The loveable Goldendoodle is a cross between a Golden Retriever and a Standard Poodle. They’re typically large dogs (although this depends on their genetics), with lots of energy and a love of life. They need a lot of exercise and stimulation to keep them happy, and playtime is a big part of that. We’ll take a look at 5 toys that are suited to a Goldendoodle, comparing toy type, durability, and entertainment value.
The Best Toys for Goldendoodles
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Toys for Goldendoodles
KONG Jumbler Ball Dog Toy review
- Best for interactive play
- 2 handles for tug
- Inner tennis ball
The KONG Jumbler Ball Dog Toy should be at the top of your list when you’re looking for the best toy for a Goldendoodle, as it’s highly stimulating and durable. The large outer rubber ball has 2 handles, allowing both you and your dog to get a good grip which makes it perfect for interactive play. Inside the rubber ball is a tennis ball, which moves around as you play to further excite your dog.
The ball squeaks to engage your dog and is both mentally and physically stimulating. I love that this ball is so durable and is designed to stand up to tough chewing. It’s also available in 2 sizes so you can get the right size for your pup.
- Most owners found this toy was highly durable, with some even saying it stood up to their large or giant breed who has previously destroyed other toys
- Squeaker and inner tennis ball is very engaging for dogs
- Many owners stated this toy was great for both interactive and solo play
- 2 handles allow both owner and dog (or 2 dogs) to get a good grip, making it perfect for games of tug
- Many owners said this toy was their dog’s favorite and they’d choose it over others
- Owners typically felt this toy was high-quality and they were pleased with their purchase
- Some owners found that their tough chewer was able to chew through this toy
- Plastic outer ball can melt if left outside in hot temperatures, which some owners found frustrating
- Squeaker can stop working when outer ball is ripped, which owners said ended playtime
- Some said their dog wasn’t interested in this toy and wouldn’t play with it
- Some felt this toy wasn’t as durable or high-quality as other KONG products
KONG Extreme Dog Toy review
- Best treat dispensing toy
- Fill with solid or spreadable treats
- Stands up to tough chewing
The well-known KONG is a staple in many dog owner’s homes (including mine), and the extreme version is an excellent choice for tough chewers. The KONG Extreme Dog Toy is made from ultra-durable, all-natural rubber, designed to stand up to the toughest of chewers. It can be used as a chew toy and can be filled with treats to be used as a treat dispenser, which makes playtime even more exciting.
I love that the KONG has such a unique shape which gives it an interesting bounce, so you can even use it for games of fetch. You can fill it with solid or spreadable treats and can even freeze it with treats inside to make playtime last longer. My dogs love their KONGs: they’ve lasted for months and keep them entertained for long periods.
- Most people found that this toy was highly durable and stood up to tough chewing over time, even with large breeds with powerful jaws
- Owners found that filling with the toy with treats kept their dog occupied for long periods and was mentally stimulating for their dog
- Can be put in the freezer with treats inside, which owners found made playtime last longer
- Unique bounce means it can be used for games of fetch as well as for chewing and treat dispensing, which owners appreciated
- Many owners said that this toy was a favorite in their home
- Some said this toy was easy to clean, mentioning they could put it in the dishwasher
- Some found the toy didn’t stand up to tough chewing for as long as they expected
- Narrow top is weaker than the rest of the toy, with some owners finding it allowed their dog to chew through the toy
- Some owners found the sizing confusing and couldn’t get the right sized toy for their dog
- Can have a strong rubber smell at first which some owners found off-putting
Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy review
- Best ball toy
- High bounce
- Very durable
If you want the best ball for Goldendoodles, you should consider the Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy. Made from tough rubber with an extra thick core, these balls are highly durable and stand up to tough chewing. They have a really fun bounce to engage your dog and they even float, so you can play with your pup in water too (since they’re mixed from 2 water-loving dogs, your Doodle will likely love to swim).
I loved that these balls were so durable and so far, ours have lasted almost a year. I like that you get 2 in a pack in case you lose 1, and the colors are bright to help you find them if your dog gets distracted. They’re even compatible with the Chuckit! Launchers if you really want to up your fetch game.
- Owners typically found that these balls were very durable
- Owners found these balls lasted for months of rough play and tough chewing, even when other balls had been destroyed
- Owners liked that the balls were so bouncy, which they felt made games of fetch more exciting for their dog
- Many felt that getting 2 balls in a pack was very handy and great value
- Free of outer fuzz unlike tennis balls, which owners felt was more hygienic, easier to clean, and prevented their dog from eating bits of fuzz as they had with other balls
- Owners liked that the balls floated, meaning they could play with their dog in any environment
- Many said that these balls were their dog’s favorite toy, and they would choose them over other toys
- Some owners said they wished there were a wider range of sizes available, stating they struggled to find the right sized toy for their dog
- Some found their dog could chew through these balls after a brief period
- Some felt the price was too high for these balls, saying they weren’t good value for money
Benebone Bacon Flavor Wishbone Tough Dog Chew Toy review
- Best chew toy
- Real bacon flavor
- Durable nylon construction
If your Goldendoodle loves a chew toy, the Benebone Bacon Flavor Wishbone Tough Dog Chew Toy is a great choice, providing hours of chewing fun. Made from highly durable nylon, this toy is designed to stand up to tough chewing and last over time. The wishbone shape makes it easier for your dog to hold, as well as making chew time more exciting.
It’s even flavored throughout with real bacon to keep your dog coming back for more. My dog loved this chew toy and it’s lasted months of regular chewing. As an added bonus, a portion of all Benebone sales are donated to animal support organizations, so you can feel even better about your purchase.
- Most owners found that this toy was very durable, with many saying it stood up to their large breed, power chewer even when other toys had failed
- Owners typically found this toy lasted for weeks and months of tough chewing
- Many found that this toy helped to redirect destructive chewing and was even helpful for puppies during teething
- Many owners said this toy kept their dog occupied and mentally stimulated for long periods of time
- Owners felt that the bacon flavor appealed to their dog and kept them coming back for more
- Many said that this was their dog’s favorite toy, and said they would repurchase when needed
- Some felt this toy was too hard for their dog’s teeth and were worried it would hurt their teeth or gums
- Some felt this toy was too big and heavy for their dog to play with, especially for small breed dogs
- Some owners found their dog wasn’t interested in this chew toy and wouldn’t play with it
- Small pieces can break off during chewing, which some owners worried was a safety hazard
- Can become sharp after a period of chewing, with some owners recommending sanding or filing down the edges
ZippyPaws Skinny Peltz No Stuffing Squeaky Plush Dog Toys review
- Best plush toy
- 3 in a pack
If your dog loves a plush toy to play with, the ZippyPaws Skinny Peltz No Stuffing Squeaky Plush Dog Toys could be the best choice for you. You get 3 cute, plush woodland creatures for your dog to play with or snuggle. Since Doodles can be tough chewers and are prone to destroying toys, it’s especially handy that they’re free of stuffing to make playtime safer, and to make cleaning up easy for you.
You get 3 toys in a pack, so if your dog does destroy 1, you still have spares. Each toy contains 2 squeakers to make playtime even more stimulating. I loved this pack of toys, feeling they were great value, well made, and very cute for my dogs.
- Owners liked that there was no stuffing in these toys, feeling they were safer for their dog and easy to clean up
- Many said that these toys were soft and cuddly even though they had no stuffing
- Owners said the 2 squeakers may playtime engaging for their dog
- Many said that these were their dogs favorite toy, and they would carry them around as well as play with them
- Owners felt that getting 3 in a pack made them great value and handy, especially for those with multi-dog households
- Reasonably durable for a plush toy, especially when played with under supervision
- Tough chewers can chew up these plush toys when left unsupervised
- Some found that the toys were smaller than expected and were disappointed, in particular those with very large or giant breeds
- Some found the squeaker would stop working after a period of use
- Some owners said these toys weren’t as high-quality as they expected
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Things to Look for in a Toy for a Goldendoodle
When you’re looking for the best toy for Goldendoodles, you can look for the following to guide you:
Type of Toy
There are lots of types of toys on the market which means that you can find something that suits your dog. Think about what type of play your dog enjoys and what the purpose of the toy is. For example, if you want to keep them occupied while you’re busy, a chew toy or treat dispenser may be best, or if you want to play interactively with them, a ball or tug toy could be the best choice.
Physical and Mental Stimulation
The best type of toy will engage your dog’s mind and get their body moving, so look for features that provide this stimulation. For example, treat dispensers encourage your dog to use their natural instincts and use their nose, mouth, and paws to get at the treats, making them highly stimulating.
A toy made from high-quality materials is likely to last longer, stand up to wear, and be safer for your pup.
Since Goldendoodles are typically large breeds with powerful jaws, it’s important that the toy you choose is durable so it lasts. Look for strong materials and toys designed for tough chewers. You can also check the reviews for indicators of durability.
Correct Size for Your Dog
Choosing a toy that’s the right size allows your dog to play with their toy comfortably and safely. A toy that’s too small can pose a choking hazard or not be durable enough, while a toy that’s too large may be difficult for them to play with. Check the size guide carefully and you can compare the toy you’re considering to other toys your dog has for guidance.
There’s no denying that your dog is going to get their toy dirty: there’s drool, mud, dog hair, and all sorts of other dirt to content with. So, a toy that’s easy to clean will make your life easier. Some will wipe down easily while others can be popped in the dishwasher or washing machine for convenience.
The Benefits of Play for Your Goldendoodle
Playtime has so many benefits for your dog including:
- Keeping them active, which reduces the risk of health issues
- Engaging their mind which improves cognitive function
- Preventing boredom and reducing the risk of destructive behaviors
- Improving their agility, flexibility, and reflexes
- Burning energy to help them be happier and calmer
- Giving them an outlet for their natural instincts
- Building their confidence and encouraging them to explore the world around them
- Improving their social skills with humans and other dogs, including strengthening their bond with you
- Teaching them to listen and respond, which can help with training
Apart from all those benefits, playtime is also just really fun for your dog, and for you!
Tips for Playing With Your Goldendoodle
Playing with your pup will likely come naturally to you, but if you’re new to owing a dog here are some tips to guide you:
- With any new toy, supervise play and show them how to use the toy
- Be patient, step back, and allow them to investigate the toy (offer gentle encouragement when needed)
- Get involved in interactive play with them when possible
- Let them lead: they’ll let you know when they’re tired or have had enough of playtime
- You can use playtime as an opportunity to practice training commands (keep things light and fun)
- Take breaks to allow your pup to rest and drink some water, keeping a close eye out for signs of over-exertion
- Set boundaries: if your dog misbehaves or bites inappropriately, end playtime
Toy Safety Advice
Ensure the toy is the right size and chew strength for your dog’s safety. Always supervise play when they’re playing with a new toy. If the toy breaks, take it away for your dog’s safety.
Goldendoodle Toy FAQs
How do you keep your Goldendoodle entertained?
Plenty of exercise, along with training and playtime will keep your Goldendoodle entertained.
Are Goldendoodles strong chewers?
Yes, Doodles are typically tough chewers so need durable toys.
What do Goldendoodles like to play?
Every dog is different and will have different preferences, so take your time to introduce different toys and see what engages them the most.
Playtime is fun for both you and your dog, and the right toy can provide hours of entertainment. With so many toys available, you’re bound to find something that your dog loves!
What is the Best Toy for Goldendoodle?
- Top Pick: KONG Jumbler Ball Dog Toy
- Second best: KONG Extreme Dog Toy
- Third best: Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy
- Recommended: Benebone Bacon Flavor Wishbone Tough Dog Chew Toy
- Recommended: ZippyPaws Skinny Peltz No Stuffing Squeaky Plush Dog Toys