As owners we love to treat our dogs, especially when they’re good boys or girls! With so many treats on the market, it can be hard to know what to choose. The best treats are healthy, high-quality, and good for your dog. We’ll look at 6 of the best treats for German Shepherds, comparing treat type, ingredient quality, and additional benefits.
The Best Treats for German Shepherds
In-Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Treats for German Shepherds
American Journey Peanut Butter Recipe Grain-Free Oven Baked Crunchy Biscuit Dog Treats review
- Best oven-baked treats
- High-quality natural ingredients
- Real peanut butter
The American Journey Peanut Butter Recipe Grain-Free Oven Baked Crunchy Biscuit Dog Treats should be at the top of your list when you’re looking for the best treats for German Shepherds. These crunchy biscuits are oven-baked, making them the perfect texture for your pup. They’re full of natural ingredients including real peanut butter, with no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, or grain.
They’re very high-quality and gentle on your pup’s tummy, making them great for dogs with sensitive stomachs. I loved that they were bite sized, making them great for a little snack or for use as training treats. They’re fairly low in calories and are even low price!
- Owners loved that these treats were oven baked, stating it made them have crunchy texture which their dog enjoyed
- Owners loved that the treats contained natural ingredients with no hidden nasties, feeling they were a high-quality option for their dog
- Most owners found their dog loved these treats and would keep coming back for more
- Owners felt the smell and flavor of these treats was very appealing for their dog
- Many felt that these treats were good value, stating the price was low and the quality was high
- Some owners felt the treats were too hard and worried that they weren’t good for their dog’s teeth
- Some owners felt the treats weren’t good value, saying they didn’t feel there were enough treats in the bag
- Some owners found their dog didn’t like these treats and wouldn’t eat them
Triumph Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Jerky Dog Treats review
- Best jerky treats
- 100% natural ingredients
- Real salmon flavor
If your dog loves jerky, the Triumph Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Jerky Dog Treats is an excellent option. They’re 100% natural and free of artificial additives, fillers, and grain, making them very healthy for your dog. The real salmon flavor will keep your dog coming back for more.
My dogs loved these treats and I felt they were very high-quality for them. I liked that they were a good source of vitamins and minerals for my dogs, as well as being a tasty treat.
- Most owners loved that these treats were completely natural with no artificial ingredients, making them good for their dog
- Many owners said their dogs loved these treats, even for dogs who are usually picky about what they eat
- Can be broken up into smaller pieces or used whole as a chew, with owners liking the versatility of this jerky
- Owners of dogs with special diets or allergies liked that these treats were a safe option for their dog
- Many said that these treats were high-quality, and that they would recommend them to other dog owners
- Can be prone to breakage during postage, which owners often found frustrating
- Due to natural ingredients, treats can go off quickly once the pack is open
- Some found these treats didn’t agree with their dog’s digestive system
- Some owners said their dog didn’t like these treats and wouldn’t eat them
Himalayan Pet Supply Natural Cheese Dog Treats review
- Best chew treat
- Completely natural
If you want the best chew for a German Shepherd, the Himalayan Pet Supply Natural Cheese Dog Treats are a perfect, all-natural choice. Made with an ancient Himalayan recipe formulated yak and cow milk, these treats are free of any artificial ingredients. They’re even gluten and grain-free, and the production process removes any lactose so they’re lactose-free too!
These treats are extremely healthy and high-quality for your dog. I found that this chew was very long-lasting, standing up to days of tough chewing from my dog. You can even microwave the little pieces left at the end to make cheesy puff treats, so nothing goes to waste!
This chew promotes dental health, cleaning your dog’s teeth and stimulating their gums as they chew. Despite being made with cheese; they don’t have a strong smell or leave stains around the home.
- Most owners found that these treats were long-lasting, with some mentioning they lasted hours or even days of regular, tough chewing
- Many said their dog absolutely loved this chew and that they were a favorite in their house
- Many owners said they liked the option to microwave the end of the treat, making it last longer (and their dog enjoyed it too)
- Owners liked that they were a safe, long-lasting alternative to rawhide or bones
- Owners liked that this chew didn’t leave mess or stains on the floor, or cause any smells
- Many liked that this chew contained only natural ingredients, feeling it was great quality for their dog
- Some owners felt that this chew was too hard for their dog, worrying about their teeth or finding that the texture caused shards to break off
- Some owners found this chew didn’t last as long as expected
- Some owners found their dog wasn’t interested in this chew and wouldn’t try it
- Some found this chew didn’t agree with their dog’s digestive system
- Some owners felt that this treat was too expensive and not good value
Pedigree Dentastix Large Original Dog Treats review
- Best dental treat
- X-shape design
- Cleans teeth effectively
The Pedigree Dentastix Large Original Dog Treats are 1 of the best dental treats for German Shepherds, with clinically proven results. They clean your dog’s teeth as they chew, removing plaque and reducing the build-up of tartar. The X-shaped design helps to get into those hard-to-reach areas and increases their ability to clean your pup’s teeth.
These treats are a regular addition in our home, as they are for many dog owners. They’re an easy, quick way to enhance your dog’s oral hygiene routine. I love that the ingredients even help to freshen your dog’s breath.
- Most owners said their dog loved these treats and they would give them regularly
- Many owners said these treats helped to keep their dog’s teeth clean, keeping build up and bad breath at bay, with some even saying their vet was pleased with the change in their dog’s teeth
- Many owners said that these treats were great value for money, especially when compared to other similar dental treats
- Owners who struggle to brush their dog’s teeth properly said these were an easy, stress-free way to improve their dog’s oral hygiene
- Many said this was their go-to dental treat and they had them on auto ship
- Some owners said they didn’t like the smell of these treats, stating there was a strong odor
- Some said their dog didn’t like these treats and wouldn’t eat them
- Some found these treats irritated their dog’s digestive system
- Some stated that the chews didn’t help to clean their dog’s teeth or improve their breath
- Some owners found their dog could eat these quickly, so they felt they weren’t effective at cleaning their teeth
Merrick Power Bites Real Texas Beef Recipe Grain-Free Soft & Chewy Dog Treats review
- Best training treat
- Bite-sized and low calorie
- Real beef
The Merrick Power Bites Real Texas Beef Recipe Grain-Free Soft & Chewy Dog Treats are a fantastic choice for training or even just for daily treats. They’re made with natural ingredients, including real beef, to ensure they’re good for your pup and to keep them coming back for more. They’re 100% free from artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, grain, gluten, and any other hidden nasties.
I loved that these treats were bitesize and so low in calories at only 5 calories per treat, finding they made the perfect training treat. My dogs loved them, and I liked knowing they were good for them. The meaty smell and flavor made them a great, high-value training treat.
- Owners found that these treats were the perfect size for training
- Owners liked that these treats were low calorie, making them great for regular treats or for dogs who were trying to lose weight
- Most owners felt that these treats were very high-quality, in particular mentioning the natural ingredients
- Many owners found that these treats were gentle on their dog’s digestive system, even for those with sensitive stomachs or specific dietary requirements
- Most owners found that their dogs loved these treats and would get very excited when they were offered
- Some didn’t like the texture of these treats, feeling they were too tough or chewy for their dog
- Some stated their dog didn’t like these treats and wouldn’t eat them
- Some found these treats irritated their dog’s digestive system
- Some said the treats weren’t as high-quality as they expected
SmartBones Skin & Coat Care Chicken Chews Dog Treats review
- Best for additional benefits
- Good for skin and coat
- Safe alternative to rawhide
The SmartBones Skin & Coat Care Chicken Chews Dog Treats are chews full of flavor and with a ton of health benefits for your pup. They’re enriched with vitamins and minerals to keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy. They even help to clean your dog’s teeth as they chew, making them great for dental health.
I loved that these treats were a safe alternative to rawhide and were made with real chicken. My dogs seemed to love the flavor and I generally felt they were high-quality.
- Owners loved that these treats were good for their dog’s skin and coat, with some even saying they had noticed a visible difference since they’d started giving their dog the treats
- Owners typically found that their dog loved these treats and they felt they were high-quality for their pup
- Many felt that these treats were a safe alternative to rawhide or bones
- Many said the treats smelt pleasant and they felt this was appealing to their dog
- Some mentioned they liked that these treats had dental benefits
- Some owners said they didn’t see an improvement in their dog’s skin or coat
- Some said their dog didn’t like these treats and wouldn’t eat them
- Many owners said these treats don’t last long, especially for larger dogs, and are more like a soft treat than a chew
- Some said the ingredients weren’t as high-quality as they expected, and they prefer more natural ingredients
The Cheapest Prices Found Today
Prices last updated: 3 October, 2022
Things to Look for in a Treat for a German Shepherd
When you’re looking for the best treat for a German Shepherd, it’s a good idea to look for the following:
High-quality ingredients ensure the treat is safe and healthy for your dog. In general, natural ingredients are best where possible with little to no artificial ingredients.
Consider what the purpose of the treat is, for example you might want a treat for training, so a smaller, low-calorie treat will be best. Alternatively, you might want a something to keep your dog occupied for a while, so a larger, tougher chew would be better.
Correct Size for Your Dog
The treat you choose should be the right size for your dog, which is more important if you’re looking for a chew. A chew that’s too small will likely not last long, while something that is too large may not fit in your dog’s mouth comfortably. German Shepherds have such powerful jaws, so it’s important a chew is quite large and strong if you want it to last a while.
Enticing Flavors and Smells
The treat you choose should have tasty flavors and enticing smells to ensure your dog is excited by the treat and enjoys eating it. If your dog enjoys flavors such as fish (my dog’s favorite) or meat, there are plenty of options to ensure they get their favorite taste.
How many calories a treat contains is important to ensure your dog stays at a healthy weight. A treat that’s high in calories is fine to offer now and then, but something lower calorie is better for frequent treats.
Some treats will have additional benefits for your dog, such as cleaning their teeth as they chew or being good for their coat. Some treats are even calming to help anxious dogs! Take your time to think about what will benefit your dog.
Treat Safety Advice
Always supervise your dog when you give them a treat, especially if it’s the first time they’ve tried it. Never give your dog rawhide or bones, as these can cause blockage and choking hazards.
German Shepherd Treats FAQ
What do German Shepherds like to eat the most?
German Shepherds will often like meat or fish flavors in treats the most, but every dog is different. Take your time to experiment with different flavors to see what your dog enjoys.
Seeing your dog enjoy a yummy treat you’ve chosen for them brings such joy, and let’s face it they’re so cute that they deserve it! Choosing the right treat ensures you can give your dog something both tasty and healthy.
What is the Best Treat for German Shepherd?
- Top Pick: American Journey Peanut Butter Recipe Grain-Free Oven Baked Crunchy Biscuit Dog Treats
- Second best: Triumph Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Jerky Dog Treats
- Third best: Himalayan Pet Supply Natural Cheese Dog Treats
- Recommended: Pedigree Dentastix Large Original Dog Treats
- Recommended: Merrick Power Bites Real Texas Beef Recipe Grain-Free Soft & Chewy Dog Treats
- Recommended: SmartBones Skin & Coat Care Chicken Chews Dog Treats