Things to Look for in a Toy for a Goldendoodle
When you’re looking for the best toy for Goldendoodles, you can look for the following to guide you:
Type of Toy
There are lots of types of toys on the market which means that you can find something that suits your dog. Think about what type of play your dog enjoys and what the purpose of the toy is. For example, if you want to keep them occupied while you’re busy, a chew toy or treat dispenser may be best, or if you want to play interactively with them, a ball or tug toy could be the best choice.
Physical and Mental Stimulation
The best type of toy will engage your dog’s mind and get their body moving, so look for features that provide this stimulation. For example, treat dispensers encourage your dog to use their natural instincts and use their nose, mouth, and paws to get at the treats, making them highly stimulating.
A toy made from high-quality materials is likely to last longer, stand up to wear, and be safer for your pup.
Since Goldendoodles are typically large breeds with powerful jaws, it’s important that the toy you choose is durable so it lasts. Look for strong materials and toys designed for tough chewers. You can also check the reviews for indicators of durability.
Correct Size for Your Dog
Choosing a toy that’s the right size allows your dog to play with their toy comfortably and safely. A toy that’s too small can pose a choking hazard or not be durable enough, while a toy that’s too large may be difficult for them to play with. Check the size guide carefully and you can compare the toy you’re considering to other toys your dog has for guidance.
There’s no denying that your dog is going to get their toy dirty: there’s drool, mud, dog hair, and all sorts of other dirt to content with. So, a toy that’s easy to clean will make your life easier. Some will wipe down easily while others can be popped in the dishwasher or washing machine for convenience.
The Benefits of Play for Your Goldendoodle
Playtime has so many benefits for your dog including:
- Keeping them active, which reduces the risk of health issues
- Engaging their mind which improves cognitive function
- Preventing boredom and reducing the risk of destructive behaviors
- Improving their agility, flexibility, and reflexes
- Burning energy to help them be happier and calmer
- Giving them an outlet for their natural instincts
- Building their confidence and encouraging them to explore the world around them
- Improving their social skills with humans and other dogs, including strengthening their bond with you
- Teaching them to listen and respond, which can help with training
Apart from all those benefits, playtime is also just really fun for your dog, and for you!
Tips for Playing With Your Goldendoodle
Playing with your pup will likely come naturally to you, but if you’re new to owing a dog here are some tips to guide you:
- With any new toy, supervise play and show them how to use the toy
- Be patient, step back, and allow them to investigate the toy (offer gentle encouragement when needed)
- Get involved in interactive play with them when possible
- Let them lead: they’ll let you know when they’re tired or have had enough of playtime
- You can use playtime as an opportunity to practice training commands (keep things light and fun)
- Take breaks to allow your pup to rest and drink some water, keeping a close eye out for signs of over-exertion
- Set boundaries: if your dog misbehaves or bites inappropriately, end playtime
Toy Safety Advice
Ensure the toy is the right size and chew strength for your dog’s safety. Always supervise play when they’re playing with a new toy. If the toy breaks, take it away for your dog’s safety.
Goldendoodle Toy FAQs
How do you keep your Goldendoodle entertained?
Plenty of exercise, along with training and playtime will keep your Goldendoodle entertained.
Are Goldendoodles strong chewers?
Yes, Doodles are typically tough chewers so need durable toys.
What do Goldendoodles like to play?
Every dog is different and will have different preferences, so take your time to introduce different toys and see what engages them the most.
Playtime is fun for both you and your dog, and the right toy can provide hours of entertainment. With so many toys available, you’re bound to find something that your dog loves!