your dog to last and stand up to playtime, so look for signs of durability such as strong materials. Look for an indication of the chew strength of the toy, and check out reviews to see how well it lasts.
The Benefits of Play for Your French Bulldog
Playtime isn’t just for fun (although it’s great fun for both you and your dog), it has also has a ton of benefits for your Frenchie including:
- Providing exercise which improves overall health and reduces the risk of health issues later in life
- Improving your dog’s flexibility and agility
- Strengthening your dog’s muscles, joints, and bones
- Helping your dog to maintain a healthy weight
- Getting your dog’s mind working and keeping them mentally engaged, which also improves their cognitive function
- Tackling boredom and reducing the risk of destructive behaviors
- Deepening the bond between you and your dog, including building trust
- Building your dog’s confidence
- Teaching your dog to listen and respond to you, which can help with training
- Improving your dog’s social skills, both with humans and other dogs
- Providing your dog with a healthy outlet for their natural instincts
Playing with your dog is also great for your own health, helping you to keep active and reducing stress!
Tips for Playing With Your French Bulldog
Here are a few tips for playing with your Frenchie:
- Allow them to investigate and lead the way: they’ll show you what they’re interested in
- Encourage them gently and get involved in playtime together
- If it’s a new toy, show your pup how it works and praise them when they get it right
- Since your pup is a brachycephalic breed (meaning they have a short snout), they can find it hard to breathe and may overheat easily. Keep a close eye on them during playtime for signs of struggle, and offer plenty of rest breaks.
- Change up the toys on offer in the home to keep things exciting. Frenchies are intelligent so you need to keep their attention.
- Set clear boundaries: if your dog bites or acts in a way that isn’t appropriate, end the game.
- Try to incorporate training commands into games where possible (like sit and stay), as this is a great way to add extra mental stimulation for your dog
- If your dog doesn’t like a certain toy or game, don’t try to push it too much, move on to something else.
Toy Safety Advice
Ensure the toy you choose is the correct size and chew strength for your dog. Play should always be supervised, especially with a new toy, to ensure there’s no choking or blockage hazards if your dog destroys the toy.
French Bulldog Toys FAQ
What type of toys do French Bulldogs like?
Every dog is different, so experiment to figure out what types of toy and play your dog prefers.
Playing with your dog keeps them healthy and happy. The right toy can make playtime safe and fun for both of you.