French Bulldogs are adorable little dogs, full of character and energy. They are curious, playful, and intelligent. Playtime gives them an opportunity to have fun and engage with you, and the right toy is a big part of that. We’ll take a look at 5 toys, comparing toy type, mental and physical stimulation, and durability.
The Best Toys for French Bulldogs
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Toys for French Bulldogs
Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy review
- Best ball toy
- Great for fetch
- Very bouncy
When you’re on the hunt for the best toy for French Bulldogs, you should consider the Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy. They’re extremely bouncy, making them great for games of fetch, and they can even be used in water! They can be used with the Chuckit! launcher or simply thrown.
The bright colors mean they’re less likely to get lost, which is especially help if your dog is like mine (she tends to get distracted and forgets to bring the ball back). My dogs love these balls and get very excited when it’s playtime. I like that they’re tough so they don’t get destroyed easily if your dog chews them.
- Most owners found these balls were highly durable, standing up to tough chewers and even lasting a long time with dogs who usually destroy their toys
- Can be played with on land or in water, with owners saying they loved that the balls float
- Owners appreciated the bright colours, allowing them to find the ball easily if their dog didn’t bring it back
- Owners loved that these balls have such a high bounce, making playtime more engaging for their dog
- Owners liked that the balls came in a pack of 2, which they felt was great value
- Rubber outer layer of the ball makes it easier to keep clean and doesn’t pick up snow, mud, or dirt as much as tennis balls
- Available to buy in a small size, which owners of small dogs appreciated as they could get a ball the right size for their dog
- Some owners, particularly those of large breeds or tough chewers, found their dog could chew through this ball when left unsupervised
- Some felt these balls weren’t high-quality and therefore, weren’t good value
- Some owners of large breeds found the balls were too small for their dog
- Some found the balls had a synthetic or unpleasant smell on arrival
- Some found their dog didn’t like these balls as much as others they’d tried
KONG Classic Dog Toy review
- Best treat dispensing toy
- Fill with spreadable or solid treats
- Bounces for games of fetch
The KONG Classic Dog Toy is well known for a reason: it can be filled with treats to keep your dog occupied and engage their mind, or it can be used for games of fetch (it has an erratic bounce due to its unique shape). It even stands up to average chewing. It provides both physical and mental stimulation and is a great way to keep your dog busy when they’re home alone or if you’re otherwise occupied.
Our dogs love their KONGs, especially when they’re filled with dog-safe peanut butter. I love that they’re so durable and can be used for individual or interactive play. They come in a range of sizes so you can find something suitable for your Frenchie.
- Owners liked that this toy can be used as a treat dispenser or to play fetch
- Most owners found that when paired with treats, the KONG kept their dog engaged for long periods of time
- Many found that this toy was highly durable, even standing up to tough chewing over time
- Owners liked that they could freeze the KONG with treats inside to increase mental stimulation and keep their dog occupied for longer
- Owners appreciated the variety of sizes so they could get a KONG that was the right size for their dog
- Some found their power chewer could chew through this KONG and were disappointed with their purchase
- Some found the sizing confusing and struggled to choose the right size for their dog, with many saying the KONG was smaller than they expected
- Can smell like rubber upon arrival, which some owners didn’t like
- Some owners found their dog simply didn’t like this toy and preferred others
Nylabone DuraChew Dental Chew Chicken Flavored Dinosaur Dog Chew Toy review
- Best chew toy
- Chicken flavor
- Cleans teeth during chewing
If you want the best chew toy for a French Bulldog, the Nylabone DuraChew Dental Chew Chicken Flavored Dinosaur Dog Chew Toy is an excellent choice. The small size is perfect for little mouths, and they’re designed to stand up to tough chewing, keeping your dog occupied for hours. The chicken flavor will keep your pup coming back for more.
I loved that this chew came in such fun shapes, which I felt helped with the mental stimulation for my dog. I like that the raised nubs helped to clean my dog’s teeth and stimulate their gums as they chewed. Overall, I felt this was a great quality chew toy.
- Many said their dog absolutely loved this chew toy and they would choose it over other toys on offer
- Owners typically found this chew toy kept their dog engaged for long periods of time, providing plenty of mental stimulation
- Most owners found that this toy was highly durable, standing up to tough chewing over time
- Owners of small dogs liked that they could get a chew toy that was a small enough size for their dog to chew comfortably
- Owners liked that the raised nubs cleaned their dog’s teeth while they chewed
- Owners found this toy helped to redirect destructive chewing
- Some felt that the unique shape kept their dog interested in the toy for longer
- Some owners, especially those with larger dogs who are power chewers, found this toy wasn’t as durable as they hoped
- Some felt that this chew was too hard and solid for their dog
- Some found that their dog didn’t like this chew toy and wouldn’t play with it
- Some found that small pieces of plastic would break off as their dog chewed or that the chewed area would become sharp, which they worried was a safety hazard
TRIXIE Activity Flip Board Activity Strategy Game Dog Toy review
- Best puzzle toy
- Plenty of mental stimulation
- Intermediate level
The TRIXIE Activity Flip Board Activity Strategy Game Dog Toy is 1 of the best puzzle toys for French Bulldogs, designed to really engage your dog’s mind. You simply hide treats in the compartments and your dog has to figure out how to access them. This puzzle toy is at the intermediate level, with 3 different types of compartments to figure out.
I found this puzzle toy really got my dog’s minds working and I liked that I could vary the placement of treats to adjust the difficulty to suit each 1 of my dogs. I appreciated the non-slip rubber feet which helped to keep the toy still during playtime. I also liked that it was dishwasher safe, making cleaning much easier.
- Many owners found this puzzle was very mentally engaging for their dog
- Owners generally found this puzzle kept their dog occupied for long periods, especially when combined with their favorite treats
- Many said that their dog absolutely loved this puzzle toy and would get very excited when their owner brought it out
- Owners found that this toy was fairly durable when used supervised as recommended
- Owners liked that the puzzle was engaging but not so challenging that their dog got frustrated
- Has loose pieces and isn’t designed to be chewed: must be used under supervision
- Some owners found that once their dog figured out the puzzle, they didn’t find it as engaging
- Some felt the level of this puzzle was too easy for their dog and would have preferred something harder
- Some found this puzzle wasn’t as durable as they expected and would break easily with rough play
- Some owners of large dogs felt this puzzle was too small and not strong enough for their dog, stating it’s better suited to smaller breeds
KONG Cozie Marvin the Moose Plush Dog Toy review
- Best plush toy
- Extra layer for durability
- Minimal filling
If your Frenchie loves a plush toy, the KONG Cozie Marvin the Moose Plush Dog Toy is a great choice. This cute moose toy is soft and snuggling, yet also constructed with an extra layer of material to make it tougher than many plush toys. It’s perfect to snuggle up to for nap time or to play fetch with.
I loved that this plush toy also squeaked to really engage my dogs in play. I appreciated that it came in 2 sizes: small and medium, so I could find the perfect size for my dogs. It even has minimal filling, so if your dog tends to destroy toys, it means less mess for you!
- Many owners found that this toy was very durable, especially for a plush toy, even standing up to wear with dogs who tend to destroy their toys
- Most owners found that their dog loved this toy, finding they would choose it to nap with or to bring to their owners for playtime
- Owners loved that this toy had a squeaker, feeling it made playtime more exciting for their dog
- Many said this was their dog’s comfort toy and they would carry it around the house at all times
- Many said this toy stood up to the washing process well and didn’t wear too much
- Owners liked that this was available in a small enough size for their small breed dog
- Since it’s a plush toy, it isn’t as durable as other types of toys, with some owners finding their dog could easily chew up this toy
- Some found the squeaker stopped working after a short period of play
- Some found that the fur came loose quite easily and shed, and they were concerned their dog would ingest it
- Some owners found this toy wasn’t as high-quality or durable as they hoped
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 4 October, 2022
Things to Look for in a Toy for a French Bulldog
When you’re looking for the best toy for a French Bulldog, it’s a good idea to look for the following:
There are so many different types of toys on the market. Consider how your dog likes to play: do they prefer fetch, tug, solo play, or games that really get their mind working?
Choose a toy that will best fit your dog’s preferences. If you aren’t sure what they like, you can try a few different types until you figure out what really gets them excited.
Choosing a toy made from high-quality materials means it’s more likely to last longer and be safer for your pup. Plus, we all like to make sure our dog is getting the best quality possible!
Easy to Clean
Dogs get their toys dirty, there’s no denying it. Since Frenchie’s have that adorable wide mouth, they can often drool a lot on their toys. So, choosing a toy that’s easy to clean will make your life easier.
Some will be able to be popped in the dishwasher or the washing machine, while others will easily wipe clean.
Mental and Physical Stimulation
Play time is all about engaging your dog both physically and mentally, so choose a toy that has plenty of features to really get your dog moving or get their mind working.
Correct Size for Your Dog
You need a toy that’s the right size for your Frenchie’s little mouth. A toy that’s too little can be a choking hazard, while 1 that’s too big may mean they can’t play with it properly. A toy of the right size means they can carry it in their mouth comfortably and play safely.
Check the size guide carefully for guidance, and you can compare the size to your dog’s existing toys for extra help. It’s always a good idea to check out the reviews too.
You want the toy you buy your dog to last and stand up to playtime, so look for signs of durability such as strong materials. Look for an indication of the chew strength of the toy, and check out reviews to see how well it lasts.
The Benefits of Play for Your French Bulldog
Playtime isn’t just for fun (although it’s great fun for both you and your dog), it has also has a ton of benefits for your Frenchie including:
- Providing exercise which improves overall health and reduces the risk of health issues later in life
- Improving your dog’s flexibility and agility
- Strengthening your dog’s muscles, joints, and bones
- Helping your dog to maintain a healthy weight
- Getting your dog’s mind working and keeping them mentally engaged, which also improves their cognitive function
- Tackling boredom and reducing the risk of destructive behaviors
- Deepening the bond between you and your dog, including building trust
- Building your dog’s confidence
- Teaching your dog to listen and respond to you, which can help with training
- Improving your dog’s social skills, both with humans and other dogs
- Providing your dog with a healthy outlet for their natural instincts
Playing with your dog is also great for your own health, helping you to keep active and reducing stress!
Tips for Playing With Your French Bulldog
Here are a few tips for playing with your Frenchie:
- Allow them to investigate and lead the way: they’ll show you what they’re interested in
- Encourage them gently and get involved in playtime together
- If it’s a new toy, show your pup how it works and praise them when they get it right
- Since your pup is a brachycephalic breed (meaning they have a short snout), they can find it hard to breathe and may overheat easily. Keep a close eye on them during playtime for signs of struggle, and offer plenty of rest breaks.
- Change up the toys on offer in the home to keep things exciting. Frenchies are intelligent so you need to keep their attention.
- Set clear boundaries: if your dog bites or acts in a way that isn’t appropriate, end the game.
- Try to incorporate training commands into games where possible (like sit and stay), as this is a great way to add extra mental stimulation for your dog
- If your dog doesn’t like a certain toy or game, don’t try to push it too much, move on to something else.
Toy Safety Advice
Ensure the toy you choose is the correct size and chew strength for your dog. Play should always be supervised, especially with a new toy, to ensure there’s no choking or blockage hazards if your dog destroys the toy.
French Bulldog Toys FAQ
What type of toys do French Bulldogs like?
Every dog is different, so experiment to figure out what types of toy and play your dog prefers.
Playing with your dog keeps them healthy and happy. The right toy can make playtime safe and fun for both of you.
What is the Best Toy for French Bulldogs?
- Top Pick: Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy
- Second best: KONG Classic Dog Toy
- Third best: Nylabone DuraChew Dental Chew Chicken Flavored Dinosaur Dog Chew Toy
- Recommended: TRIXIE Activity Flip Board Activity Strategy Game Dog Toy
- Recommended: KONG Cozie Marvin the Moose Plush Dog Toy