Despite their tiny size, Chihuahuas have big personalities and are full of character. They’re curious, playful, and intelligent (and simply adorable in my very biased opinion). Choosing the right treat for your little pal is key to ensure they stay healthy. We’ll look at 7 treats for Chihuahuas, comparing treat type, ingredient quality, and calorie content.
The Best Treats for Chihuahuas
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Treats for Chihuahuas
American Journey Peanut Butter Recipe Grain-Free Oven Baked Crunchy Biscuit Dog Treats review
- Best biscuit treats
- Oven-baked for crunchy texture
- Natural ingredients
The American Journey Peanut Butter Recipe Grain-Free Oven Baked Crunchy Biscuit Dog Treats should be top of your list when you’re looking for the best treats for Chihuahuas. These bite-sized treats are the perfect size for your pup’s little mouth. They have a wonderful crunchy texture and a yummy peanut butter flavor to entice your dog.
I loved that these treats contained such quality natural ingredients, feeling they were good for my Chihuahua and gentle on her stomach. They contain no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, and are even grain-free. They’re only 13 calories per biscuit, and I found you can even break them up into smaller pieces easily.
- Owners loved that these treats were oven baked, feeling they made the texture crunchy for their dog
- Owners loved that these treats contained natural ingredients with no hidden nasties, feeling they were good for their dog
- Many said their dog loved these biscuits and would get very excited when they were offered
- Owners felt the peanut butter flavor and scent of these treats was appealing for their dog
- Many said these biscuits were excellent value given the amount in the pack and the low price
- Some mentioned they were a nice small size for little mouths
- Some owners worried that these treats were too hard for their dog’s teeth
- Some found their dog didn’t like these treats and wouldn’t eat them
- Some owners felt these treats weren’t good value, in particular mentioning they were expecting more treats in the bag
Greenies Teenie Dental Dog Treats review
- Best dental treats
- Vet recommended
- Cleans teeth and freshens breath
If you want a dental treat, the Greenies Teenie Dental Dog Treats are perfect, with a chewy texture and toothbrush shape to help clean your dog’s teeth as they chew. They even help to freshen your pup’s breath, so cuddle time is more pleasant. They’re recommended by the VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council), so you can trust that they’re good for your dog’s dental hygiene.
Since I struggle to brush my Chihuahua’s teeth (she’s stubborn and her tiny mouth makes it difficult), I found that these were a great option and were very effective. I liked that they contained quality ingredients including vitamins and minerals. She seemed to love the flavor and was very excited when I offered them.
These treats come in a small size specifically designed for toy breeds. They’re 26 calories per treat, making them perfect for regular dental cleaning.
- Many owners found that these treats helped to keep their dog’s teeth clean and their mouth healthy, even getting compliments from vets
- Lots of owners said their dogs loved these treats and were given them daily
- Owners of small and toy breeds loved that this size was small enough for their dog to chew comfortably
- Many said that these were the best dental treats they’d found
- Lots of owners said these treats helped to freshen their dog’s breath
- Some owners found these treats upset their dog’s digestive system
- Some stated their dog didn’t like these treats and wouldn’t eat them
- Several owners found their dog swallowed the treat too quickly, so it didn’t clean their teeth
- Some said these treats didn’t help with their dog’s dental health
- Some felt these treats were too expensive and weren’t good value
Milk-Bone Soft & Chewy Beef & Filet Mignon Recipe Dog Treats review
- Best soft treats
- Soft but chewy texture
- Real meat flavor
The Milk-Bone Soft & Chewy Beef & Filet Mignon Recipe Dog Treats are the perfect choice for Chihuahuas, especially if your furbaby has missing teeth or a sensitive mouth. These treats have a soft texture and a small size, designed to be easier to chew. They’re full of flavor for your pup, made with real beef and filet mignon to entice your dog.
I loved that these treats contained 12 vitamins and minerals to promote good health. They’re 24 calories per piece and can be broken up further if needed. I found that they were the perfect soft texture yet still chewy enough for my Chihuahua who is older and missing a few teeth.
- Owners of small and toy breed dogs, those with missing teeth, and elderly dogs found that these treats were small and soft enough for their dog to enjoy
- Most owners found that their dog loved the taste and meaty smell of these treats
- Owners liked that they could divide these treats into even smaller pieces
- Many felt that these treats were high-quality and good for their dog
- Owners liked the easy-to-use container, feeling it was a handy way to store the treats and kept them soft
- Some owners found their dog didn’t like the taste of these treats
- Some were unhappy that the treats contained some artificial ingredients, feeling they weren’t good for their dog
- Some found the treats weren’t as soft as they expected
- Some owners found these treats upset their dog’s stomach
Merrick Power Bites Real Texas Beef Recipe Grain-Free Soft & Chewy Dog Treats review
- Best training treat
- Bite-sized and low calorie
- Natural ingredients
When you’re on the hunt for the best treats for a Chihuahua, you should definitely consider the Merrick Power Bites Real Texas Beef Recipe Grain-Free Soft & Chewy Dog Treats. These bite-sized treats are the perfect size for training, or just for regular treats for tiny mouths. Made with natural ingredients including real beef and 100% free from artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives, you can rest assured that these treats are great quality for your dog.
I loved that these treats were only 5 calories each and found their small size made them such a perfect training treat. My dog loved the flavor and was very excited about them, which made them high value for training.
- Most owners loved that these treats were bite-sized, feeling they were excellent both for training and for small dogs
- Owners felt that the natural ingredients made these treats very high-quality for their dog
- Many said their dog loved the taste of these treats, making them high value
- Natural ingredients and low calories make them great for dogs on a diet or with specific dietary requirements
- Some owners mentioned you can break them up into even smaller pieces if needed
- Some owners found the treats were a harder texture than they expected, which was concerning for dogs with missing teeth or sensitive mouths in particular
- Some dogs didn’t enjoy these treats and weren’t keen on eating them
- Can be prone to drying out if not kept in a sealed packet
KONG Stuff'N Easy Treat Peanut Butter Recipe review
- Best spreadable treat
- Peanut butter flavor
- Easy to use dispenser
The KONG Stuff’N Easy Treat Peanut Butter Recipe is a fantastic choice to add to treat dispensing toys or lick mats, keeping your dog entertained for long periods. The peanut butter flavor and tempting smell will keep your dog engaged. You can adjust how much you put into their treat dispenser to keep calories low.
I loved that this treat came in an easy to dispense tube which made it much less messy than other options and easy to get into my dog’s KONG. I found my dog loved this treat and it kept her busy for ages. Top tip: you can freeze this treat inside a KONG toy to keep your dog entertained for even longer.
- Many found the dispenser easy to use, in particular mentioning it was much easier and cleaner than using a spoon
- Lots of owners found their dog loved the taste of these treat
- Many found that when combined with a treat dispenser, this treat helped to keep their dog occupied for long periods
- Owners liked that they could freeze this treat inside their dog’s treat dispenser to keep them busy for longer
- Owners found that when combined with a treat dispenser this treat helped with crate training and with redirecting destructive chewing
- Some owners felt that dog-safe peanut butter in a jar was a better alternative than this treat
- Some felt this treat was too expensive and not worth the money
- Some owners didn’t like the artificial ingredients, feeling the formula wasn’t good for their dog
- Some found this treat didn’t agree with their dog’s stomach
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Adult Gastrointestinal Dog Treats review
- Best low-fat treats
- Veterinary diet
- Promotes digestive health
If your dog is watching their weight or has a sensitive stomach, the Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Adult Gastrointestinal Dog Treats could be the best choice. This veterinary-exclusive formula is formulated with specific nutrients and a low fat content to help promote digestive health and be gentle on your dog’s tummy. At only 4.5 calories per treat, they’re a great option for dogs on a diet.
Their tasty flavor will keep your dog interested and coming back for more. If you think these could be right for your pup, you’ll need to chat with your vet for further guidance.
- Owners of dogs with digestive sensitives and specific dietary requirements said they enjoyed being able to give their dog treats that were good for their health
- Many said their dog loved the taste of these treats
- Some owners said these treats were gentle on their dog’s digestive system
- Some found that because these treats were low in calories and fat, they made excellent training treats
- Some owners stated that these treats were excellent value, especially in comparison to other similar treats
- Some owners said their dogs didn’t like these treats and wouldn’t eat them
- Packaging can be prone to breaking which some owners found frustrating
- Some said the treats were hard to break up into smaller pieces
- Some owners felt these treats were too expensive and weren’t good value
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 3 October, 2022
Things to Look for in a Treat for a Chihuahua
When you’re looking for the best treats for a Chihuahua, you can search for the following to help you make the best choice:
There are lots of different types of treats on the market, so think about what will be best for your needs. If you want a training treat, something very small in size and low calorie will be best. If you want something to keep your dog occupied, a chew or spreadable treat might be best, and so on.
A treat made with high-quality ingredients ensures it’s safe and healthy for your pup. Natural ingredients are best where possible.
A Chihuahua’s adorable tiny mouth means that they need treats that are smaller in size so that they can fit them in their mouth comfortably and chew them safely.
Since Chihuahuas are so small, they can easily gain weight quickly. It can also be very tempting to give them lots of treats because they look so cute! So, it’s important to choose treats that are low calorie and to monitor how much you’re giving them to avoid weight gain, which is bad for their long-term health.
Correct Strength for Your Dog
In general, a Chihuahua’s small mouth means that they won’t have very powerful jaws, so it’s important you don’t get a treat that’s too hard for them to chew. A lot of Chihuahuas have missing teeth or sensitive mouths, so you might choose something that’s a softer texture to make it easier for them.
Some treats will have additional benefits, such as cleaning your dog’s teeth as they chew or having ingredients that are good for their skin or coat. Look for benefits you feel will be best for your dog.
Treat Safety Advice
It’s best to supervise your dog when they’re eating a treat, especially when they’re trying something new, to ensure their safety. Never feed rawhide or bones to your dog, as they can cause blockage, perforation, and choking hazards.
Chihuahua Treats FAQs
Can Chihuahuas have treats?
Yes, of course Chihuahuas can have treats but it’s important they’re given in moderation to avoid weight gain.
What treats can Chihuahuas eat?
Chihuahuas can eat the same types of treats as other dogs (although in smaller sizes). In general, natural treats which are low in fat and calories are best.
How can you prevent weight gain in a Chihuahua?
You can prevent or tackle weight gain in your Chihuahua by ensuring they get plenty of exercise, including regular walks and playtime. You can incorporate training to increase activity levels. You can also ensure you aren’t overfeeding them (no matter how cute they are).
Chihuahuas are absolutely adorable, and they deserve tasty treats. Choosing the right treat ensures it’s healthy for your dog, so you can relax and enjoy spoiling your furbaby.
What is the Best Treat for Chihuahua?
- Top Pick: American Journey Peanut Butter Recipe Grain-Free Oven Baked Crunchy Biscuit Dog Treats
- Second best: Greenies Teenie Dental Dog Treats
- Third best: Milk-Bone Soft & Chewy Beef & Filet Mignon Recipe Dog Treats
- Recommended: True Chews Premium Jerky Cuts with Real Chicken Dog Treats
- Recommended: Merrick Power Bites Real Texas Beef Recipe Grain-Free Soft & Chewy Dog Treats
- Recommended: KONG Stuff'N Easy Treat Peanut Butter Recipe
- Recommended: Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Adult Gastrointestinal Dog Treats